Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Courtesy Parking

Carol and I are listed in the current directory as having courtesy parking available. We have sewage, water and 30 amp electric. To date no one has called or inquired about using our facilities. We are close both to Virginia Beach (45 mins) and the Outer Banks of NC about (1 hour). I was curious if any others have offered courtesy parking and if anyones ever uses this feature.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
parking

I have not had the chance to use this great feature, but certinally will when I start traveling more. Thanks for providing.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Thumbs up Now that's a generous offer ...

Rick,

We're out here on the West Coast ... looking to go fulltime in about a month or two.

So pencil us in for sometime in the future.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Coutersy parling now that is a cool feature.
Porky does that Hensley Hitch make backing up and parking really easier? What happened it your old avatar?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Tinsel,
put down that Martini and pay attention to typing..
Old 03-09-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Burp !!!
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:00 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You guys

I also have courtesy parking, though it is just a wide spot on the field next to the driveway. Good for an overnight stop if someone doesn't want to go pay for a campground, and safer than any Walmart!

I hope we'll have the opportunity to use Courtesy Parking while on our trip around the country this summer. I think it would be fun just as a way to meet other 'streamers on our journey.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Confused

I will plead ignorance, as I have never been to a campground with courtesy parking. Does that mean that you get out of YOUR tow vehicle, and someone demonstrates the right way to BACK it in to your sight? Do you tip the person?

Tent camped up until now,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 06:37 PM   #9
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Tom, that would be valet parking. Courtesy parking is when a private property owner allows you to park overnight, usually free gratis.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I first found out about it when I joined the WBCCI. In their yearly directory of members the folks who have courtesy parking are listed. These are people who allow you park for a night (free). (It might be a nice touch to invite them for happy hour). They may provide some water and elec or it may be dry camp. Either way you can be spending time ( making new friends) with someone you deffinately have something in common with.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
....WBCCI. In their yearly directory of members the folks who have courtesy parking are listed. These are people who allow you park for a night (free).
This was one of the key features we picked up on as benefits to becoming WBCCI Members! and was our first thoughts as we were driving down to pick up our new A/S in February. Of setting up the perfect parking spot on our driveway that we could run power & water to - along with offering "dumping" services to our on site septic.

We live in the heart of the Kawartha's nestled in a rustic but quaint Hemlock Forest (Chattering Woods) named for its talkative squirrels. A popular vacationing spot in the Canadian Shield right next to one of Southern Ontario's most beautiful lakes - Stoney Lake (On the Trent Severn Waterway).

With our recent waterfront purchase this past October - a nice 8 min evening stroll can offer our new A/S guests (and hopefully life long friends), a moon light paddle, or a star gazing cruise, serenaded by the ever endearing call of the Loon.

At this rate - the courtesy parking will be more than one night at a time

Still anxiously waiting to Join WBCCI - we have our numbers but no one wants our money - go figure

I think the coutesy parking is a fabulous idea and so glad that it has survived all these years. I know not all members have the ability to offer such parking services and may feel that they should not use the service because they can not reciprocate.

But I don't think that was what Walley had in mind. It was about making friendships and experiencing new and special out of the way places - not offered to any other "camper". People who were able to offer their place met many who could not return the favour of their driveway - but certainly met up in caravans and other near by camping areas to forge the initial friendship year after year.

It is this whole aspect (and okay the look of a nice Shinny A/S) that is calling Peter and I off the waterways and onto the roadways!

We can't wait to get the list and see all the neat places we can travel and meet people!

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Courtesy parking needed along east coast

I'm going to be driving north from FL to VT starting next Sunday. Anyone in SC care to offer courtesy parking on Sunday night (3/14/04)? I'll be headed up I-95 as far as I-26, then to Columbia and I-77.

Also, how about Virginia near I-81 or PA near Harrisburg on Monday night?

I have the WBCCI book but it would be great to meet another Forum member along the route... I only need room for a 17' Caravel.

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Rluhr you are going too far west for me to help you. The valley of Virginia should be beautiful. 81 north of Winchester is a little bumpy and the truck drivers love to make good time. Just enjoy the scenery and stay safe. If you come along the coast be sure to give us a call.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:35 AM   #14
MrTimbo

1975 31' Sovereign
Newberry , South Carolina
Rluhr
I'll offer you courtesy parking for Sunday night. I am located about 40 miles further up I 26 from Columbia in Newberry. I can give you directions to get back to I 77 on Monday. If you are interested let me know.

Tim
MrTimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by GT6921

We live in the heart of the Kawartha's nestled in a rustic but quaint Hemlock Forest (Chattering Woods) named for its talkative squirrels. A popular vacationing spot in the Canadian Shield right next to one of Southern Ontario's most beautiful lakes - Stoney Lake (On the Trent Severn Waterway).

With our recent waterfront purchase this past October - a nice 8 min evening stroll can offer our new A/S guests (and hopefully life long friends), a moon light paddle, or a star gazing cruise, serenaded by the ever endearing call of the Loon.

WOW! That sounds like a summer paradise. I bet you get lots of takers with a description like that. What an awesome idea courtesy parking is!!!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thumbs up

Rick,

Will say hello on our yearly trip to Ocracoke from Richmond!!!
We go each September for the last 15 years!!! Not sure if we will have our coach by then (should be ready by October!)
Let me offer our street side parking in Richmond VA! Before October we will have 30 amp service and cable!
If you happen to be a Nascar fan consider your self invited!! We have parking at our house in Richmond and my parents place Bristol. both spots less than 2 miles from the track..
Look forward to getting to know you!

Abe
vajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Thumbs up This is GREAT

You guys are too much. I got THREE offers of courtesy parking based on this thread, and I wish I could accept them all!

I'm going right past Mr Timbo's place so I'm going to stop there Sunday night. (Thanks, you're saving me from a night at Wal-Mart!)

From there I am headed up I-77 to I-81 all the way to PA. Anyone along that route in the area of northern VA, western MD, or southern PA who wants to talk aluminum for a few hours? I've got a vintage Caravel and the tour is free!

-- Rich (smiling wide thanks to generous Forum members)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:29 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Rich, I'm afraid all I can offer you is a spot that is only 20 miles from your starting point. but its on the way!

Seriously, I should have indicated "courtesy parking" available at my house. There's room. no hookups, but there's room. Its woodsy, too.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Wow!!

This is sooooo coooool!! My 30' Classic is still a couple months away and already I'm looking forward to joining the WBCCI!

I'd love to stay in some of your "facilities" sometime. Unfortunately, my home is in a restricted development so I can't reciprocate.

John
Old 03-10-2004, 04:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Abe, you couldn't pick a better time to be in Ocracoke than Sept & Oct. Most of the tourist have headed north and locals and fishermen (sometimes one and the same) are about the the only ones there. You don't have to have a 4x4 to drive south to the point, don't know if you have ever done that. The road looks a little scary but I have done it in a sedan. Let me know when the time gets closer. BTW the ENCU has a rally on Hatteras in mid Oct weather permiting it would be fun to slip over there for a day or two while you are down.

Rick