Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Louie,

I would like to see that law, statute or rule as well.

"In fact, look forward to a traffic ticket for pulling a RV in unsafe conditions & being forced to park where the contact is made. Then, add the cost of having it hauled to a storage facility off the roadway."
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Vitaver,
A suggestion: I use the app STORM by Weather Underground for real time weather alerts based upon my gps position. Set the radius, 25 miles...100 miles, and the conditions for which you want to be alerted, eg. snow, hazardous driving.... Radar presentation that moves with you.
Very sharp tool.

Safe Travels,
Joe
Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Breckenridge , Colorado
I have lived in Colorado for 43 years and I have never heard of such a law.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Vitaver,
A suggestion: I use the app STORM by Weather Underground for real time weather alerts based upon my gps position. Set the radius, 25 miles...100 miles, and the conditions for which you want to be alerted, eg. snow, hazardous driving.... Radar presentation that moves with you.
Very sharp tool.

Safe Travels,
Joe
Thank you Joe, I definitely will.
Vitaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Colorado W70 driving in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Louie,

I would like to see that law, statute or rule as well.

"In fact, look forward to a traffic ticket for pulling a RV in unsafe conditions & being forced to park where the contact is made. Then, add the cost of having it hauled to a storage facility off the roadway."

I searched widely, including codot.gov, and find no such provisions. The following is reproduced by Woodalls, RVTripWizard and others.

COLORADO: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motor- home length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length not specified; maximum RV height 13 ft.; maximum length of two- or three-vehicle combination 70 ft. Riding in truck campers allowed; in fifth-wheels allowed but not recommended. Overnight parking in rest areas permitted unless posted otherwise. All towed vehicles must stop at ports of entry. RV Safety Requirements: Chains or snow tires required when posted. Trailers over 3,000 lbs.: trailer brakes and breakaway switch. Driving Laws: At least two riders for carpool lane. Firearms may be transported loaded or unloaded anywhere in a vehicle except on one’s person. More Information: Colorado State Patrol, 700 Kipling St., Suite 2000, Denver CO 80215; (303) 239-4540. Emergency number: 911; *CSP or *277 on cellular phones.

Colorado Code 15 and 16 address Passenger Vehicle Traction & Chain Laws

If weather conditions require, CDOT can implement Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws. Motorists will be alerted to an active Traction or Chain Law by highway signage, COtrip.org or GovDelivery notifications — to sign up for GovDelivery emails and/or text notifications, click here .

Traction Law (Code 15)
During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle — all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

Find out if your tires meet the minimum one-eighth inch tread requirement by taking the Quarter Test.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, also known as a Code 16 — this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed. During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Fines
Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law could be fined more than $130.

If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.

end quote

Happy to realize one more advantage to my upgrade to Michelin LTX M/S tires.

Safe Travels,
Joe
Old 10-19-2016, 07:11 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado

Louie De must have meant if running ST tires which are not rated for winter use or authorized under winter alert conditions. Otherwise there is no way!!! I would most certainly not drive in winter conditions with GYMS their like skates on ice. I am excited to see how the Nokians work over the Michelins. Well maybe I'll be spared the Christmas snow drive this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
BTW I called the CO State Patrol today and they told me that RVs need not carry chains under any conditions.

I also asked why in the world the close the express lane eastwards most every day, they don't have an answer, for me makes no sense, it will alleviate traffic and provide revenue. My last questions was, what if I use it when it indicates 'closed'? He said a pic of my infraction will generate a traffic ticket to me. I replied, I guess you have a collection of my pics. He laughted. I did use that 'closed' lane often, no ticket so far. Shhhh keep it a secret! LOL
Old 10-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
When not really needed it becomes the emergency stoping lane in case of breakdown or minor accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I live in CO, and I know I70 well. Do you have the ability to sit out bad weather? Between storms the road is well cleared and you could sneak through. If you have a tight schedule you have to maintain, the weather gods will punish you.
Most of China
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Vitaver, if I am reading you right, why do you feel it is appropriate to use a "Closed" express lane, unless in an emergency to avoid a collision and so forth?

Your recent post does not indicate any exigent circumstances which would justify ignoring a posted traffic control sign IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:25 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
Hi Joe,

I am not trying to ignore you. I am in Arizona for the winter so to be specific, factual & accurate I have reached out to a law enforcement friend to get a CO statute to share. F Y I, my background is a PH.D. in Highway safety / Police Administration, 32 years with US DOT. So, believe me I am not trying to BS you. From my experience an officer has the authority to make a judgement call to stop a vehicle & remove it from the road if conditions of either the vehicle or roadway is unsafe.
I will try my best after being retired for 10 years to get factutal info on the response & not just offer an opinion. Let's hope I can help. Lou
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you Lou, that seems correct. If an officer had spotted the rig which rolled over in Quebec [with the large cargo carrier on the rear of the AS], and the rig going fast in Idaho recently, serious accidents might have been avoided.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter
Old 10-20-2016, 11:38 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks, Lou.
I have no doubt that an officer would have the latitude to stop for obviously unsafe equipment or driving behavior. I just want to be clear on laws regarding weather conditions and trailering. Plz update us if you find additional info.

Safe Travels,
Joe
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #54
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Good insights, Louie De.

For most of us, we hope there is also such a thing as common sense when it comes to driving high mountain roads in winter.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:07 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan

It's not something I would do by choice. If you have to, there are a lot of road condition reports available. Keep in mind that skiers are crazy. They pray for storms and endure the hazards and 8 hour backups on I70 to get a few turns on virgin flakes. I did that for about 25 years until I turned 50 and became "vincible".

They also spread gravel on the roads for the storms. I've lost several windshields over the years. Some diesel turbocharged jacked up 4x4 or jackass in a semi will have to blow by you like you are tied to a post kicking up stones and a ground blizzard that will blind you. Good chance you will see him and some unfortunate victims on the side of the road or on the news later.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Vitaver, if I am reading you right, why do you feel it is appropriate to use a "Closed" express lane, unless in an emergency to avoid a collision and so forth?

Your recent post does not indicate any exigent circumstances which would justify ignoring a posted traffic control sign IMO.

Thanks,

Peter
Well, good point. Now, when the express lane is enabled for traffic, where do cars stop for emergencies? At the shoulder. Same if there are 2 or 1 lane/s working. Why would they chose to stop on the leftmost lane instead? That is a perfectly good lane, the best of all 3. To keep it close capriciously (I enquirer about the reasons for it's closing to both the expressway authority and the state troppers) makes no sense to me, of course YMMV but that is me. It is paid for by all of us, we endured lane closures for its construction, there is traffic in the two working lanes while that one is almost 'begging' to be used, empty, beautiful, clean. BTW, there is no Law prohibiting its use, just whatever somebody who probably does not drive I70 E, a busybody probably, decided is 'best' for the rest of us. Not my style. I respect yours though.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Sure the road with ice, snow, climbs, etc. Is unsafe. Less safe that a road in 'normal' conditions. Safer to stay home I guess. If my main driver is safety that is what I would do. I guess that is why they have menus in restaurants: not everyone likes the same or makes the same choices. BTW, some of the best things that happened in my life involved a certain amount of risk. Some call it adventure, pushing the limits, taking chances, etc. I like it . I am not being antagonistic, just being clear, evading is not my sport. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitaver View Post
Well, good point.
. . .
To keep it close[d] capriciously . . . makes no sense to me,
. . .
So every motorist has the right to decide for him or her self whether each posted traffic sign does or does not make sense, based on their own perception of things?

Why have signs then?

Taking risks is great, but you are not alone when you are on a public highway. We the motoring public are right there with you.

Thus, for us, your risk-taking becomes an involuntary imposed risk, up with which each of us must put! [apologies to Winston Churchill]

On a mountain, out in the open ocean, take your risks with abandon.

On the road next to my family and loved ones? No thank you . . .

Old 10-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Have you driven I70 East back to Denver on days the express lane is closed? If so, have you seen any vehicle parked/stoped there? I drove it some 40 times, as I live in Silverthorne and my daughter in Denver. Never anything was stopped there. Again, like elsewhere the emergency, chain, rest, etc. Stops are in the right shoulder.

Experience appears to indicate that it is safe to use it. My logic tells me the same. Yes, I reserve my right to follow every regulation out there and ignore the silly ones while I accept to pay the consequences of my actions. Twice in as many decades I have been stopped for going over the speed limit (20 mph in Silverthorne, 65 mph on the I70 approach to Silverthorne), I don't even attempt silly excuses, I admit and accept. Both times I got polite warnings. Both times I called the cop's supervisor to congratulate them on the professionalism and politeness of the officers.

To keep a perfectly good lane closed to traffic when it can alleviate congestion is silly and I chose to ignore silly rules. To each its own, this is how I roll. I don't impose my thinking on others and for sure I don't welcome the reverse. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:41 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Well, at least you have provided written evidence that your disregard of the rules is intentional at times. Hope this attitude does not cross over to towing in snow and so forth.

Stay safe.