Old 10-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #15
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Vitaver
Thank you, we did winterize our AS by following the procedures for both methods: blowing compressed air (got a compressor), emptying the water heater tank, removing the filter under the sink and replacing it with the straight pipe, and pouring some 8 gallons of RV antifreeze (the pink stuff) into the fresh water tank, the traps under sinks and shower, and draining the tanks. Of course, we have to drain the RV antifreeze in preparation for the trip, and again fill it up with fresh water while keeping the furnace going on propane (topped off bottles) so we can actually live on it. Makes sense? Again, thank you!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
One more thing that hasn't been mentioned...MagCloride.

In the winter, in the mountains & foothills it's on the roads. MagCloride wreaks havoc on aluminum & clearcoat. It will get in any breaches in your clearcoat and corrode the aluminum. We don't take our trailer out in the winter months...

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Park City , Utah
I live in the mountains and concur with all those recommending caution... Telluride city park campground (dry camp only) closed for the season on Oct 10th. Try Ouray or Montrose... Safe travels.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:42 PM   #18

2009 27' FB International
Waterbury , Vermont
winterdriving pulling airstream

I have lived in snow country for the past 45 years and would notpull an airstream under possible bad road winter conditions. I have pulled a 7000lb trailer on snow and ice roads and would NEVER do it again. It scars the S--- out of you fwhen suddenly the trailer is next to you and you cant do anything about it. Good luck. Stay safe and dont do it!!!!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Agree with all the above, don't try it and don't press your luck. Even if the roads look clear, there is always black ice on the north facing corners, never melts.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:07 PM   #20
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
All of the above points are well taken and valid.

I grew up in Eastern Canada driving in snow and ice all the time and I am confident driving in that environment, however - with a trailer its a different story.

Heading south to Mexico in January I had to drive over Grants Pass in Oregon/ I-5. DOT cameras showed wet pavement with some snow, so we broke camp and hit the road. Driving up the pass was not a problem, my 4x4 Ram handled that easily enough. Going down hill - that was something else!

If I braked, my trailer's wheels locked and it would skid to one side or the other trying to over run me; If I eased off the brake controller, the trailer would try to go faster than me in my truck increasing my speed; If I geared down, with and without brakes on the trailer I was still on the edge of losing control... It was like having a monster on my back end pushing me faster than I wanted to go.

How fast was I going? All of 35 mph and less on a road that was not snow covered, just a bit icy and greasy from a recent 2" snow fall.

I managed the swerving trailer and the brake-pedal-gear-shift dance until at last the highway flattened out however it was no fun at all and I wont do it again! For me - no mountain passes in winter period. Its not worth the stress.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
I strongly advise against towing on snow and ice. It's much safer to just park until the roads are cleared. Also, in my opinion, if chains are required, continuing on is just foolhardy.

See link to description of our close-call, winter-driving experience:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1358880

Best wishes for safe travels!
Old 10-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #22
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Anyone negotiated I70 in CO in Winter (and would do it again?)

Hi all, newbies here, considering an itinerary Silverthorne to Aspen, Grand Junction and Tellurida in January, pulling a FC27 with a four wheel drive LR4. Got excellent advise from many on very good reasons why not to attempt it. Before we delete this itinerary from our calendar, is there anyone who made that or similar journey and would do it again?

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
The Rockies extend southward into New Mexico, and there's lots to see and do in New Mexico, Arizona and California. Also, mountainous areas of southern Colorado (e.g., Durango) are driveable after road crews clear the highways. I just think that you will be discouraged by poor towing conditions and lack of camping facilities in towns noted for their ski areas, because that's where the most snow is.

If you post the kinds of attractions that interest you, members will be able to suggest alternate destinations in the southwest that you may find just as enjoyable, without having to drive on snow and ice, or worry about your pipes freezing.

I don't think anyone wants to discourage you from visiting this popular area, which draws many winter visitors every year.

By the way, I-70 is a major east-west corridor; and snow plows are out at the first snow flake. However, this highway can sometimes close until the road crews can catch up with the snowfall.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:59 PM   #24
LifeIsShort

2013 22' FB Sport
Winter Park , Colorado
Discretion is the better part of valor. You have received valuable input from many experienced drivers, some who live in the mountains and have driven in them for years. I am part of that crowd, living at 9000'. Vail Pass is 10,600'. The Eisenhower Tunnel is 11,000'--the highest point on the U.S. Interstate system. My camper is sleeping until next spring. Heed the advise and go lower, sooner than later.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #25
2016 FC 27FB -truck TBA-

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hi all and thank you. Answering the question, our second (and soon to be primary) residence is in Silverthorne where we are now with our trailer just outside our garage. We enjoy skiing and the destinations (Vail, Aspen and Telluride) for the trip afoot are meant to be precisely so we stay a few days at each, and ski with our AS as our home.

BTW, have not gotten any feedback about successful, happy and repeatable negotiation of these roads in winter, so the balance is tilting heavily into 'don't do it' territory. While some of the best things in my life happened by accident and the most intensive experiences (9 months across Africa in Land Rover, Solo-sailing the Atlantic for a week each offshore passage plus other journeys I rather don't tell) went against common sense. Then again, I am not 50 anymore... Thank you all and glad to be amongst you.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #26
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Our motto is, if the chances of something going wrong are small, but the consequences of something going wrong are huge, take the precautions.

We were in an accident with Bambi I on dry pavement in summer. We were OK, but within inches of getting killed. Bambi I got wrecked. Then we needed more nerves of steel to deal with all of the insurance appraiser's and adjuster's questions and foot-dragging for several months before the insurance finally paid out.

People always think they'll be the lucky ones who avoid the likely hazards. But you might not be. Is it really worth it to you to take the risk, knowing what the consequences could be if you had an accident on icy roads or blizzard conditions?

Hey, the reason there are ski resorts up your way is because it snows all the time.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:37 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2007 19' Bambi
Midland , Texas
I would not.

We travel from TX to CO a lot, all different times of the year. And we pull our AS with an LR3.

We do not take AS west of I-25, mid-fall to mid-spring, ever. Your Landie will make it, but if the AS starts to slide, the Landie is going with it. We normally (99% of the time) enter CO via the OK panhandle and avoid Raton Pass even in good conditions.

I know the beauty and magnetism of the Rockies in winter, but we leave the AS behind in winter. Just not worth the risk. I get into enough trouble pushing the Land Rover past my bride's limits.

Safe travels.
racoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:08 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Let us all know how it goes and indeed I hope luck is on your side. I have my own snow towing & winter living stories (and extra gray hairs as a result) but I'll keep them to myself other than to say that my Airstream is now winterized and parked safely within sight of my home office until at least late March 2017. Towing and camping in bitter cold weather and in snow conditions is simply not fun but, like you, I just had to try it. And yes, it can be done but it is not ideal because the Airstream, like most towables, is built for fair weather use. In the end my snow and winter experiences did not embolden me to make winter camping plans in the future, in fact quite the opposite. One thing to do before you go - consider an alternative interior heating method. Power goes out - especially in winter months, converters die (this did happen to us on a 12 degree F night) and "things happen". The trailer gets cold pretty fast and is to ambient temp within 6-8 hours or so. We got a Camco catalytic heater and had an LP extension hose added to feed it. It does not require electricity to run and will heat a good sized trailer quite well. It does require a slightly cracked-open window or exhaust vent to be open to run properly. The other thing to consider is ensuring your TV is prepared for winter travel and being parked for several days in potentially sub-zero temps. Rules of thumb: neither is ideal but ice is far worse than packed snow to drive on, consider wind conditions if it is going to snow while you are driving - if snowfall is "only 1" - 2"" it may not sound bad but wind can make it impossible to see and they will shut down I-70 in a heartbeat for poor visibility. When you get to the snow take some time in a parking lot with the trailer and try different maneuvers on the snow to get a feel for brakes and turns.