Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2004, 04:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
**Columbus Shootings**

Here is a link with some news around Columbus, Ohio.

Beware when traveling through this area!
I-270 Shootings

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Kinda makes me wonder... has anyone ever heard of Airstreams that were improved to be more secure against an attack? I wouldn't imagine most campgrounds would necessitate this, but ya never know...

In Columbia, it's something like a multi-billion dollar industry, with the frequency of kidnappings and shootings of wealthy people as they sit at stoplights. I wouldn't imagine it'd be difficult to retrofit a layer of cloth Kevlar between inner and outer skins, replace all windows with bulletproof glass, and install a thick guage bomb shield under the frame. Some might argue that you're still a sitting duck, so it makes less sense to beef up a trailer than a car, but it would still give one valuable time to plan an escape/defense.

As all these are rather commonly available (for a huge price!) on cars, I figure much of the technology would work just as well in an Airstream environment - though exponentially more expensive. And heavy... the President's cars are something like twice the weight of a normal vehicle - on a program I saw on Discovery, they said each doors weighed something like 400 lbs!

...Or maybe I've watched one too many Tom Clancy/Jack Ryan movies lately.
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:00 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Dude, I don't know where you're planning on camping, but...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
Dude, I don't know where you're planning on camping, but...
I've love to enjoy the wonderful sights and sounds of, say, a Compton or 8-Mile area of Detroit... but being a geeky-looking white fellow with no upper-body strength prevents me from camping out there, in som empty lot littered with broken glass.

But with a super duper bomb-proof Airstream, well the world really would be my oyster, and I feel like it would really provide some unique camping experiences!

Of course, if I were in a neighborhood that rundown, there's just as much of a chance that I'd wake up to realize my super safe trailer had been deftly put up on bricks in the night, and find my split-rims and baby moons gone.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

What had you planned on towing this fortess with? Perhaps the national guard has a tank laying around that you could use. That sure would eliminate most of the traffic worries.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Mr. Remington manages our security concerns quite well, thank you. He has this thing about garlic filled .357 hollow points that adds a bit of spice to the equation.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just rmember, it won't be a one-time deal. That glass has to be replaced periodically, as the UV damages the bullet-resistance over time, just like our tires. And speaking of tires, I guess you should shop for some 10 ply tires for this rolling fortress of aluminum.
Terry
Old 02-16-2004, 05:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by joecj76
What had you planned on towing this fortess with?
Quote:
Originally posted by argosy20
I guess you should shop for some 10 ply tires for this rolling fortress of aluminum.
Seriously guys, it's not for me! Just wondering aloud. It actually sounds like about the most inconvenient, weight-saddling thing you could do to an otherwise very practical trailer, but who knows? In todays world, with Pope-mobiles, JFK's and with Presidents and astronauts having used A/S's in the past, I thought this must've occured to someone by now.

Brad (not impregnating his GlobeTrotter with Kevlar) Cornelius
Old 02-17-2004, 01:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Cool Bullet proof

I don't know how resistant to gunfire your Airstream is, but when we were camped north of LA there were some inner-city kids camped nearby. I was sitting inside reading a book and heard a couple of them talking as they walked past our Globe Trotter. I heard one say, "Cool, look at that!" His friend replied, "It must be bullet proof." What counts is that they THINK it's so.

Forrest
Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
... has anyone ever heard of Airstreams that were improved to be more secure against an attack?
Bredlo,

I seen a picture of a A/S on here I think that looked almost like an armored vehicle. I can't seem to find it though. It had what looked liked metal diamond panels all the way around the bottom. It looked quite heavy if you asked me.

Maybe someone else knows where it's at!

Wish I could find that link!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 02-17-2004, 06:43 AM   #11
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo

I've love to enjoy the wonderful sights and sounds of, say, a Compton or 8-Mile area of Detroit... but being a geeky-looking white fellow with no upper-body strength prevents me from camping out there, in som empty lot littered with broken glass.

But with a super duper bomb-proof Airstream, well the world really would be my oyster, and I feel like it would really provide some unique camping experiences!

Of course, if I were in a neighborhood that rundown, there's just as much of a chance that I'd wake up to realize my super safe trailer had been deftly put up on bricks in the night, and find my split-rims and baby moons gone.
And, remember, at some point you have to get from the tow vehicle to the trailer... and then back.

"Honey, I have an idea for an interesting and exciting camping experience this summer!" lol!
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Silvertwinky

I remember that AS, I think it was for sale on Ebay over a month ago.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 09:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinky
I seen a picture of a A/S on here I think that looked almost like an armored vehicle. I can't seem to find it though. It had what looked liked metal diamond panels all the way around the bottom. It looked quite heavy if you asked me.
Maybe:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ght=demolition

?
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Yes, that's the one!

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360