Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlyweds
Ok, as you can tell we're new to this. What is courtesy parking?
It's an offer for you the traveler to spend the night in the hosts driveway, field, or where ever parking spot. There are various available hookups but most supply water, others have full hookups. Generally it's for you to use as you travel through an area for an overnight. I've never heard of anyone charging for the stay, and you can count on meeting some great Airstreamers.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Ok, as you can tell we're new to this. What is courtesy parking?
Courtesy parking is an overnight stay with another Airstreamer that has space and sometimes amenities to share, free of charge, as a courtesy to travelers passing through.

I have courtesy parked a couple times...mostly when traveling by myself. In a lot of areas, I feel more comfortable pulling into a "friend's" driveway than a Wal-Mart for an overnighter or paying for a campground when I am just passing through. Besides, it's a lot more fun...the best is when they are someone from the forums, you get to meet the person behind the keyboard. I try to treat for dinner as a thank-you, but so far have not been successful ~

I have stayed at Wal-Marts too...but the parking lot cleaners at 3:00am leave a lot to be desired when I'm trying to rest up for a drive the next day. It's a little more "do-able" if the driving is shared. I've never stayed more than a single night - unless it was part of the trip to visit friends along the way to somewhere else.

Unfortunately, I don't have courtesy parking to offer (bummer of living "in town")...unless pulling up along side the front curb is okay. Our pad is filled up with our own trailers, but we will run a hose and extension cord to your trailer and we have a dump if you need it. You would also most definately be invited into our guest room and offered dinner & breakfast. Don't get that at Wal-Mart!

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Stoughton , Wisconsin
wow!

Wow! I had NO idea, that's amazing!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Wow! I had NO idea, that's amazing!!!
Welcome to the Airstream family where there are no stangers, just friends you haven't met yet!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
courtesy parking level 1 is under Walmart rules - ask, park, be inconspicuous, and leave with no trace of being there. Plan on no more than this.

Level 2 is taking advantage of amenities as invited by the host. Electric is common, water next, sewer occasionally.

Level 3 is a host visit - by invitation of the host you may participate as their guest in their lives and homes and activities. Be very careful here not to intrude and be conservative in how you perceive invitations.

Level 4 is a home based variant of buddy camping where a relationship has developed, you become a part of the family, and it is expected you will take some initiative in the relationship affairs and activities.

Note that courtesy parking guests should always feel encouraged to invite the host to visit them. You have your own home so invite your host to your abode for a cup of coffee or an RV inspection or whatever. Be friendly, outgoing, and welcoming but not intrusive or obnoxious. If the opportunity arises for you to contribute in some way, offer to do so. Use your judgment on things like minor cleanups or fix-ups that you see might need done.

What you get and what you give are deeply connected. Enjoy your travels by meeting new people and developing new relationships - they can be the most important benefit of using your Airstream.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Longest stay

We love to have company and enjoy a nice visit to other units as they park here. The longest visit was almost a week. We helped a new friend fix some brakes and do a little repair work. Larry usually has lots of tools available! We have had fun showing folks around our area of Ohio. The Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame is only 35 min.away, along with all of the other museums and places to see around Cleveland. Lake Erie is not that far from us either. Various Metro-Parks and we live a small village that is nice a quiet most of the time. So courtesy parking is another additonal way to see the country side! Get out and camp!! Driveway camping is excellent!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
Courtesy Parking

To the left side of posts there is quick links , click on COURTESY PARKING and a members list will come up with those members that offer parking at or near their residence free of charge. The list is not by state,so you have to search by going down the names till you can find a city and state you need. I WISH YOU COULD SEARCH BY STATE !!!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #22
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57
I WISH YOU COULD SEARCH BY STATE !!!
You can - click on the Courtesy Parking link, then click "Search Members" and "Advanced Search", and enter the state you're looking for.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaubill57
... I WISH YOU COULD SEARCH BY STATE !!!
You can. Select "member list", once you are in member list, there is a "search members" option on the far right below the alphabet. Select "advanced search", this will take you to a search screen, on this screen you can put in a state and then at the bottom, there is a "courtesy parking" field, select yes.

Hope this helps

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Courtesy parking is the best kept secret in the WBCCI! For those of you who are WBCCI members, there is a "Courtesy Parking" chapter in your annual membership directory. The listings are conveniently sorted by city name within the state name. The list contains the last name of the member, their WBCCI number and their telephone number.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lake Forest , Illinois
Hi Dufferin
On a slightly different subject how do you like the 28' International. We are considering a 28' but haven't determined what year. There are 08's and we are also considering an 09 which has a price increase. How useful is sofa? It is the sofa that we really want as the dinnette is a little uncomfotable unless made into a large seating area.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #26
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Well, I hate to see lobster go to waste! How about packing some up and putting it on a plane to Vancouver?!
Don't worry Cam, no lost... but hard to choose between scallops, bar clams, snow crabs...

Since you'll be without a house for a while and as we haven't met in Vancouver this winter why don't you take the road heading East and use that courtesy parking I have... you'll have a better time than at BCRV...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferin
Don't worry Cam, no lost... but hard to choose between scallops, bar clams, snow crabs...

Since you'll be without a house for a while and as we haven't met in Vancouver this winter why don't you take the road heading East and use that courtesy parking I have... you'll have a better time than at BCRV...
I'd love to, but sadly I need to keep working to pay for this house. I think I'll be able to take a vacation in about 20 years
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #28
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I'd love to, but sadly I need to keep working to pay for this house. I think I'll be able to take a vacation in about 20 years
If the spot I have was in west van I could have stop working right away... but may be in 20 years

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

http://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote