Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Could have been bad

Yesterday, we were towing our Avion in SW Missouri. We were on I-49 just south of I-44. There is an entrance ramp (a clover leaf kind of entrance) that is mainly used by cars and trucks that have been at a Love's station that is at that exit. A semi was on that entrance ramp just as we were coming to it. Our speed would have put us way past the ramp by the time the semi got there and we needed the I-44 east exit less than 1/4 mile ahead, but the driver was coming wayyyyy too fast and he must have been heavy because his momentum pushed him into our lane. I saw this happening, knew we were clear on the left, so I moved into the left lane to avoid him smashing into the right side of our Avion.

I'm glad I had room to move left, or we would have been hit, fer shur.

Not placing the blame entirely on the trucker..... Replaying that scenario in my head, I should have slowed and given that truck room in the event that he MIGHT overshoot that ramp like he did.

Will surely remember that in the future.

( And, even though I can supposedly travel at 70-75 mph with the tires that are on our trailer ( which I think is foolish under even the best conditions), I was doing our normal 60 mph max, so that helped with the evasive maneuver. )

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad everyone is okay.

Maggie
Old 05-22-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Close one, you paying attention helped. Good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Good move. Rule you learned, fortunately with no incident, when possible yield to 18 wheelers. I figure they are working, I am no longer, let them go. Really glad nothing happened.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Glad you are OK. Had a close-call with a semi in the 90's with our 25' in a construction zone with no spare room in any lane. The semi was barreling down an entrance ramp with no way to merge safely onto the Interstate without ramming the line of cars. At night to boot. We saw him ahead of time and quickly slowed way down to create space, flashed our lights, and he moved in just before going in the construction ditch on his right, or slamming into the other cars to his left in our lane.

The trucker was very appreciative and waved and flashed his lights, as we passed him later. We both woke up a LOT!

It happened so quickly . . .

One of our closest calls ever . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
On numerous occasions we have had Semis move to the left lane to let us in. They move to the left lane if possible when passing someone on the side of the road. They are not able to accelerate and brake like a sports car and like us need a break/brake from time to time. Glad you were able to give it to them.

Generally, I am able to rationalize a different perspective for folks who are working. The repair van, the commuters, the delivery truck and the road crew all get a pass when possible.

The mother going to pick up the kids, the salesman late for a meeting and the student heading to class are a bit difficult to spot.

You do the best you can to be civil and help folks out. That lets me justify running in the next lane to not have to make one of those rapid transitions at the last minute or slam on the brakes when they just are not looking.

My CEO, assigned the job when I retired, has been saying for years "They are all out to get you!" She is now and always has been correct. Drive defensively and plan your moves a long way ahead. The smoother you transition the safer you are. When that does not work, slowing is not a crime. Do not be afraid to turn on the flashers. It's easy to turn them off when the hazard clears.

Again, really glad you are all safe. Thenks for posting the experience. We all need a reminder from time to time and straightening aluminum and healing body parts is a very bad way to get that reminder.

Travel safe, because you have to. Only way to get to the next smile! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Watch for crazy people. They're everywhere!
Glad you were wide awake. Good job!
fwjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
Your anticipation saved you it sounds like. Having a contingency plan is absolutely necessary whether towing or not. It is so much better to hear about avoided crashes than the ones that did happen and seemed to be avoidable
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Our Oregon traffic law requires the right lane traffic to slow down to allow on-ramp vehicles to merge if both will be at the same spot in the right lane at the same time. If there is an accident, the right lane vehicle is at fault.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #10
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
Our Oregon traffic law requires the right lane traffic to slow down to allow on-ramp vehicles to merge if both will be at the same spot in the right lane at the same time. If there is an accident, the right lane vehicle is at fault.

Do they also have yield signs on the interstate where the right lane must yield for vehicles that are not on the highway yet?

Seems bass-akwards to me.

Note: Came home this afternoon. Got parked in the back yard before the rain started. Had a nice weekend in Branson.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 05-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
one of the biggest gripes i see is drivers coming onto the interstate at 45MPH trying to merge in 70mph traffice. they give you room to get up to speed so step on the gas dumbass..

If I see one coming up the ramp i try to pace them to allow them room to get in or move or and give them the lane if possible..

sometime i have to slam the door on them cause they are too dumb to get in traffic.. I leave them sitting on the side of the road with no place to go but the rumble stips.. ohwell

that one one thing i taught my kids when learning to drive... get you speed up with traffice coming up the merge lane, put on your blinker and folks will, most of the time, let you in.

If not speed up and cut the bastard off..
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
if you are talking about the right interstate lane, then this is so wrong. But then again I see its Oregon so I guess it makes sense.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #13
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post

that one one thing i taught my kids when learning to drive... get you speed up with traffice coming up the merge lane, put on your blinker and folks will, most of the time, let you in.

Had a perfect example of a driver who had SOMEONE in their past teach them how to do it........: we're rolling along at about 62..... There's a long entrance ramp on our right. NICE Mercedes E-class merging on. He sees that we both have lots of room, he sees that I'm at a slower pace..... He puts his foot in it ( blinker on ) and comes in my lane well ahead of me, doing 70-75mph.

Unfortunately, the exception, not the rule.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 05-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
if you are talking about the right interstate lane, then this is so wrong. But then again I see its Oregon so I guess it makes sense.

I was thinking the same thing. Since you said it, I'll just say, "What he said!"

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 05-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
California tried the law to have the merger have the right-a-way - caused to many accidents. They changed back in less than a year.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I had a good friend in a very similar situation on I 44 where the tractor trailer was accelerating quickly on the ramp. She moved to the left lane and was passing the slower truck which had just moved into the right lane that she exited. As she passed the tractor trailer who was next to her on the ramp (both traveling down hill), her trailer swayed into the truck and he clipped the trailer which sent it into a sway. It ended up she lost control of the swaying trailer and her trailer was destroyed and her Suburban ended up on it's side. She was okay along with her two dog companions. A nice passerby followed her to the hospital (along with the dogs) and drove her home which was about an hour northeast of the accident scene. She noted to me that she probably should have either slowed to allow the truck to enter in front of her.

One of the reasons I stay around 60 when towing is the ability to react. Many a time I've seen that semi on the ramp and have backed off to allow it to enter the Interstate in front of me.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
. . .
If not speed up and cut the bastard off..
Really?

That is what that semi did to us many years ago, almost causing a major accident. [Post #5] But for our quick defensive and courteous braking to let him in, . . .

[not something to suggest IMO, even jokingly . . . ]

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Another i44 scare. Not to long ago we were on 44 going from colaw Rv at Carthage no to Springfield traveling in the fast lane at about 65. A semi in front of me jerked into the right lane .in front of me was a car half way in the road with 2 people changing a tire on the traffic side in the road. The truck to my right locked up all 16 wheels and I was able to pull to the right and miss them. I probably missed them by 3-4 inches. I was so shook up I had to pull over. Thank god the trucker to my right saw what was happening and reacted. Call the no highway police and was told they already had cars on the way. Someone else had stopped to help them get it off the road and they refused and appeared to be drunk.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwjumper View Post
Watch for crazy people. They're everywhere!

Glad you were wide awake. Good job!

I say that all the time!

And, they seem to be breeding!!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Since you said it, I'll just say, "What he said!"

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W

The point I was making is that if you anticipate the merging vehicle's entry point you can decide if it is safe to maintain speed where you will be ahead of it or slow down to allow it to enter without racing it to be in front. I believe that is the basis of this vehicle code in Oregon where the right lane vehicle has a better view than the merging vehicle.

I am sure there are laws in your states that would seem strange to others. No need to slam Oregon, we love this beautiful state. You and avionstream must have had a bad experience here to make such a negative statement and if so, I am sorry that the good didn't outweigh the bad.