Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
This one includes how to shoot at moving targets and how to shoot while moving.
Now you've got to where the fun begins!

Tomorrow I'll be doing that and shooting from a moving vehicle. No not another heist just a competition.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I have a CWP from Montana. It's valid in about a third of the states.
After taking the required class I felt comfortable carrying a pistol. After taking an advanced class I realized how un-prepared I really was. I am re-taking the advanced class so I can move onto the highest level class that our instructor will teach to a civilian. This one includes how to shoot at moving targets and how to shoot while moving.
That is good. It is always reccomended that you take more classes. No one really knows how they will act in a bad situation... one thing is for sure. When you pull the trigger, God forbid, you cant take it back, and you are responsible for every round fired.

I have taken many courses, hand to hand combat, close range gun fighting, which includes knifes. I was able to train at the state post. Good times. One thing to remember never stay on the mark. zig zag

also not having a CCW but having a gun in your car or camper, in many states is a felony.

I also reccomend finding and taking time to introduce your self to a pro fire arm Attorney. You would hate to meet one in a police station for the first time. I have been to the range both indoor and outdoor with one. iTs better to have a guy that knows you.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Much has changed over the last few years on the CCW issue and even owning a firearm and it is a shame, but with our current leadership who wants to take away all guns so no one can stand against him in addition to doing away with the Constitution all together I feel that this is going to be a hot issue for a long time.
I do want to tell ya that Baileyton Tennessee Exit 36 I-81 just passed a law that it is illegal to pocess a firearm in any city park or any campground. Baileyton is in Greene County which has different rules.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
tabasco sauce

You guys can keep your pepper spray.

If I'm going to be walking where bears are, I want something that will stop one. Something like my 1895 Marlin lever action .45-70. It's got a 26" long octagonal barrel, so it's not a concealed piece by any means.

There really is no handgun that will stop a griz. Maybe a 500 S&W, but it's as big as a rifle.

But no matter, if you're going places like that, you need a rifle. Canada requires you to take a rifle in your small plane when you fly over certain areas. Even though they've outlawed handguns. If you go down and survive the crash, you are required to have the rifle to fend off the critters that view you as a snack.

Tim Treadwell thought bears were nature's happy critters. So did his girlfriend. Both were naive nature lovers. Both got eaten.
Eaten!
Not a pleasant way to go.

I love nature. But you have to be realistic. When you go places where animals live that can and will eat you, you'd better be prepared. If you are hunting deer in bear country, you better have enough gun to stop a bear.

But I think the real crux of this thread was probably covered in that older thread about "...packing mister...." People more worried about other people.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Any Gunsite alumni out there??
Old 07-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I am a memebr of many gunsites, and organizations. NRA,USCCA... ect

as far as political issue's... here in Ohio a democrat gov (Strickland) fixed the CCW laws and gave us one heck of a hr184 which the previouse gov (R) couldnt or wouldnt. Politics is out

And on the note of rest area's... I am not sure on all states but in Ohio we have a group called Buckeye Firearms assoc.. They rae a grass roots org that got that changed here, as alot of criminal activity happens while stopped, not at 65 mph.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
...why do I have to live in and next to the ONLY 2 states that don't allow CC at all? I'm looking into the FL CCW...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
You guys can keep your pepper spray.

But I think the real crux of this thread was probably covered in that older thread about "...packing mister...." People more worried about other people.
This is only part true... people get lax, or lulled into a false sense of security. I am not a vigilanty, I hardly carry, There are many things that can be done to avoid an issue if you are carrying, and in a bad situation. A gun or anything is a last resort. There are many many alternatives to force... But lets face it, if you ever got approached in a bathroom at a truckstop, or any close place, Bank, Diner, ect. Do you want to be a sitting duck?? If you are walking back out to your car fromusing the restroom at a rest area, and some thug thinks your wife, daughter, grandaughter is what he is looking for. Your 60 he is 20. Odds are in his favor. Not with me, odds are always in my favor. Not to pull the trigger! but to stop the issue, until the Law arrives.

I would not advise, if walking out of a restroom and you wittnessed this, getting involved, you dont know if it is a n unruley kid, or what.

There are alot of opinions, most I dont agree with, that is what makes the world go round I guess
Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I am a memebr of many gunsites, and organizations. NRA,USCCA... ect

as far as political issue's... here in Ohio a democrat gov (Strickland) fixed the CCW laws and gave us one heck of a hr184 which the previouse gov (R) couldnt or wouldnt. Politics is out

And on the note of rest area's... I am not sure on all states but in Ohio we have a group called Buckeye Firearms assoc.. They rae a grass roots org that got that changed here, as alot of criminal activity happens while stopped, not at 65 mph.
Gunsite is a training facility in Paulden, Arizona, founded by Jeff Cooper in the late 1970's. Doug is a 2-training, 2-alumni-shootoffs veteran. Excellent facility and some outstanding trainers.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

As a former LEO I for one don't think calling 911 is the answer to someones immediate needs when violent crime against them is taking place. Yes they need to be call but that does not stop the violence at hand. With the economy worsting more and more are turning to crimes against persons. Not trying to scare anyone but you may want to rethink you needs for personal safety.

I like to go by some simple rules:

Rules for a gunfight
1. Forget about pepper spray, knives, bats, and fists. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring four times the ammunition you think you could ever need.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammunition is cheap - life is expensive. If you shoot inside, buckshot is your friend. A new wall is cheap - funerals are expensive

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker and go to cover. Distance is your friend. (Bulletproof cover and diagonal or lateral movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a semi or full-automatic long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running. Yell "Fire!" Why "Fire"? Cops will come with the Fire Department, sirens often scare off the bad guys, or at least cause them to lose concentration and will.... and who is going to summon help if you yell "Intruder," "Glock" or "Winchester?"

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Stretch the rules. Always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work. "No plan ever survives 10 seconds past first contact."

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible, but remember, sheetrock walls and the like stop nothing but your pulse when bullets tear through them.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees. Practice reloading one-handed and off-hand shooting. That's how you live if hit in your "good" side.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. Smiles, frowns and other facial expressions don't (In God we trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide NOW to always be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet if necessary, because they may want to kill you.

22. Be courteous to everyone, overly friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket." At a practice session, throw you gun into the mud, then make sure it still works. You can clean it later.

26. Practice shooting in the dark, with someone shouting at you, when out of breath, etc.

27. Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature.

28. The only thing you EVER say afterwards is, "He said he was going to kill me. I believed him. I'm sorry, Officer, but I'm very upset now. I can't say anything more. Please speak with my attorney."

Finally,

1. Never be unarmed."

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Spoken like a true Texan "Chief"!
Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
chief- enjoyed that, thanks.

We sold our handguns when we started having children... can I get a CCW for a mossberg cruiser?
Old 07-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
From a previous post on the earlier thread:

"Can you look another human being in the eyes and still pull the trigger knowing full well that you will undoubtedly kill them and then have to watch them die? "

It is not easy regardless of what you might tell yourself. If does not get any easier the second time either. The average socialized citizen is not wired together to perform this type of act. I've seen both military people and uniformed police officers shoot high or wide to avoid shooting another human being. Cowards? Hell, no--they would rather be shot themselves than shoot another human being. This is the reason that the down range person at a firing squad ceremony is blindfolded. It is not to help the shootee out, it is so the shooters do not have to look someone else in the eye and start one down the barrel.

I have the advantage of HR 218 and carry a copy of the statute with me at all times as well. Some folks have never even heard of HR 218 so the literature can come in handy.

A sub-topic that has not come up as yet. Check with your insurance agent regarding carrying a weapon. Keep in mind that your are doing something intentionally when you light up some socio-economically deprived youth that came from a broken home that did not have enough toys when he was little. Never mind that you are defending yourself from an assault, if he does not get dead, he will sue you. If he does get dead, his momma and/or baby mama will sue you. If your agent says you are covered by your liability umbrella policy, get him/her to put it in writing. He/she won't do it. There are a variety of legal things that protect you criminally but none that will protect you civilly. Jump in here, Gene.

My weapon of choice? Glock G21 w/ a LaserMax sight. Why a .45? Because they don't make a .46.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Folks, we have had gun discussions here before that needed to be closed because of the drama that such a controversial topic stirs up. This thread is about concealed carry permits and travelling from state to state in your RV. I'd like to see the thread stay on that topic, else the moderators may need to step in. Please help us out and stick to the topic at hand.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #35
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
My instructor is a Gunsite Alum. I may go there one day.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Various States have decided if you can carry a handgun. I'd say this is one of the few issues where "do'nt ask, do'nt tell" is usefull. Use the common sence god gave you, stay on the U.S. side of the border, keep it well concealed & safe. Only remove if you must and will use it. If curcumstances leave no alturnative be prepared to accept the responsability of violating a state statute to protect your family. Otherwise it may be best to leave it home.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in MO View Post
From a previous post on the earlier thread:

"[B]Can you look another human being in the eyes and still pull the trigger knowing full well that you will undoubtedly kill them and then have to watch them die? "

There are a variety of legal things that protect you criminally but none that will protect you civilly. Jump in here, Gene.
Larry, here I am. There are civil statutes that offer some protection, but I'm no expert in this. But… think about the jury you may face—you're from someplace else traveling through the area and make a mistake and shoot the local cop's son—you have this trailer that tells everyone you're a millionaire. Maybe the bullet went through those thin trailer walls. I see some have a lot of training and that's good. There aren't many people who are accurate shots under pressure, and you can't afford to be wrong.

I think the quote Larry added is a very important one. Something like 10 or 20% of soldiers in combat in WWII never fired their guns. Larry, who was in Vietnam, probably knows something about the numbers in that war. We are taught from childhood how wrong it is to kill someone and those teachings stick. There's a reason cops are given time off after a shooting. Most everyone is affected deeply after they've shot someone and especially if they've killed someone. I used to know a guy who was in Vietnam and was face to face with someone ready to kill him—he killed the other guy first and then had recurrent nightmares for years afterward. One night I talked him out of killing himself so he wouldn't have to face the nightmares again. You can get a permit, but actually shooting someone is a lot worse experience for most people than dealing with bureaucracy. The movies make it look too easy to hit someone, to hit them fatally, and not experience the aftermath.

Back to permits. Sorry Stef.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have a conceal carry but never pack my firearm.. Just a personal choice.. i feel I don't need to where I live. But I like having the choice if needed. Pepper spray yes (for wild life)

The local town marshal (who we know personally) Said if you are going to shot someone, You better plan on killing them. Because some stupid jury my make you pay him for his injuries even though he was trying to kill or rob you...

And in Colorado, make sure you do it in your house or drag him across the thresh hold and hose the blood of the front porch. Lot less paper work this way...

Colorado has a the "make my day law"

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Even without a permit, I tend to have one 'available' at all times...in the AS or at home...but never carry one on my person...Wisconsin is particularly bad about protecting individuals who use a firearm for protection..even INSIDE ones home...and Ill be that extends to yours and my AS also...
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well, I made this broad sword when I was in college. Took me two months just to shape the blade. It's 60" long with a 48" blade, 2.25" wide and 1/4" thick. It's tempered steel with large guard and hilt. I always thought it'd be kinda neat to stop at the rest stop at midnight with a couple guys with these and walk in. The bad guys would think you were so nuts they'd definitely leave you alone

I tried to make the Kurgan's sword from the movie Highlander. It's the real deal, but it's a little heavy; 9.5 lbs. I have lopped off 2" diameter trees with it though

OK, back to the serious stuff....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kurgan.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	84068