Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , on the road
Thumbs up Could be a new Airstream park in Hill Country TX ?

Got your attention ! Just checking to see what kind of response may have a good chance of developing a airstream park in the hill country area on the Laino river, we have a large group of airstream people in TX, this opportunity may just present it self by summer at a existing park on the river so what I am looking into who would come I aways try to have airstreamers at the park Rondi and I work at, thought this will take it to the next level will work well with my airstream restore and polish I started in Johnson City so what you think ? Sean
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
My wife and I could be tempted to stay there, but I do have a question. I grew up in the Hill Country. Where is the Laino River?

Just kidding. Don't ya hate autocorrect sometimes? Where on the Llano River are you contemplating this park?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
do not have the exact location yet but off hwy 29 between kingsland and Llano, it is on the river with canoe access will be touring it soon I am hoping it has a close by area for my shop so I don't have to drive to Johnson city to work on the trailers my customers need done, would have been nice for our easter rally but guess looks like a May river rally maybe in order, many wants us to do another central TX rally this year well I guess it will be Hill country river rally hope we have water !
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
we will go with our hearts , Texas
If I knew how to pull my AS and work the dang thing I would go but God took hubby without leaving me instructions on how to deal with the massive beast
Victorialhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Very interested.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We have folks in the area we'd love to visit. Keep up the communication. Summer is coming!
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Park web site

Check this place out will be there next week looking into layout several things cabanas ? fire pits ? seasonal sites ? airstream snack bar / wet bar / we are thinking big and for people to have as much fun as we do hosting rallies very pet friendly area ? looking for input please this is very close to happening we are looking to set up fixed vintage trailers for rent deco in 40's 50's 60's 70's with trailers of those years. also we may move our restore shop on the property kinda show off our work many possibility's, we also have a 16 acre possible property on hwy 281 for development for shop and RV sites in round mountain TX just 10 mile north of Johnson City no river though so much is open for possibility's check this park out it has been closed from Aug 2011 ready to open for us if we want it . Llano River RV Park

Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Worthy cause, but if you're going to do this, do it right. Provide people with space so they aren't camping on top of each other and, if the climate permits, shade in the form of trees. The lack of these pleasant amenities at so many RV parks is a major disappoint for people like me.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorialhq View Post
If I knew how to pull my AS and work the dang thing I would go but God took hubby without leaving me instructions on how to deal with the massive beast
Victoria,

Have you considered selling your big trailer and getting a smaller one that you could handle. Many at the rallies would be more than happy to help you set up. We have an Easter rally in April that my wife and I along with Sean and Rondi are hosting at the Roadrunner Rv park in Johnson City, TX.

They have a cabin available that is nice-I spent a weekend in it myself.

Come join us. Here on the forums it is listed as Hill Country Easter Rally.

Check it out-don't sit home.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Victoria,

Have you considered selling your big trailer and getting a smaller one that you could handle. Many at the rallies would be more than happy to help you set up. We have an Easter rally in April that my wife and I along with Sean and Rondi are hosting at the Roadrunner Rv park in Johnson City, TX.

I agree like i said in my PM we would be happy to have you come over and can help you set up or the cabin just give us a shout Sean & Rondi
Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
I agree, the better parks have full hookups plus cable and wifi which is nice, big pads (paved) with patio area for the canopy pullout with good visual screening between pads. Look in trailer life at the parks with the high ratings and determine what makes a great place from a mediocre one. Folks don't mind paying more to have a great site for setting up.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
I would to go to a Rally. As for selling her I could never do that. If I end up living in it I would want it's size. I just bought some Pergo to re-do the flooring so will find someone to put it in then I am thinking of getting a new A/C even though it does work just want it all new .... I can pull it but I doubt I could back it or park it...funny I used to drive a Semi and I did back it once
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
This location may be good from October through April but for the remainder of the season, with no shade trees, it would be too danged hot in the furnace that is The Lone Star State. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Psshhaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
This location may be good from October through April but for the remainder of the season, with no shade trees, it would be too danged hot in the furnace that is The Lone Star State. Good luck.
Do it Sean, Not too hot for us Texans! And I can say I am Texan since I have now lived here for 20 years. I checked with the State authorities and that is the official cut off point. But I can never say "Native"
And just for grins, I grew up in that humidity of Virginia. Shade does not help...
I can bring shade and my unit has an AC for the nighttime. And our kayaks do well in the hot...
Build it, we will come...

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
vintage travelers

1972 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by casa3805 View Post
Do it Sean, Not too hot for us Texans! And I can say I am Texan since I have now lived here for 20 years. I checked with the State authorities and that is the official cut off point. But I can never say "Native"
And just for grins, I grew up in that humidity of Virginia. Shade does not help...
I can bring shade and my unit has an AC for the nighttime. And our kayaks do well in the hot...
Build it, we will come...
Young lady if you want to come on down let us know Bruce or I can put that rig into a site for you they are all pull through we will even hook it up. I will even check all you systems for you I may have room at my shop by then If you want to have your floor put in I do that at my airstream remodel shop. I only have 8 trailers to get completed by then he he. but serious we would love to have you and we have a rally guarantee for this one if you don't have a good time we will do a skivvies jig and we don't want to see Bruce do a jig. as for the park we are looking into shelters for shade with elic hookups and water mister and fire pit or chimney, some new concrete runners for level pads vintage decors for the club house with show filling station and vintage vehicle parked. relocating the office, storage area for seasonal renters and seasonal sites for lease ( place to leave your trailer all set up)
just throwing this idea around with the owner at this point also looking into vintage trailer's set up for rent all decked out in the period appropriate them, we are close to working this out but the owner also likes the Idea of using an existing area for building a new park on the river a distance away and start fresh weighing the best way to make this happen.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2012 Interstate Coach
San Antonio , Texas
Sean, you're the MAN!!! Go for it, you know you'll have people standing in line to make reservations. Bruce and I would prefer something on the water and then that could be our permanent weekend retreat!!
rosewoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Victoria,

well I did think about it but it was the last thing we bought together and to be honest I want to fix some things and just live in it. I am thinking I may just go hook it up and see how much trouble I can get into...

When in April is the rally ?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
I would to go to a Rally. As for selling her I could never do that. If I end up living in it I would want it's size. I just bought some Pergo to re-do the flooring so will find someone to put it in then I am thinking of getting a new A/C even though it does work just want it all new .... I can pull it but I doubt I could back it or park it...funny I used to drive a Semi and I did back it once
Pardon my hijack please

Victoria - PLEASE don't beat yourself up
(It's one of the few things Other People are good for! )
Self Doubt is a good thing if it makes you take on new tasks cautiously and in manageable stages, but it's poison if it STOPS you cold before you even start.

A rally or even your own driveway would be a great place to start building your skills. I'm sure you'll have more than one person in your neck of the woods offer to give you a hitching/unhitching check list, show you the ins and outs of the whole process, and then observe you until you're comfortable doing it yourself. After that, it's just a matter of finding a vacant parking lot or abandoned airfield to practice stress free towing, braking, and mirror management. Once you start getting delusions of adequacy in those areas, you can try backing. I assure you as someone who has now backed several sizes of trailers... the big ones are LESS squirrelly than the little ones.

I still do have a bit of hesitation about knowing that I've pulled far enough forward to begin a back and turn, but just this weekend I scooted into a pie shaped space (narrow in front!) with a flipping telephone pole and garbage cans on the blind side and a car parked uncomfortably close on the driver's side. I just got out and checked to make sure I was doing it well once in the "wiggle it in between two obstructions" phase.

PS: If it is NOT raining a really EASY way to back in predictably is to keep an empty dishwashing detergent bottle, fill it, then squirt a line from your back left trailer tire to the place you want that tire to stop when you're successfully finished backing. It's much easier to recognize when your truck & Airstream are in the right place to start backing if you draw the line you want to follow. It also allows you to take picnic tables, etc. into consideration. (idiot children on bikes or skateboards - not so much - just ASK for someone to play traffic cop if there are a lot of those creatures running loose!)

If you irritate someone who is in a hurry getting in or out - that's their problem - but I regularly carry a small box of Pecan Sandies - one is tossed under the trailer as a sacrifical offering to keep the ants happily OUTSIDE of my trailer - others can be given to people tapping their thumbs on the wheel of a golf cart or tow vehicle while I'm backing. EVERYONE smiles when they get a Pecan Sandy!

Also - I haven't yet gone to a campground where there isn't someone who is really good at backing in who will volunteer to do it for me - and every now and then if I'm tired or just feeling inordinately inept... I LET THEM!

Men and towing. They either have some natural ability that's a bit more acute than women or they're just too goal driven to focus on "smaller" details in the process. (A friend of mine has a delicate cross stitched sign in her bath that totally explains the male attitude to the finer details. It says, "Stand a bit closer dear, it's not as long as you think.")

Now go outside, and get in the tow vehicle and back it up TO the Airstream several times. (step 1) and say "I think I can... I think I can"

......and we'll all see you down the road, Paula
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Easter rally

Quote:
well I did think about it but it was the last thing we bought together and to be honest I want to fix some things and just live in it. I am thinking I may just go hook it up and see how much trouble I can get into...

When in April is the rally ?
Victoria,

The rally is Easter weekend-April 6, 7, 8. If you are coming make your res soon as Sean is gonna cut it off at 30 trailers. If you don't bring the trailer-stop on by anyway for some groceries and meet new friends for the next one, although we'd really love to have you for this one!!
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
I have a Dr appt the first part of April so can't come to it but I am suppose to go to Roundrock sometime just for the day so may just pop in to meet everyone.going to try that anyway