Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Cool rv parks near Austin?

Well this cool forum hasn't let me down yet so here I am with yet another question. I've always wanted to visit Austin, Texas to check out the cool music scene and other attractions. Can anyone recommend a cool laid back rv park within a short driving/walking distance to Austin? Perhaps even a nearby small town. I like parks that are quiet and isolated if possible.....esoteric and different is definitely a plus. Thanks for any tips!

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Hi there, Smoky.

There was a similar discussion about a year ago, you can find it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...rks-47216.html

Pecan Grove RV Park is pretty much the coolest place that is IN town, and it is RIGHT down-town, just south of the river, extremely close to 6th Street and all of those places. But, it's small, and sometimes has a long waiting list, especially at peak times.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy your visit to Austin!

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
hubcaps?

ah yes, Pecan Grove, I"ve only passed by but it looked like a pretty special place.. I will call there today..

enjoyed your blog, Marcus, you guys are some SERIOUS tailgators! (is that band still around, I was a big fan..)

looks like you changed wheels on your trailer (nice) if you happen to still have the old hubcaps I'd like to discuss availability on a couple...I'm having the darnest time finding ones that'll fit my 8"-clip '69 wheels..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Pecan Grove is the best place in town; however, it isn't quiet or isolated. It's located on a major street and is surrounded by bars and restaurants that have outdoor seating and music. Still, it's a great place to stay. If you want quiet and isolated, you might try McKinney Falls State Park. It's in Austin and meets both of your other requirements but isn't within walking distance of anything. I believe that the hookups there are limited to water and electricity, with dump station availability. A bit farther out (25 miles or so and you sometimes have to contend with traffic congestion) is Bastrop State Park. Bastrop has full hookups and is a beautiful place to stay, but is probably too far to accomodate your goal of wanting to spend time in Austin.
tphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
austin, tx area

bastrop, is 15 minutes from austin's airport...one can be downtown in 30 minutes with miminal traffic....state park and lcra lake bastrop parks with other private camps make bastrop the un found jewel for rvers looking at austin.....city park (emma Long or some such nonsense today) is a neat place but a llitle more congested... there are many travis county parks available.......the whole flavor of austin is in the mix anywhere one stays...pecan grove would be the most convienient to downtown...walking distance for one who walks....
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Hacienda RV Resort/Park is located near Mansfield Dam off 620 (NW Austin) about 15 miles to Downtown. You can take 620 from the Hacienda straight to the Toll Road (I think it'd 45 but you can't miss whatever number it is.) and it will take you to I-35 near Pflugerville.

The Hacienda is a nice big site, well managed and controlled with all the amenities and I'd guess about half full, as I just came from there. It's very nice and has easy access to the main roads/stores/malls/groceries etc.
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Emma Long Metropolitan Park is a little known city park in West Austin right along Lake Austin. It is a great park which can be accessed from Ranch Road 2222 and is about 20 minutes from downtown Austin. It only has water, electric and a dump station though. There are a few sites along the water and this park is normally not busy during the week. It is first come first serve, so we have always arrived early or middle week and have had no problems getting a great camp site.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Austin Camping

Second on McKinney Falls S.P. It's close to the town and as the state parks are cheap with lots of space in the camp site.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Reservations

We'll be in the area in early to mid March. Is that a busy time at Austin campgrounds? Can we get by without reservations?
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Reservations

Wouldn't think it would be a problem during March. You should find a nice site there without reservations. There are some pretty nice Texas State Parks all around the area as well as Private RV parks in the Texas Hill Country.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking for a spot to spend a few months. I don't mind driving into Austin to see the sights. Sunset rv park looks interesting. Has anyone ever stayed there?

http://sunsetrvresort.com/

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Reservations
"We'll be in the area in early to mid March. Is that a busy time at Austin campgrounds? Can we get by without reservations"

I think SXSW runs from 3/12 to 3/21. I don't know whether it will affect availability at the RV parks--the hotels will be booked--but if you think you're going to be in Austin during that time, reservations couldn't hurt.
tphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
SXSW definitely affects availability in the RV parks, so beware of that. Don't know anything about Sunset.

Didn't realize you were looking to stay a few months, most of the city and state parks limit stays to shorter times than that so a commercial RV park is most likely your best bet.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote