Old 04-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon View Post
We're thinking that this is a good year to visit Alaska (fuel prices still low, we're still spry enough to do it ) and are considering a six week round trip originating in New England. For those of you who have already done the Alaska thing from wherever, anywhere in the US, approximately how much was the overall cost of your trip? I know, I know. Lots of variables here. We just want a bunch of ballpark estimates to make sure what we have budgeted seems reasonable. Thanks.
Someday we hope to make this trip! Would allocate $20,000 US for the adventure plus really good medical , trailer, towing etc. insurance.

Six weeks is an unreasonable time estimate IMO, and causes me concern about your ability to plan a trip like this, however. YMMV

You asked . . .

Old 04-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I am going to start a "go fund me" page and beg for money for my leisure time dream. Seems a popular thing to do these days for the entitlement generation. No reason it should not work for a fledgling old fart like me. 🤑

Old 04-05-2016, 08:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I am going to start a "go fund me" page and beg for money for my leisure time dream. Seems a popular thing to do these days for the entitlement generation. No reason it should not work for a fledgling old fart like me. 🤑
That's funny. I'm amazed as I watch this trend happen.....

WBCCI #2525 (Region-10 Unit #120)
Air #85270
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Good idea. I'll kick in a buck or two!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Yikes! Didn't realize how expensive Alaska might be. Makes a cruise adventure sound more affordable for those with limited time, at least to personally decide if an extended roadtrip is worth the expense.

Time to rethink our bucket list plans. However, Alaska itself is still a must see!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #20
WyoGal

2015 25' FB International
Laramie , Wyoming
ATM's - what a thought!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We did the Alaska trip 5 years ago....from southern Alabama. 90 days, 14,000 miles, total cost somewhere about 10,000. We bought the things we wanted, (none of the China stuff), went where we wanted ate what we wanted...fuel costs were higher then than they are currently. We had no major problems, only one flat tire, (picked up a piece of wire in Anchorage).
The only regret is that we didn't stay at least a month longer....

Go for it!

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
I've never been to Alaska but my Grandmother used to motorhome up there all the time. She loved it. Factor in the cost of a windshield replacement per her experience. Have a great time for all of us other jealous people stuck at home working ...
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Glendora , California
Try RV Trip Wizard

We use an app (www.rvtripwizard.com) that helps calculate costs (fuel, campsites, food, misc.). It's invaluable! ($40/year)
Old 04-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #24

Everything's relative. In 2009 my wife & I did it in just 21 days from Louisville, KY towing a teardrop camper behind our 4Runner. We hit the road hard until we reached the Alaska highway and then slowed down and enjoyed the ride.

The road was the destination, and that's how we treated it. We stopped for every Tim Hortons we saw, went on several hikes to waterfalls and other natural features, soaked in hot springs, and pulled off the road for sandwiches near spectacular rivers.

We actually spent a week in Alaska itself: fished for halibut out of Valdez and red salmon on the Russian River, hiked on a glacier near Thompson Pass, took the 6-hour boat tour of Kenai Fjords N.P. out of Seward, and bounced down a couple of 4x4 roads near Denali.

We only had a 3-week vacation, but I wanted to drive it. We stayed in the teardrop every night -- mostly in paid campgrounds with showers. We had an absolute blast, and it cost less than $4000 for the whole trip. We've been on a cruise there since then, but the road trip was more fun and the cost was similar. So, if I had 6-weeks to do it again for $10k - $12k towing an Airstream I would take that chance in a heartbeat.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
1972 27' Overlander
Wakefield , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by recreation View Post
We only had a 3-week vacation, but I wanted to drive it. We stayed in the teardrop every night -- mostly in paid campgrounds with showers. We had an absolute blast, and it cost less than $4000 for the whole trip. We've been on a cruise there since then, but the road trip was more fun and the cost was similar. So, if I had 6-weeks to do it again for $10k - $12k towing an Airstream I would take that chance in a heartbeat.
That's the spirit!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #26
mgg

1967 17' Caravel
soldotna , Alaska
Alaska

Hit Costco on diamond Blvd anchorage, hit Seward on the 4th of July and hit the kenai river (Soldotna) the last 2 weeks of July for fish. Hit Homer around those dates and maybe a night at the Russian river campground between Seward and Soldotna. Ak boy.. Have fun
Old 04-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
Randolph , Vermont
We went to Alaska in our AS. Do lots of homework, get this years Milepost (the Alaska Travel Bible) at a bookstore or on-line, get truck and RV in good shape and have a blast.

We took credit cards, gas cards and were in and out for two and one half months. It is a long drive from NE but most of the fun is in the journey.

Six or Seven thousand dollars should be ok. The AS caravan is a good value but you do what is on their list. It is a good list and some people do that first and then go back on their own time.

We traveled on our own, met up with friends in WhiteHorse then parted again in Anchorage to rendevouz again in Tok.

If this is a first time long trip DO YOUR HOMEWORK. You will hear all kinds of stories, like chiidbirth stories for a new mother but find your own path.

It is supposed to be an adventure, you can not prepare for it all but you can enjoy every bit of the process.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
I second Bill's comment re the cash. A couple of hundred in your pocket is plenty (especially when you lose your wallet along the pipeline as I did last fall). There is no need to carry large amounts...everyone takes VISA or AMEX....except for some nice provincial parks in Canada which welcome checks. The scenery is still the same as in the past (mostly), but commerce has kept up with the changes in the lower 48. Safe travels. jon