Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2004, 08:24 AM   #1

Smile Costa Rica Bound

Just bought a 1972 25'AS and a '92 Dodge ram 250 turbo-diesel pick up for our trip to Costa Rica. Will be leaving around July 4th from the San Diego area crossing into Mexico at Laredo, heading south along the mainland coast. Have 2004 North American Campground book with many locations shown in Mexico, but that's as far south as they show. Anybody made the trip before? Anyone want to join us?
willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
WOW! Sounds like an old Wally trip! That takes courage. Good luck!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
WOW. would love to join you! maybe next year. I don't think I'd feel comfortable going down to Costa Rica unless I was in a Wally type caravan- safety in numbers? Remember what other streams have said about not carrying weapons into Mexico, and about one member's brother's sad death- to be taken very seriously I think . Check with the WBCCI for safe places to camp. Or other members living there. Good luck, have fun and take lots of pictures to show us fraidy cats when you come back!! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt
Just bought a 1972 25'AS and a '92 Dodge ram 250 turbo-diesel pick up for our trip to Costa Rica. Will be leaving around July 4th from the San Diego area crossing into Mexico at Laredo, heading south along the mainland coast. Have 2004 North American Campground book with many locations shown in Mexico, but that's as far south as they show. Anybody made the trip before? Anyone want to join us?
Does anyone know how willyt's trip to Costa Rica went? I just returned from 2 weeks there volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. What a beautiful country, I can't wait to go back! I hope that the reason that there are no more messages from willyt is that he got there safely and decided to stay, and not that he had a problem along the way.

Has anyone else out there driven to Costa Rica?

Grant
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I hope he is ok also. Does anyone think of a caravan down to Mexico? There is supposed to be a really super campground south of Cancun on the coast. All amenities, and on the beach. It's just the idea of travelling down there that is kind of scary. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
To others thinking about making a mainland Mexico road trip or to points further south I recommend a stopover at Kino Bay Rv Park located across the street from the beach. Kino Bay is somewhat unspoiled by development and has good fishing. It can be reached in about a day's drive south from the border--Nogales to Hermosillo (165 miles) then west to Kino Bay (60 miles) on the Sea of Cortez. Kino Bay has local food shops and restaurants, no ATM, and is 60 miles from the Walmart in Hermosillo.

I had planned on staying one night but ended up staying my full 2 weeks there.
http://www.kinobayrv.com/

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

bahia de kino

hello mark and anyone else who has been to kino bay. as it turns out, i'm going there for a few days the beginning of march. anyone else been there? i did check out the web site and it looks nice. i wonder if i need reservations. are those pull-through or back-in spots?

here's how it has come about that i'm going to kino bay: yesterday i met some people who live in the back of this park, in the [un]mobile homes. there must've been something in that beer i drank (milwaukie's best), or all the cigarette smoke i inhaled, and the next thing i knew, i had agreed to take this very nice woman to kino bay - along with her husband's ashes. so we'll hitch up the trailer, grab some hot dogs and potato salad, and adios arizona for a few days. ain't life grand when you have an airstream????
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Kino Bay

Hello Annette:
Kino Bay RV park has pull through RV sites and some with covered patios you pull up to. It is easy to reach them by telephone or email for Reservations (see website) or just go without a reservation. The office is very friendly. They have an internet access available on their office computer so y ou can pick up your email. They also sell propane and have a fish cleaning facility to self clean your fish if you are so inclined. Food shops are located within walking distance and the beach is across the street.

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:47 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markparker22
Hello Annette:
Kino Bay RV park has pull through RV sites and some with covered patios you pull up to. It is easy to reach them by telephone or email for Reservations (see website) or just go without a reservation. The office is very friendly. They have an internet access available on their office computer so y ou can pick up your email. They also sell propane and have a fish cleaning facility to self clean your fish if you are so inclined. Food shops are located within walking distance and the beach is across the street.
Thanks, Mark. I haven't taken a vehicle into Mexico - ever - so this looks like a good way to start. I'll send them an email.
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
dont forget your mexican insurance!
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
1987 29' Airstream 290
Renfrew , ontario
Did you ever do the trip to Costa Rica? I am planning to go at the end of 2010, could use some advice.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
We took our Bambi down to Kino Bay about this time last year, stayed at the funky la Islandia Trailer Park. There was a new ATM in town! We brought along a small Zodiac inflatable with a 2 hp Honda outboard and took a trip out and around the island, saw two whale carcases on the far side, an interesting little trip.

Two years ago we went down to San Blas, Nayarit, for Christmas and New Years, a place I've returned to many times since the '70's

About 25 years ago we drove an old diesel Peugeot down the west coast of Mexico to Guatemala, back in the days before the toll roads, and when diesel fuel was US $.17 a gallon. The good ol' days. We've known a few people who have been killed or seriously injured on Mexican Highways.

Crossing the US boarder is really a pain these days, particularly around the holidays. Returning from San Blas we were in line at Nogales before dawn, and didn't get to Tucson until after dark!
snake is offline   Reply With Quote