Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Amen on the rapidly changing mountain weather in the spring and fall. We are going to try Yellowstone next week. I hope we are not too late. Some small campgrounds around us are already closing for the season, mainly due to low visitor rates. Winter can start in October in the mountains.

I ain't towing on slick roads, period.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
options

It is important to me, as the driver, to prepare food and drink for the cab on long drive days. It can be difficult to find a place to stop for lunch or a snack when you are underway with such a big TT. We have a 34' classic. I have a thermos of coffee in the morning. Unless we have a lunch stop planned we pack one in the cab in soft sided cooler along with drinks.

We have done short days and long, we drove all the way from Calgary, AB to Lynden Washington one day. But that is a long day. If we are trying to get somewhere we try to limit the day to around 400 mi. If there are interesting stops along the way or we are just poking around we like the rule of 2s. Travel no more than 200 miles per day, get in by 2:00pm and stay for 2 nights.

We find it much less stressful to plan our stops, fuel, food and campgrounds in advance so we can be sure we can get in and out without a hassle. We carry 10 gal of extra fuel. It has come in handy when there are no good option for fuel. just hit a rest stop to add fuel.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
racer57, you gotta have a real compelling reason to plan a trip like that with two young ones. The drive half of the way across this beautiful country of ours isn't worth the hassles you will endure. You're talking nearly 4000 miles round trip. I've crossed the great plains many times and find it very flat.

The Rocky Mountains are majestic for sure, especially after two days on the great plains. But you have beautiful areas much closer to home, such as the Adirondacks, White and Green Mountains, western Pennsylvania, and Appalachian mountains. If you have visited those areas, you may find the Rockies just another beautiful place. Some folks think Glacier National Park is one of the better places to visit in the Rockies.

However long grueling trip notwithstanding, you would be most welcome. We are heading out soon from the Denver area to Yellowstone and plan on seeing some beautiful scenery. Likewise, we will always fondly remember our trip to Acadia National Park, it was just as nice as the Rockies.

David
David, children are the BEST reason to take these long trips! To see these places through the eyes of your children is to see things in a whole new way. I wish I had had enough money to make these kinds of trips when my children were young. I did manage LOTS of camping, hiking, backpacking, and fishing trips with them, and to this day all of them do the outdoors, the two who are married with children now take their own children to camp, fish, hike, and I know that my grandchildren will be backpackers as well.

I remember one long drive to the Colorado River with my daughter and 3 Boy Scouts. I was an Assistant Scoutmaster, our troop was going on a 17 mile canoe trip and meeting other troops for a canoe rally type of thing. My daughter was in the attached Venture Crew. The drive took an extra long time because the weather took a severe nose dive. Rain, sleet, snow, hail, and fog so thick you could only see the taillights of the car in front of you; we were on the Bakers Grade. You know what? We had a BLAST on that drive! The boys and Erin were at the age that they'd be drivers themselves in a couple years, so I began quizzing them on rules of the road, and offering up various situations asking what would they do. We played the usual car games, and most fun, we did the arm pump with ALL the truckers! I'd drive by, slow down, and all kids did the arm pump, of course the truckers responded with a blast of horn. But after several miles we became aware that the truckers were talking about us because I no sooner came upon a truck and their horn would be going and they'd be waving!!! We did that for hundreds of miles.

I see traveling with children as part of the grand adventure. Love it! Can't wait until I can take my grandkids along with us.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
When do you leave? We just spent the last 2 months in Colorado, and we're in WY right now, and we'll be here for another 3 weeks. We have a few videos of our adventures in Colorado. We really enjoyed crested butte, gunnison (for the mountain biking) and the winter park area.

Denver and its suburbs were a mess. It was super tough to find camping, and they don't let you stay at Walmarts there. Maybe it'll be easier now that it's after Labor Day. If you're coming to the Jackson area, we'd love to connect.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
San Antonio , Texas
Pack some warm clothes as there is already snow on the 14ers (Mt. Blanca) in southern colorado, it looks like winter is coming early this year according to a friend that lives there.
Ralph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #26
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
We are in Pinedale right now. The Wind River range got snow last night.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Looks like we did a good job of talking racer57 out of the trip plan from Pennsylvania to Colorado and Wyoming.

racer57, what says ye? On the road yet?

David
Old 09-19-2016, 07:44 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
Harrisonville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasr View Post
When my wife and were young, as in the 1970s, we traveled back and forth across the USA with a shorter trailer (23') and three kids. You don't say whether there will be one adult or two, with the two small children. If there are two adults, you will manage, but if you are driver, navigator, and child care superintendent, I would suggest you borrow another adult to accompany you. The 7 yr old isn't old enough to manage all of the 3 yr olds needs, and you can't be turning your head and trying to manage whatever is going on in the back seat, and drive a 34' triple axle Airstream at the same time. Just saying.

The second issue is your tires: check them or have them checked for age, condition, air pressure, and if you don't have a tire pressure monitoring system for both trailer and tow vehicle, spend the money and get them. Have you had your AS bearings lubed recently, and your brakes checked? If not have both done. You don't want to break down in Wyoming or Nebraska or Western Kansas or...you get the idea. If you have a GPS with a larger screen great, if not your navigator will need good eyesight, and you should have maps as well.

You don't say what your tow vehicle is. Your tow vehicle will need HP and Torque, but if you pull the mountain grades in Western PA you should be alright. As your elevation rises in the West, the HP of your vehicle drops. If you are in Eastern Colorado and Eastern Wyoming less of a problem, if you are going over 7000 it is more noticeable.

The other advice from Posters you have been given is right on: limit your total driving to 300 or less, take many stops and exercise the kids, insist that they go potty every time the vehicle stops, fuel, rest stops, whatever. I don't have to isn't an acceptable answer. Have finger food in small baggies to keep them busy, along with iPads or equivalent, preloaded with their favorite games and diversions and cartoons.

Good Luck, and have two adults. I'm in my 70s and I've done this for a long time; kids and grandkids, and pets.
+dcasr
It will be 4 adults an 2 kids. I will be pulling with a diesel truck so power will be no problem. Thanks for the advise!
racer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:47 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
Quote:
racer57, you gotta have a real compelling reason to plan a trip like that with two young ones. The drive half of the way across this beautiful country of ours isn't worth the hassles you will endure. You're talking nearly 4000 miles round trip. I've crossed the great plains many times and find it very flat.

The Rocky Mountains are majestic for sure, especially after two days on the great plains. But you have beautiful areas much closer to home, such as the Adirondacks, White and Green Mountains, western Pennsylvania, and Appalachian mountains. If you have visited those areas, you may find the Rockies just another beautiful place. Some folks think Glacier National Park is one of the better places to visit in the Rockies.

However long grueling trip notwithstanding, you would be most welcome. We are heading out soon from the Denver area to Yellowstone and plan on seeing some beautiful scenery. Likewise, we will always fondly remember our trip to Acadia National Park, it was just as nice as the Rockies.

David
I do have a reason. My father in law wants to go out before he cant physically and he asked if we could take him. We prob don't have too much time to make it happen. Thanks again for the advise!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by explore more View Post
When do you leave? We just spent the last 2 months in Colorado, and we're in WY right now, and we'll be here for another 3 weeks. We have a few videos of our adventures in Colorado. We really enjoyed crested butte, gunnison (for the mountain biking) and the winter park area.

Denver and its suburbs were a mess. It was super tough to find camping, and they don't let you stay at Walmarts there. Maybe it'll be easier now that it's after Labor Day. If you're coming to the Jackson area, we'd love to connect.
Planning on late June 2017
Old 09-19-2016, 07:57 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
Quote:
Looks like we did a good job of talking racer57 out of the trip plan from Pennsylvania to Colorado and Wyoming.

racer57, what says ye? On the road yet?

David
Lots of things to consider. I want to hear pros and cons. It why i asked! So far I have discovered that any day in my Airstream is better than a day at home!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Hi Racer57. We just traveled thru the Midwest states in May and June. Gone a total of 5 weeks. (From Texas to South Dakota and back.)

As a Colorado native myself, once upon a time I would have agreed the great plains are boring. It all depends when you're traveling. Spring and early summer are the prettiest after winter snow and rain, there's lot's of green. In June you might still be able to see wildflowers. Don't let the kids pick any since many of them are protected. Take pics then do some research to see if you can identify them. It's a good time for intro bird watching too. We saw lots of Canada geese with goslings. You might get hummingbirds too. Pack an easy to clean plastic hummingbird feeder. Guarantee they'll find it.

Be extra careful with the wind. It's a bear. All those east west interstates can get bad cross winds. A heavy-duty weight/distribution sway hitch such as Hensley or Pro-Pride might save your bacon. Our Pro-pride certainly kept us where we belonged, but our new heftier tow vehicle was part of the equation too. Lots of semi traffic on I-80.

Some folks have already mentioned many places I'm familiar with. If you go through SD. You have Mt. Rushmore, The Badlands, The Mammath Dig in Hot Springs, Reptile Gardens, Crazy Horse, Bear Country, Spirit Mound near Vermillion (also USD), the Lewis and Clark trail. To name a few.

P.S. Pack plenty of mosquito and tick repellent, extra socks. Never leave food outside. Anywhere.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Gotta add one more quite thing. No need to be paranoid but do stay out of tall grass where you can't see what's around you. That kind of area or where there's heavy brush is prime tick country, though they might invade your rig too. But there might be some other things you can't see. Like rattlesnakes. We had a snake encounter in OK at a USACE campground right next to the road and near the bathrooms.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
One last thing, most of us have mentioned many terrestrial sights and activities. But the best part of coming out west is looking up at night. Let the kids stay up at least one night, after a nap or two. Some parks like the Badlands in SD have Night Sky Activities. Is there an observatory near any of the places you might want to visit? Some of them have star parties open to the public. If anyone in your party is interested in photography? Astrophotography might be right up their alley. But now is the time to look into and make sure they have the right equipment.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Starstream is right about the stars.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet…

The high altitudes can be rough on the elderly. Slow ascents minimize the affects a bit. The slower the better. Like a few thousand feet a day even.

Altitude doesn't bother everybody, but I've seen really rugged, outdoorsy types in their late 30s, have to bail on a hiking trip because of altitude sickness.

The last time I was in Vail, I was about 50 years old, I could not sleep the first night. It can be worse than that.

Google Earth is a helpful tool ( or the old fashioned TOPO map ) In google earth scan the cursor over a location…the altitude is displayed on the bottom.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Jewell , Kansas
Racer57.... You're in for an amazing journey! Don't discount the prairie portion of your trip. My little hometown (in North central KS) offers free camper parking, $5.00 electrical, and a dump station. Plus, we also have a little lake for picnicking, camping, or fishing. Many towns along hi way 36 offer the same situation and it keeps you out of the interstate 75mph traffic. It helps with the long trip across the Plains.

Oh, and unless you are accustomed to altitude, get Boost. My husband is a musician and did a gig at Leadville, CO in June. We've endured getting acclimated, but this lessens the struggles immensely. You can find it most everywhere once you get above 4000 feet. I'll not do Colorado altitude without it again. Traveling with both ends of the spectrum like you are, this will help your passengers enjoy the adventure! Safe for everyone. I got mine at a bicycle shop. Wally carries it as well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474392001.015045.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	272042
Prairie Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:13 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Okay racer57, you do have good reason and you do have a plan. Makes sense. AirForums has given you plenty of advise on your big upcoming trip. And there is plenty more to be had when you ask.

The oxygen supplement is good advice. It too me quite a while to acclimate. I've not seen one, but I'm told the ski resorts have oxygen "bars" that help people feel better. There's about 25% less air at 8000 feet above sea level.

We happen to be traveling in the Rockies ourselves at this moment. Here is a photo to whet your adventure appetite.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1609 RMNP Aspen 2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	531.3 KB
ID:	272075  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
The best cure for altitude sickness is to go back down at least 1000 feet and rest there for 24 hours. Not doing so can cause real problems, like brain swelling.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:30 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
Tires, tires, tires!! Keep better/newer tires than is reasonable, and make sure they are of recent manufacture....the date they were made is very important. Following this rule for 55,000 miles in Alaska, Newfoundland, canyons and deserts of the southwest, Rocky Mtns. And such....we have never even needed to inflate. Safe travels.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
To add to rjack's advice, while roadside assistance is nice to have, once you start getting further from the larger communities, the longer it can take for someone to reach you. If you haven't changed a tire on your tow vehicle or trailer before, take time to practice as many times as you can. All the able-bodied adults in your party should know how to do it. The wheels on your tow vehicle might be pretty heavy, so could be a two person job. Get a battery jump/air compressor that has it's own heavy duty battery, and make sure it's fully charged before you leave. Doesn't hurt to have a spare battery either, in case a cab light stays on overnight or the seven-way doesn't get unplugged. You might also have some other ghosts that can deplete a battery so low it won't hold a charge. Our '99 Expedition had air bag suspension that developed a slow leak, and the compressor ran even when the vehicle wasn't running. Sucked the life out of a battery less than a year old.