Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
If your following this post on "propane" fueled portable fire pits, you will note that many of us have the Solo and other wood fueled fire pits also...it's the "summer ban" on charcoal and wood fires, plus the restrictions on bringing firewood across state lines that has many of us moving to the propane fire pits Not to mention it's pretty nice not having to deal with smoke issues with wood... Oh, not to mention the cost of a bundle of wood at these camp sites now days!

It use to burn me up to not be able to use wood for fire or charcoal for bbq….now use my propane fire pit and my propane grill...mama's happy, and no smoky smelling cloths!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:21 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Is this a bad time to admit that one of my greatest joys in camping is having my clothes covered in the smell of a campfire? To each their own I suppose....you do you gypsydad! [emoji3]

Now if they could just make burning propane smell like burning wood - I’d be all over a convenient portable propane fire kit! [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Leawood , Kansas
rmkrum, We have had our Biolite for 5 months. We purchased it after one of our camping neighbors in CA raved about theirs. We start the fire with few starter sticks and a few pieces of wood on a low setting, which gets a nice fire going in a short time. You can probably bump the setting to medium or high to get the fire going even quicker. The battery has lasted us about 6 hrs using mostly a low-med setting. Also works well without the battery attachment, just takes a little longer. There are a lot of good ones out there, but this size/shape fits the storage puzzle in our truck bed.
Why don't you open the box of the one you have and check it out! :-)
Note: Biolite has several products with solar charging capabilities, not sure if they've come out with one for this model in recent months.
graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
compact portable fire pit

Mine came with a solar charger cover as a part of a group funding deal. Have been buried in work since the package arrived. Should have a chance to play with it on our next trip.

Their fun device is the small, backpack sized wood-pellet burning stove that generates its own power to run the blower and charge devices or run a light just by burning wood. It’s quite powerful and portable. That one boils a quart or so of water in a short time. Tried that and was amazed.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoose View Post
rmkrum, We have had our Biolite for 5 months. We purchased it after one of our camping neighbors in CA raved about theirs. We start the fire with few starter sticks and a few pieces of wood on a low setting, which gets a nice fire going in a short time. You can probably bump the setting to medium or high to get the fire going even quicker. The battery has lasted us about 6 hrs using mostly a low-med setting. Also works well without the battery attachment, just takes a little longer. There are a lot of good ones out there, but this size/shape fits the storage puzzle in our truck bed.
Why don't you open the box of the one you have and check it out! :-)
Note: Biolite has several products with solar charging capabilities, not sure if they've come out with one for this model in recent months.
Guess you folks must do all your camping in the desert or on the beach...no fires in the inland parks during summer months...think Yosemite, Big Bear, other places...we did use ours in Borrego springs several times...and that is nice; but we also used the propane last visit over new years... enjoy where you can, for sure.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:58 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I carry around the extra 20# propane for BBQ, my Dual Fuel generator from Champion, and now my fire pit. I also can just hook up to the front quick disconnect outlet on my AS with a longer hose...I carry that also, but the small bottle is easy to move around and is not an issue if you have a pickup bed to carry all these "extra" luxury items that enhance the Airstream experience!....
How do you hook up the quick connect to a grill that uses a 1 lb. bottle. I have had trouble finding that adapter and hose. Thanks.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
A galvanized tub makes a cool fire pit too. And comes in all sizes. Poke some holes in the bottom for better air flow. And no ground contact! Or the wash tub idea is amazing if you want a fire that is hot and long lasting. Great air circulation with that .
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
A galvanized tub makes a cool fire pit too. And comes in all sizes. Poke some holes in the bottom for better air flow. And no ground contact! Or the wash tub idea is amazing if you want a fire that is hot and long lasting. Great air circulation with that .
Yea, that is a common "home made" fire pit I see in the desert a lot where we have camped. Also see truck tire rims, etc.. The Solo comes pretty close to that design of the washer tub, but a lot better (and more $$).

Issue is when you can not have a wood campfire due to fire restrictions. (that sucks!) I was fighting the propane idea for a long time, unstill we went to Jasper a few years back and I saw my neighbor had one...You may know, in Canadian parks, they typically supply the firewood at no charge...very nice folks indeed. But, when you can't burn it, it's like being in a doughnut shop while on a diet! I have only used our propane pit on 2 occasions since we got it, but it sure is easy to start, there is no smoke, still does Smore's and dogs for the kids, puts out heat, and no dealing with wood or smoke. Yea, I love the crackle of wood, but what you going to do!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM   #29
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Mine came with a solar charger cover as a part of a group funding deal. Have been buried in work since the package arrived. Should have a chance to play with it on our next trip.

Their fun device is the small, backpack sized wood-pellet burning stove that generates its own power to run the blower and charge devices or run a light just by burning wood. It’s quite powerful and portable. That one boils a quart or so of water in a short time. Tried that and was amazed.
The biolite is a really nice size and has a great visual fire, but I couldn't do it 1) I really don't want to hear the fan going all the time 2) with the solar cover it takes 3-4 DAYS for the battery in the fan to charge.

I have the SoloStove and I really like it.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
How do you hook up the quick connect to a grill that uses a 1 lb. bottle. I have had trouble finding that adapter and hose. Thanks.
There are several on Amazon; here is the overview of many avalible. I got the QD which screws onto my grill 1lb connection and I use a 10' hose to my 20# propane bottle or my AS....
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=propane+b...ref=nb_sb_noss
Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Leawood , Kansas
Thiel, as mentioned, the Biolite also works great without the fan on.
graygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Outlander has a 25% promotion on propane fire rings if you go directly to their site.
https://outlandliving.com/collections/fire-pits
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote