Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
commercial wrapped TV legal and liablities?

Been thinking through vehicles and had a fleeting thought about buying a 3500 express van for my business, wrapping it with full company graphics, and using it as my tow vehicle. Big rolling advertisement (we also travel to shows that we exhibit at - sometimes with rolling apartment in tow, sometimes not)

Any thoughts on legality, liability, being targeted for friv. wrecks, pros, cons?

From a practical standpoint, the van (wrapped or not wrapped) provides a lot of space for stuff, easy access via doors, handy in transporting business goods. From a fun factor, it's boring.

The alternative is to remain incognito in a truck, zero company mentions.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Not sure what you're getting at? What type of liability?

Are you thinking that travelers at RV parks won't want the "commercial vehicle" in the campground?

Are you thinking there is some type of legal liability issue?

Are you thinking the IRS won't consider you driving to Yellowstone a business expense?

Are you thinking that the vehicle is visually distracting and can be a cause of an accident?

Please clarify the question so we can help.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Fair enough.

of course when it comes to the IRS, you have to log everything that's personal as personal. But I like to hear more about how others go about it.

My concern is what if lawsuit hunter slams on their brakes in front of you on purpose. I'm not sure if that sort of stuff really happens, but it seems to me your exposure goes way up. But maybe I'm just being spooked for no reason.

Let's not forget the additional expense of commercial insurance that would be needed.

Just wondering if the whole thing is worth it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Drive aware and have lots of insurance. Your liability goes way up when you use a business vehicle for both business and personal use. Same for your trailer. Insurance companies will want to know the primary use of your vehicles. Hopefully you have a qualified lawyer to advise you on business concerns.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Around 20 years ago, the company I worked for used to issue bright blue company cars with a company logo to their field engineers. The perception was that these rolling advertisements were also rolling targets, so first they changed the color of the cars to white, then they lost the logo, and finally, they stopped buying company cars altogether.

So to the question of whether your commercial vehicle may be a target for those looking for a lawsuit, I suppose it is a question of whether your company is recognised as having deep pockets. At any rate, it is a real issue.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just an aside... I knew of one whose Airstream had a company logo on it and the park wouldn't let them stay ... not sure if it was public or private park. Also I know campers are not allowed to "conduct business" some RV parks...not sure if a wrapped vehicle comes under the umbrella of "doing business"... It probably depends on the park's management. Things to consider.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #7
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I know some municipalities generate revenue via a billboard tax. You might receive a tax bill just for driving through! Might get expensive!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Yeah I think I'm just going to forget this idea
Old 05-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Yeah I think I'm just going to forget this idea
I think you're right. Anonymity is good. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Asheville , North Carolina
Depending on where you are going, some national parks and other NPS sites won't allow commercial vehicles. For example, the Blue Ridge Parkway runs through my hometown of Asheville, and even one of those magnetic door signs technically aren't permitted on vehicles entering the Parkway.

On the auto insurance issue, millions of small business owners and professionals use their personal vehicles part time for business use (my wife and I among them), with mileage deductions on Schedule D. We disclose this to our insurance carrier, and that doesn't seem to affect the rate in any significant way. However, a vehicle owned by the business and used entirely for business use may be a different situation.
LanSluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Have you considered magnetic signs on sides and rear of your TV when you get to events? I always think how much it costs to replace if a vehicle is damaged.
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I was a salesman for 35 years and all my dealers (customers) faced this issue. Never saw one of them that had a problem. The vans road and worked great.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
My concern is what if lawsuit hunter slams on their brakes in front of you on purpose. I'm not sure if that sort of stuff really happens, but it seems to me your exposure goes way up. But maybe I'm just being spooked for no reason.
Well, if you're concerned with lawsuit hunters, then you need to go talk to a lawyer about proper asset protection. The truck should be in it's own LLC that is leased to your company. You can also upstream and reduce taxes this way. I'm leary of giving serious advice here on this forum of this topic with the opinions of the members here.

But I can tell you, on paper, if you wanted to sue me, you'd find I don't own anything, even though I have a bunch of stuff. Everything is wrapped up in LLC's galore and stuffed into various trusts, blah blah all the details you get.

Usually though, a lawsuit hunter will be able to discover with a background check the average persons assets and then attempt to sue for a portion or all of it and sometimes even more. For example a good PI or lawyer can determine how much equity you have on your home.

Again, best discussed with a lawyer, not on Airforums.

And even if your business is an LLC, putting assets into separate LLC's has the advantage of restarting business faster, when someone can't sue your business and take all it's assets.

Example of this, my uncle owns a contracting business. His company acts like a franchise and leases it's name to another company, that company keeps 10K cash for payroll and employees. Then another company owns the trucks and tools.

Company A leases franchises the name to company B which pays company A a fee. Company C leases the equipment to company B, same thing. So only company B is technically working on the job. When company B screws up, you can only sue company B. Company B goes out of business, only looses it's payroll. New company D takes it's place. If this makes sense. A lot of bigger businesses operate this way.

Not going heavily into it. Get a lawyer, an accountant, I am not one.

I could be talking out my butt. Grain of salt, usual warnings, blah blah blah.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I don't own anything either. The banks own it all. Sue me all you want. There is nothing to collect. I am about one more bill from filling bankruptcy and walking away from it all.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Uniform Commercial Code, 1-308, and 1st amendment to the Constitution apply. Use it or lose it.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote