Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Conceal Carry

I never see anything mentioned on this, but in these times, I figured I would start a thread.

I might mention, laws are constantly changing state to state.

Make sure f you have one you know the recoprocity laws for the state you travel in or threw

P.A.'s out of state lisence, picks up alot that Ohio doesnt have, as in many states cases.

Many states carrying and not having one is a feloney now.

Many reasons to carry. I read an article about a guy camping and he was attacked by a mountain lion. he was with his wife and 2 toddlers. He was cuttin wood with a chain saw when it attacked, he used the saw to buy trime for his family to get into the car (safety) He was amazed at how little damge the saw did when it hit the lion. They did finally get the lion, and destroyed it, as it attacked search dogs.

I have camped and watched black bear. Hiking also. Safety on the trail from animals and deviates.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Yes, you are right...the law varies by state, and there in lies the major problem, IMHO. You might be perfectly legal carrying in your home and neighboring states, but illegal somewhere else, so you need to study the laws.

As an example, and I know this is the extreem, but it is never legal to take a hand gun into Canada, but you can have one in Alaska.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Most states have some kind of local org that will help keep track, always check in case things change.. Where I live we have Kentucky Coalition to Carry Concealed, Inc and they keep an updated map of friendly states and links to the law for those states when available.

This is also a good link, if your state doesn't have a site.. www.carryconcealed.net
stay safe.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I had a CCL but let it lapse after a few years. It's just so uncomfortable. In most states you can have a gun in your car or trailer. That's good enough for me. Being able to haul your peice into WalMart is just not a big deal for me.
I have found that good sense and a cell phone is usually better protection.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Post Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I never see anything mentioned on this, but in these times, I figured I would start a thread.

Make sure f you have one you know the recoprocity laws for the state you travel in or threw

P.A.'s out of state lisence, picks up alot that Ohio doesnt have, as in many states cases.

Many reasons to carry. I read an article about a guy camping and he was attacked by a mountain lion. he was with his wife and 2 toddlers. He was cuttin wood with a chain saw when it attacked, he used the saw to buy trime for his family to get into the car (safety) He was amazed at how little damge the saw did when it hit the lion. They did finally get the lion, and destroyed it, as it attacked search dogs.

I have camped and watched black bear. Hiking also. Safety on the trail from animals and deviates.

For anyone interested in this, here are about 25 pages of previous posts on this important subject.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f347...ada-26766.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ster-3360.html

The NRA website is also very helpfull.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Two Sayings

1. God made men, Sam Colt made them equal

2. It's always better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Seriously though, to inject some more confusion into things; some states allow open carry but not concealed. I know NC for many years, and maybe still today, wouldn't recognize the CCW permits of any other states, but you could have the hogleg laying on the dash in plain sight and that was perfectly legal. You could also have Sam Colt strapped onto your hip and as long as it was in plain sight, it was legal. No permit required.

Another point....if you're worried about predators that have more than two legs, you better not look at anything less potent than a .357 magnum. I'd move right to a .44 magnum. That's another topic though.

There's a book that costs about $12 or so that you can buy that lists all the laws of all the states. They update it every year. I think it's called "The Travelers Guide to CCW" or something like that. Also go to packing.org They used to have all the data on there and it was updated frequently.

I like .44 magnums. Usually bring one along. Never had to use it, but it's there if I do. I like to camp in the boonies. It'll stop a black bear. A Griz would laugh at it. Depending on where you're going...get the right tool for the job. A good rifle is better than any handgun.

This thread will probably invite all manner of flare ups....

take care,
Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Traveler's Guide

The Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States is published annually by Traveler's Guide, P.O. Box 2156, Covington, KY 41012. (859) 491 6400. www.gunlawguide.com or may be purchased through the N.R.A.. The guide is comprehensive and a valuable tool for those of us who travel with sidearms, concealed or otherwise.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Florida's CCP allows carry in I think 27 differant states with some minor regulations whitch very from state to state....SAM

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Power to the People !

1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164
Legal in Calif?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
1. God made men, Sam Colt made them equal

2. It's always better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Those are great quotes, you should post them in the favorite sayings/quotes thread if you haven't already. My hubby Steve wants to install a holster type setup in the armrest of the guacho to carry our firearm. Is this legal since while traveling the AS is our home. We live in Calif.

Mary
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
https://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...-maryw164.html

https://1972airstreamsovereign.blogspot.com/
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Mary, California law changes daily. This is an area you'd do well to research yourself or get a competent legal opinion.

Here are the actual statutes (current, I believe).

12020 PC et. seq. covers concealed weapons in California.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I usually have a hand gun handy in my trailer when I travel but this year I'm planning a trip to BC so I'll leave it at home. In it's place I'll buy a large canister of pepper spray to carry. I think sprays are legal in Canada but not 100% sure. Anyone know?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #12
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bear spray if marked clearly on the can is legal in Canada, but other sprays are probably not. We have taken bear spray to Canada and are always asked if the can is marked as bear spray.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Gene. I'll make sure when I purchase it that is has a good label. I'm thinking Cabela's is the best place to pick it up. I have one a few miles from the house.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
A polarized topic.

I have no intent to challenge the "right to carry" where it is legal to do so but I am going to suggest that protection from "critters" as listed in the orginal post is weak. If there is a comfort level that is needed then there are other alternatives .....

Parks Canada advice (brown bears):
Parks Canada - A Guide to Safety and Conservation on the Trail

Ontario Parks advice (black bears):
http://www.ontarioparks.com/English/..._facts2003.pdf

Bear Spray Products:
Frequently asked questions about UDAP Pepper Power bear spray
pepper spray Canada, bear repellent, bear spray, bear deterrent

And if you still want to know about bringing a Firearm into Canada:
BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'll buy a large canister of pepper spray to carry. I think sprays are legal in Canada but not 100% sure. Anyone know?

This is a much better choice for wild life, and even intruders. Get the bear stuff in the large can..

Shooting at the range is one thing trying to hit a moving target is hard unless it is really close or you are a very good shot.

You can re aim the pepper spray as it is spraying the bullet has gone pass what you are shooting at in less than .005 sec...

I'm not saying don't carry, I have a pretty good collection of guns, old and new. but I have two small kids and will not have the gun loaded in the trailer, so the pepper spray is easy to grab and shoot. And if the kids did get ahold of it, no one would be dead just crying.

And I have seen what that pepper spray does to a charging bear. It turned tail and ran... It's good stuff.

For personal defense I got my wife this. It has two shots in it, Cabela's -- Kimber Guardian Angel PepperBlaster

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
A polarized topic.

I have no intent to challenge the "right to carry" where it is legal to do so but I am going to suggest that protection from "critters" as listed in the orginal post is weak. If there is a comfort level that is needed then there are other alternatives .....

Parks Canada advice (brown bears):
Parks Canada - A Guide to Safety and Conservation on the Trail

Ontario Parks advice (black bears):
http://www.ontarioparks.com/English/..._facts2003.pdf

Bear Spray Products:
Frequently asked questions about UDAP Pepper Power bear spray
pepper spray Canada, bear repellent, bear spray, bear deterrent

And if you still want to know about bringing a Firearm into Canada:
BSF5044 - Importing a Firearm or Weapon Into Canada

Jay
WOW.. thanks for the links, I know I won't ever go there or move there. I can not for the life of me imagine how draconian a government must be to outlaw airsoft.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Concerning CCP. I'll be retiring as a deputy sheriff soon and have asked a lot of fellow officers from other jurisdictions concerning HR 218 and it's ramifications. It appears no one has a clue in my area. Here is a link to an interesting for those active or retired LE: Jones&Mayer - Case Updates
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You all better watch out! We carry as well. And if we're able to find the thing at all, then really watch out, for I am unable to hit the broad side of a barn! (My wife's cabilities are a somewhat different story, however.)

Lynn
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 PM   #19
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
HR 218 is in effect and the Federal guidelines as implemented are pretty clear. Your agency needs to provide you with the proper credentials for your HR 218 protections to be recognized in other states.

I'm retiring at the end of March next year, and frankly I won't care if I ever carry again!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:43 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post

I have a CWP from Montana. It's valid in about a third of the states.
After taking the required class I felt comfortable carrying a pistol. After taking an advanced class I realized how un-prepared I really was. I am re-taking the advanced class so I can move onto the highest level class that our instructor will teach to a civilian. This one includes how to shoot at moving targets and how to shoot while moving.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote