Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Countdown is on!

My husband and I leave in about 10 days on our first big outing in our Eddie Bauer. We are very excited to be going places we have never gone before! Our first stop is St. Augustine for my niece's wedding and will be there through Monday morning. From there our extremely tentative plans are: Spanish Fort, Beaumont, Austin/San Antonio area, Carlsbad, Santa Fe/Albuquerque area, Glen Canyon and from there not sure, but would love to do Fishlake National Forest and then into Colorado. It looks like there are areas that still won't be open (I guess being a Florida girl - I didn't think about that!). Any suggestions or comments on campgrounds, things to see, places to go would be GREATLY appreciated. I am still working, but hoping everything goes smoothly enough while I'm gone that we will be able to take a month off and I don't want to miss a thing!! On the advice of many of you folks, we have not made any reservations because we want to be free to stay in a particular area if we really like it until we are ready to go - scares me to death! Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
My husband and I leave in about 10 days on our first big outing in our Eddie Bauer. We are very excited to be going places we have never gone before! Our first stop is St. Augustine for my niece's wedding and will be there through Monday morning. From there our extremely tentative plans are: Spanish Fort, Beaumont, Austin/San Antonio area, Carlsbad, Santa Fe/Albuquerque area, Glen Canyon and from there not sure, but would love to do Fishlake National Forest and then into Colorado. It looks like there are areas that still won't be open (I guess being a Florida girl - I didn't think about that!). Any suggestions or comments on campgrounds, things to see, places to go would be GREATLY appreciated. I am still working, but hoping everything goes smoothly enough while I'm gone that we will be able to take a month off and I don't want to miss a thing!! On the advice of many of you folks, we have not made any reservations because we want to be free to stay in a particular area if we really like it until we are ready to go - scares me to death! Thank you all for your help!
I think your timing is excellent. You'll be on the move while school is still in session - and the snowbirds will be moving back north. The weather should be pleasant (Please Let this winter END!) and not as hot as it can get in high summer. Take your time and get settled in. Check your tires daily - especially in hot weather and remember to not set any goals that keep you on the road from dawn to dusk.

Happy trails. Paula
Old 04-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Thanks Paula! I love your posts! I agree with everything you are saying. I believe our longest days will be getting to Spanish Fort and Beaumont. I figured if I ever want my husband to go on long trips again, I better make it enjoyable for him too!! Laura
Old 04-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Enjoy it.
You will find that you always have a. "Countdown". After this trip, you will countdown the days until the next.
You will always have several or many countdowns- x days till this trip or y days till that trip-
I count down other things besides trips in the Airstream- like 17 days till my truck is paid off...
X more days till Friday or the weekend...
6 days till the Bikes on Bricks motorcycle rally in our town...
14 days till the Magnolia Messenger RV rally at Lake Tiak O'Khata...
20 days till a weekend at Yocona Ridge campground for our granddaughter's 1st birthday...
27 days till another weekend at Yocona Ridge campground for repairs to my wife's cousin's (cousin-in-law?) house...
After that, more countdowns- we have lots of countdowns...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
You are right about that! I guess it's the countdowns that keep us going! Laura
Old 04-06-2014, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's the excitement or anticipation-
Like a kid that can't sleep on Christmas Eve wondering what Santa will bring-
For me is just like that-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
Good for you Laura. We are also in "countdown" mode. My last work day is Dec. 3. After 38+ years with one company I will be officially retired Jan. 1. It is a very exciting year for us. I am making changes and preparing our AS for some serious travels across this wonderful country. Maybe we will cross paths one day. Have a great trip. And if you are hungry when passing through Lake Charles be sure to take the SteamBoat Bills exit right off of I-10 for some fantastic seafood :-)
Steve & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Hi Laura,

I have a couple if suggestions for your planned trip. I'm not sure when you'll be in San Antonio but Fiesta San Antonio runs through April 27th. Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More
My husband and I went many years ago and had a blast. If you get a chance to see the day or evening parade -do it! I normally couldn't get my husband to go to a parade but he loved these. The Boy Scouts sold folding chair seats on the route and you needed them as the parades are long ( and festive!). It's been many years so you may want to check.

I know you are going without reservations but I recommend you try and get reservations for Pecan Grove Campground right in downtown Austin. It's a funky city campground in a happening area that puts you within walking distance of most of Austin; Lady Bird Lake that goes through the city and has biking, walking paths all around it, kayaking, Zilker Park, downtown, SoCo etc. if you go, hook a right out of the campground and eat at Shady Grove a two minute walk from the campground. Casual restaurant. The green chili fries are great! Nice outdoor seating. The outdoor bathrooms are in a refurbished Spartan Trailer.

About an hour from Austin in the hill country is Fredericksburg, Tx. We have just driven through but it's on my list to stop at next time we're out that way. The town has a Bavarian theme and great shopping. We went off the Main Street a block or two and there are lots of beautiful historic and older bungalows that are beautiful. Nice Texas architecture. I'd love to explore that town more.

Your trip sounds wonderful and relaxing. Have a great time!

Karen
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Remax , Santa Fe skies campground in Santa Fe a nice place to stay, we are having another week end rally there June 5th-9th.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Thank you so much for your information Karen and Lugi123! So thrilled to hear about everything going on in San Antonio Karen, so that sounds like FUN!! Steve and Mary, I hope one day we can cross paths and I appreciate the recommendation on Steam Boat Bills! Sounds great!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Good luck on your trip, ReMax gal. Beaumont is about a 12 hour drive from Gainesville, FL, FYI.

We just returned from the Florida State Rally at Sunshine Key RV park in the Florida Keys. Very pleasant stay, and if not for the rally being there, the place would have been a ghost town. Weather was a bit windy, but VERY pleasant.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If you are ever our way we have courtesy parking.
Come see us.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If you are ever our way we have courtesy parking.
Come see us.

How sweet of you! I may have to take you up on it one day! The same is most definitely extended to you if you are ever in south central Florida! Would love that!
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Hi, we like to camp at Gulf Shores State Park. Each site has full hook ups, a lake for kayaking, paved bike trails, swimming pool, nice fishing pier on the beach. It is about 45 minutes south off the interstate in Gulf Shores Al. We will be there for spring break.
Another place just off I-10 between Spanish Fort, Al and Mobile, Al is Meaher State Park. It is nice for a quick stop while traveling. You can see the campground on Mobile Bay as you cross it on i-10. It is close to Five Rivers Resourse Center, great seafood restaurants on the Causeway.
Also want to mention that the Jass Festival will be going on between April 25 and May 4th this year in New Orleans. I went about three years ago and had a great time. The music and food is so New Orleans. There is a RV park that is gated in New Orleans, not far from the French Quarter. We meet some friends that were staying there. Was surprised how nice it was.
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Wow! Thank you! Good information!