Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
Connecticut to Assateague rt. Suggestions

We live near Hartford ct. And have been camping for 3 years but only in New England . So far it's been easy just punch in an address on the navigation and go. But now going to Assateague I'm heading for the unknown. I need to get there fast so the 5 year old troll in the backseat doesn't explode with anger or worse poo and pee. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great route? I'm also not sure what tunnels or bridges where propane is not allowed
Flying tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #2
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
I'd go over the Tappenzee and then take 287 all the way to the NJ Turnpike. Grab that and follow the GPS.

I live near the intersection of 78 and 287 and just made that trip with my 6 year old a few weeks ago. Was pretty easy. The only bad part were the bugs at Assateague!
Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I'd go over the Tappenzee and then take 287 all the way to the NJ Turnpike. Grab that and follow the GPS.

The turnpike will take you to the Delaware Memorial Bridge. If you have easy pass I would recommend that you stay in the right hand lanes and go through the epass toll on that side because you will exit shortly once over the bridge. The sign will read Dover and Wilmington. Take that exit and go 13 South. You will the New Castle airport on your right and car dealerships etc on your left and you will see signs that say Dover and the beaches. I believe it is the left two lanes. It will take you onto the toll road, which will end just outside of Dover Airbase. Stay on 13 until it splits into 13 and 113. You can then take 113 all the way to Berlin MD. After you cross under RT 50 you will see the Atlantic General Hospital on your left and a gas station and food lion on your right, continue on 113 until you see the sign for Assateque. It is a left handturn stay on that road until you reach 611, go left on 611 and follow it until you reach Assateque.

Have a safe trip and enjoy the beach
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Speaking of tolls, I think I paid $38; $18 on the NJTP and $20 at the DE bridge. Gotta love the east... :-(
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
Thank you both for your suggestions. I also appreciate the heads up on the winged blood suckers. If anyone has any other suggestions or experiences good or bad we sure would love for you to share with us.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Selinsgrove , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying tulip View Post
Thank you both for your suggestions. I also appreciate the heads up on the winged blood suckers. If anyone has any other suggestions or experiences good or bad we sure would love for you to share with us.
Our experience found fewer bugs on the sea side due to the wind. Although, we go in late March when there are fewer people and bugs.
TinkersToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
NEVER use E Pass to cross the Delaware River. You will pay commercial rates while towing and they are HIGH. Pay with cash.

Yes use the NJ Turn Pike down to exit 7a and take 195 west a few miles to 295 south. 295 is free and goes to the same bridge.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I would recommend that you take your awning down at night and if you are going to be off the island especially in late afternoon and evening because of thunderstorms. I have seen more then one awning destroyed and many tents blown over.

Enjoy the ponies and expect them to come visit, even right up to your from door. Although they are not as bad as bears I would not leave any food laying around outside as they might eat it.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Woodbury , New Jersey
Because of the ongoing construction, I would check with DOT before trying to take the Tappanzee.

The advice to switch from the NJ Tpk to I-195/295 at Exit 7a is sound. If you do that, you'll avoid all bridge/tunnel restrictions from NJ straight through to MD.

From the Delaware Memorial Bridge (I-295), I'd recommend a merge onto I-95 south, then getting over to the far right lane ASAP. Take the exit for DE-1 southbound. I strongly recommend against taking DE-13 through Newcastle; aside from the local traffic there's a rather hairy bridge over the canal. DE-1 is a toll road, but IMHO it's worth it.

At Dover, follow signs to DE-1; do not take DE-13. DE-1 will become DE-113 somewhere around Milford, and you can stay on it all the way down to MD. Around Berlin, MD, make a left onto MD-376, then a right onto MD-611, which will take you to Assateague.

BE SURE to observe all speed limits, especially in Delaware!

BTW, an alternative is to take the Garden State down to Cape May and take the ferry to Lewes, DE. (From Lewes, you can take DE-9 west to pick up DE-113 south.) The ferry is a bit pricey, but probably not too bad when you consider the tolls and gas you'll save. Also, your troll will get a change of scene, have lunch or snacks, check out the tchachkes and enjoy a boat ride.

As for Assateague, I hope you're heading for the National, not the State, park. The camping is more primitive (as in no hookups), but the trails are a treat and the rangers offer educational sessions geared to children.

BUT, do understand that the ponies are not pets. They are feral horses that are allowed to roam the park freely. They do not fear humans, but they should NEVER be closely approached, and turning your back on them to take a selfie is not at all recommended. They may charge, they bite and they kick, and the bite of a horse can be very serious. They are also great scavengers. Over the years, we've seen a number of campsites trashed by ponies after the campers failed to properly secure their foodstuffs.

Take strong DEET insect repellent plus SPF100 sun screen and have a wonderful time!
windfallsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #10

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
Thank you all for your input so far. small details can make or break your trip. Last year we went to Lake Placid, and every store business or turrist attraction had signs that the black flies had hatched,and were selling all kinds of black fly spray cream and what have you,except for our campground . Within the first 2hrs blood was running down my wife and daughters arms necks and faces. They did spare me, as my Scandinavian blood must not taste as good as your American does. We had to cut our trip short by a few days, as my wife's glands and face started to swell. This trip we now know not to pet the ponys
Old 07-26-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I'm also not sure what tunnels or bridges where propane is not allowed

There are no restrictions for propane on the Tappenzee, Delaware Memorial or the bridge on the DE 1 toll road.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:18 AM   #12

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
Happy to know that we won't have any problems with propane. Apparently as a kid, my wife had the embarrassing episode of her stepdad having to reverse, for what must have felt like hrs, out of a tunnel with propane restrictions in a motor home.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Agree with previous posts.

I was just on the Tappanzee, two weeks ago. NO TOLLS due to construction. BUT…THEY PROBABLY ARE BACK TO CHARGING BY NOW. The construction is mostly on the new bridge, and wonder why the traffic would be worse than normal. Might be the approach construction

287 is mostly a nice road, even though it adds some miles.

I used to HATE I 95. Still dislike it in some areas. But when I started towing, I found that it was fairly flat and fairly straight.

I always jump over to 295 to save some tolls.

My friends went to Assateague They said the mosquitos must be some mutant alien vampire bird whose main goal was to rid the world of all mammals.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just curious as to where you are staying and when you are going. On the State or the National Park side and if on the National Park are you staying on the bay side or the ocean side. I have stayed at all three locations and all times of the year. My point is the conditions change depending on the season and the direction of the wind.

If the bugs are to much I not only recommend deet or soe other bug spray but also long pants and long sleeve shirts that are light. they will definitely hep in keeping the bugs off of you.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
We are staying at the national park bayside next week
Old 07-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #16

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
This is also our first trip without electric and water hookups.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If you need anything let me know as I only live 15 miles from there. cell is 301 752 2652 Just leave a message and I will get back to you
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #18

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Farmington , Connecticut
That's great urnmor, hopefully not needed.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:12 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
The tunnels under Baltimore Harbor allow no propane. We did the US 13 Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel last year. They only require propane tanks to be turned off. No problem going to DE 1 and up into PA to Hershey.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote