Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
cool remote rv parks?

I'm heading south from Portland, Oregon in a few weeks and I was wondering if someone might have a suggestion for a good place to stay for a few weeks or a month in Nevada or Arizona. I will be traveling through Nevada and Arizona on my way to check out the New Mexico state parks. I'd like to find a laid back rv park that isn't too crowded. The more isolated the better. I guess my only requirement is electricity and water. I'd like to avoid crowded parking lot style rv parks. I'm hoping there might be some cool isolated places in the Southwest. I've never been to this part of the country so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
So you want to stay in a state park or in a private? And you're looking to be in warmer country, right?

Lynn
Old 01-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
consider the Weed Heights RV Park near Yerington. Central Nevada. Has a number of long term residents. Lots of places nearby to visit. See US 95 – Tohopah to McDermit for some other ideas (Walker River Resort is another possibility).
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Smoky, do you have an idea of what routes you are taking? Nevada is a big place and mostly remote, Arizona less so, but plenty big. The center of Nevada is really empty and campgrounds and gas are rarities. If you want avoid winter, much of Nevada can be wintry. You could stay with the aliens in Rachel on the Extraterrestrial Highway.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Dolores , Colorado
Smoky;

If you have an idea of your route, you might check out Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood, AZ. There are areas there that have water and electricity. There are no full hookups but they do have dump stations at the entrance as you come in. Pretty easy to get into them also. This site is about 60 miles South of Flagstaff on I-17 and then into Cottonwood.
Best way to do is go google Arizona State Parks and you will get a good idea of what is available. Four Corners Unit will be holding a rally at Dead Horse February 13-16 so if you are in the area feel free to stop in and enjoy the group activities. There are postings on the forum for this rally.
Good Luck

Bob
Member Four Corners Unit/CAC
WBCCI # 10105
AIR # 28748
dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
South of Hawthorne Nev. are a couple of out of the way parks and they run about $6.00 a night. They have the three hookups and are on the two lane highway. Other than watching a car go by there's not a lot to do.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Smoky, do you have an idea of what routes you are taking? Nevada is a big place and mostly remote, Arizona less so, but plenty big. The center of Nevada is really empty and campgrounds and gas are rarities. If you want avoid winter, much of Nevada can be wintry. You could stay with the aliens in Rachel on the Extraterrestrial Highway.

Gene
Hello Gene,

I haven't put much thought into a specific route but I decided to head to Rodeo, New Mexico near Arizona's southeast corner. That area seems remote and I found a few cool rv parks there. Oddly enough when I punch that destination in my gps it only gives me two routes from Portland, Oregon. One goes directly south through California before veering East around Los Angeles and the other takes me through Boise, Idaho and south through Utah. It completely goes around Nevada?! So I believe you when you tell me that central Nevada is mostly empty. The California route seems tempting but I sure would hate to deal with big city traffic.

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Hello Gene,

I haven't put much thought into a specific route but I decided to head to Rodeo, New Mexico near Arizona's southeast corner. That area seems remote and I found a few cool rv parks there. Oddly enough when I punch that destination in my gps it only gives me two routes from Portland, Oregon. One goes directly south through California before veering East around Los Angeles and the other takes me through Boise, Idaho and south through Utah. It completely goes around Nevada?! So I believe you when you tell me that central Nevada is mostly empty. The California route seems tempting but I sure would hate to deal with big city traffic.
Smoky,

The GPS routes usually default to interstate routes. As you know it is much more interesting to get off the interstate.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
From Portland, head over to 395 via the Oregon Scenic Outback. The Chewaucan Canyon Marster Campground makes for a good overnight. Then take 229 over to Cedarville and Surprise Valley. From there try NV 447 between Gerlach NV and Cedarville, CA Then you can catch 95 south towards Vegas to get to Az. Look for the New Mexico radio observatory along the way.

In southern Nevada, you can get electricity and water at Valley of Fire State Park.

If you need hookups en route, then Klamath Falls and perhaps Fernley would be the choices for a leisurly first two days.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky View Post
Hello Gene,

I haven't put much thought into a specific route but I decided to head to Rodeo, New Mexico near Arizona's southeast corner. That area seems remote and I found a few cool rv parks there. ...<snip>...
If you want remote and beautiful, the extreme SE part of AZ along the NM border is the ticket...near Portal, AZ on the east side of the Chiricahua Mountains...an AS friend of ours loves the area and has heartily recommended "Rusty's RV Ranch" Rusty's RV Ranch Near Portal Arizona and Rodeo New Mexico Our friend is also a birder and enjoys that aspect of the area as well... Can't help much with the trip from the Pacific NW to Arizona, but once you hit AZ there is a lot to do between the northern part with the Grand Canyon and the SE part with a number of great state parks...You can go right down the middle of AZ and hit a lot of the best places along the way..... Enjoy yourself!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Smoky, are you trying to stay away from wintry weather? You can't entirely avoid it, but the higher and further inland you go, the more you'll find. You may be wanting to avoid floods too. You can find websites that will tell you average temps in various areas—AAA Tour Books give that information. Your tolerance for winter will determine some of your route.

Get a map of the west and decide where you want to go. We avoid big cities most of the time. You can, for example, avoid SoCal by traveling from Reno/Fernley area south pretty much paralleling the western Nevada border to Las Vegas. This is a good time of year to visit Death Valley, though hookups are rare there.

When you find yourself in SW NM, explore around Silver City and the mountains north of there—it's America's first designated wilderness and there's some pretty funky old towns north and northwest of Silver City.

Hide the GPS, get maps and make your own trip. The worst thing is you'll get lost and discover something wonderful (or find yourself on a one lane road that is turning to mud and then dead ends with a 1,000 foot drop on one side—life is full of surprises—and it'll make a great story a year later).

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
If you want the road less traveled. Put the GPS aside and get out the maps.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote