Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Suffolk , Virginia
Concierge service

Anyone use a concierge service in helping to plan out trips?

We are planning a 3 week trip from Oregon to parks in Utah and want some logistical help in routing and places to stay.

A company called RV Adventure-USA apparently does this type of thing - we like the fact that they are a family business.

If anyone has experience with them (or anyone else you recommend), we would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post

We are planning a 3 week trip from Oregon to parks in Utah and want some logistical help in routing and places to stay.

A company called RV Adventure-USA apparently does this type of thing - we like the fact that they are a family business.

If anyone has experience with them (or anyone else you recommend), we would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

No, sorry. We have a National Geographic Road Atlas that highlights national parks and other land marks. We use our GPS on our phone for best route and between the atlas and a good google search we have found mostly everything we want to see. We always leave a little wiggle room in our agenda for the side adventures... you’ll see a sign and want to stop. Go ahead and stop.

It’s about the journey not the destination.

We lived in Portland for many years and just drove through the south point of Idaho to get to Utah from north through the salt lake area. Not much to see but what we did stop and see was pretty cool.

Let me know if you have questions and I’ll do my best to help!

BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Concierge service

We use our AAA membership, selected iPhone applications like Allstays, and the like. I prefer to do my own planning and deviate as needed.

Bottom line is I’m too cheap to pay someone to do what I can easily do myself. Trip planning, given access to the internet, does not take that long.

My basic principle is to plan turn around and head home at whatever the “halfway point” is on the travel budget and the travel scheduled period. And we keep that as flexible as possible...random travel is always more interesting.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Interesting.

https://www.rvadventure-usa.com/

Regardless of who plans the trip, however, it is important to leave room for things which you come upon randomly IMO.

As John Steinbeck said in Travels With Charley — In Search of America:

“A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find that after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us.”

A trip takes us” . . . nice!

A good road atlas like this one is the most important planning tool IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/2019-McNally-.../dp/0528019635

Let your fingers and mind do the walking . . . to the random and obscure roads not taken.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post

Thanks!
You might try using RV Trip Wizard which is a trip planning tool (web based). It's a sister site to AIR and can help with routing, a vast database of parks and reviews.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Some good replies here.

We use Roadtrippers to plan and map our stays. They offer a subscription with additional features, though we've always used the free version.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
An interesting idea that would not work for me as planning is part of the adventure for me. However I can see how it would be nice for someone...and that could be you.
My suggestion is that if they truly area a family and service oriented company is to call and talk with them a bit. See if there is a good fit for what you want. You don't have to end up wanting them to come to Thanksgiving dinner, but maybe you do want to feel you would like to cook a burger with them.....because they know and understand your needs and are of a like enough mind to work well with you.

bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote

« Tow vehicle | Top | GPS App »