Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Colorado W70 driving in winter

Hi, we plan to drive our AS FC 27FB along West Interstate 70 from Silverthorne, CO, to Vail, Aspen on Hwy 82, Grand Junction (back on I70), down to Telluride on I50. Anyone with experience 'navigating these waters' (OK, driving these roads) in winter? Towing with a LR4 Land Rover. Any suggestions on RV parks/parking at or near those locations will be also greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I can't recommend pulling your Airstream on that trip in the winter months. It snows a LOT. I personally do not tow when the roads are slick with snow and ice. The semi trucks are required to "chain up" when it snows. Towing uphill and more importantly downhill requires excellent traction.

But some people do it. They have no fear. How would you like to wake up to this.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403 Sow Covered GlobeTrotter.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	273513  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I70

we live in Silverthorne part time. usually for the winter ski season. I have driven that stretch in all conditions. I would NOT tow on that stretch after a storm until the road is cleared. There are so many accidents around storms that we get local text messages with warnings about them and the associated road closures. It is also steep. Now they do the best job with road clearing I have observed anywhere in the US. but you can and will run into some ice during the winter on that stretch of road so go during mid day, pay attention to the listed road conditions and go slow on the down hill.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
I wouldn't do it. Unpredictable, possibly treacherous conditions and way too many people who don't know how to drive in mountains even in good weather.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Hi, Vitaver, welcome to the forum.

Are you a native Floridian, or a northern transplant? Do you have any prior experience driving in the snow? How much towing experience do you have? If both are new to you, the mountains are the last place you need to visit in winter until you have a lot more experience under your belt. What I remember of many of those high altitude highways (from my childhood), was the number of sheer drop-offs one encounters. Slipping off a highway there could mean going down a very steep drop. Before you get to the mountains, some part of your route will probably take you across the Great Plains. Start from Dallas and draw a line across the US. Pretty much all those states north of that line get snow in the winter (including the Texas panhandle). The wind rarely dies down in the Plains, and even an inch or two of snow is bad for visibility. Get enough ice on the highways and the wind can blow you right off the road.

I have to make a trip (sans trailer) at the end of the month to NW Iowa to help our younger daughter move back to Texas. If she didn't have an obligation to a family member the last weekend of Oct., I would have been up there to get her already. My deadline is that weekend. So I'm going to help her keep my mother-in-law company, then we're hitting the road on the 31st and boogying back. I haven't driven in bad winter weather for 16 years. Not chancing it now and there are predictions for an early winter this year.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
RV parks and forest service campgrounds all close down for the winter...as early as Labor Day. I wouldn't think of towing my trailer through the mountains during winter months

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
Lived in Vail for 15 years. Don't do it. Really bad idea. Even if the roads are clear when you start climbing a pass, they may not be when you get to the top. You can go from sunshine to blizzard in 15 minutes. Also, most areas are closed for camping during the winter. One last thing; how comfortable are you turning your airstream around on the width of two lanes? You may be heading west when the highway patrol makes everyone turn around in the west bound lanes and head east. It happens when storms pop up and they're not prepared. Hit Vail and Aspen in the summer when it's beautiful.
Stelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you for the welcome and your info. We are already in Silverthorne having safely made the trip from Ft. Lauderdale without incident. Of course, snow, ice and high winds on the high dessert is a whole different game. We do push the envelope (what would life be otherwise, right?) but staying within 'reason'. So far lady luck has been kind, including on solo passages in open ocean from Bermuda to Tortola and back (just checking off boxes on the bucket list). Will help luck with chains for the tires on top of the new S/M new Continental shoes the Land Rover just got. Like in sailing, will look for weather windows, aware that it can change in minutes. The advise from the Forum is very important to us and will be a lot more conservative to make our daily drives limited to 120 miles or less, midday with good forecast. Again, like in sailing, there is no schedule other than the one dictated by nature. While towing across 7 states including Florida all the way to Colorado, in perfect weather and roads, at 70+ mph everything worked out perfect. I expect winter in the mountains will keep it under 35 mph, to a crawl on steep grades of course. Again, thank you.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you, and that is one worrisome pic of an event (or many) guaranteed to happen. With the trailer being heated, I hope it won't be covered as much, but I have no experience on that. I remember a friend's bumper sticker: 'Attitude, the difference between ordeal and adventure'. Crossing the line to 'stupidity' not a good idea but... then again the line is kinda blurred. Thank you for the words of caution, I will deposit more credits into the good luck box, so when it hits I'll have better odds. That is a tradition from our sailing years that served us well sparing our butts in plenty of situations.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you, very important point! I am calling ahead and making reservations at RV parks. So far Aspen-Basalt campground is not taking reservations till next month, at Telluride the parking for RVs with permission for overnight stay is covered at the Gondola parking, levels 1, 3 and 4. At Vail the only option is a Walmart, not included on the 'don't park overnight' list they publish. Grand Junction KOA is the other (planned) stop. Should they close for winter... there won't be a trip for us. We like adventure and (me) adrenaline, but not beyond (not that young anymore). Thank you!
Old 10-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

You did not mention plumbing freeze-up issues, so I assume you have that covered and have winterized already. Airstream pipes are not really designed for freezing weather.

Kudos for your sense of adventure!

Happy trails.

Peter

PS -- Edit -- Your Post #9 raises concerns IMO. The freeze-up issues are generally speaking not "blurred."
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you and a very good point. I did not have to turn the RV on a two-lane spread yet, but will practice before embarking on such trip. If I can't, the trip won't happen. I appreciate your insight, that is a deal breaker.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Breckenridge , Colorado
If you have some patience and are flexible with your time, the driving part of this is very doable. Watch the weather - the roads can clear quickly after a storm. But be ready to stay put in any sign of bad weather. Vail Pass is tough in even marginal conditions. West of Edwards, not too bad. Finding places to stay in winter may be a little tough. I think from Glenwood Springs west there are more places to stay. Good luck.
-snow
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
After some more reading in this (fantastic!) Forum, I'll get another set of chains for the RV. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Thank you, we did winterize our AS by following the procedures for both methods: blowing compressed air (got a compressor), emptying the water heater tank, removing the filter under the sink and replacing it with the straight pipe, and pouring some 8 gallons of RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) into the fresh water tank, the traps under sinks and shower, and draining the tanks. Of course, we have to drain the RV antifreeze in preparation for the trip, and again fill it up with fresh water while keeping the furnace going on propane (topped off bottles) so we can actually live on it. Makes sense? Again, thank you!
Old 10-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned...MagCloride.

In the winter, in the mountains & foothills it's on the roads. MagCloride wreaks havoc on aluminum & clearcoat. It will get in any breaches in your clearcoat and corrode the aluminum. We don't take our trailer out in the winter months...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Park City , Utah
I live in the mountains and concur with all those recommending caution... Telluride city park campground (dry camp only) closed for the season on Oct 10th. Try Ouray or Montrose... Safe travels.
Ramjet48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #18

2009 27' FB International
Waterbury , Vermont
winterdriving pulling airstream

I have lived in snow country for the past 45 years and would notpull an airstream under possible bad road winter conditions. I have pulled a 7000lb trailer on snow and ice roads and would NEVER do it again. It scars the S--- out of you fwhen suddenly the trailer is next to you and you cant do anything about it. Good luck. Stay safe and dont do it!!!!
SteveLande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Agree with all the above, don't try it and don't press your luck. Even if the roads look clear, there is always black ice on the north facing corners, never melts.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #20
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
All of the above points are well taken and valid.

I grew up in Eastern Canada driving in snow and ice all the time and I am confident driving in that environment, however - with a trailer its a different story.

Heading south to Mexico in January I had to drive over Grants Pass in Oregon/ I-5. DOT cameras showed wet pavement with some snow, so we broke camp and hit the road. Driving up the pass was not a problem, my 4x4 Ram handled that easily enough. Going down hill - that was something else!

If I braked, my trailer's wheels locked and it would skid to one side or the other trying to over run me; If I eased off the brake controller, the trailer would try to go faster than me in my truck increasing my speed; If I geared down, with and without brakes on the trailer I was still on the edge of losing control... It was like having a monster on my back end pushing me faster than I wanted to go.

How fast was I going? All of 35 mph and less on a road that was not snow covered, just a bit icy and greasy from a recent 2" snow fall.

I managed the swerving trailer and the brake-pedal-gear-shift dance until at last the highway flattened out however it was no fun at all and I wont do it again! For me - no mountain passes in winter period. Its not worth the stress.