Old 03-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
Rot-Roo Rastro!!
2000 30' Limited
Austin , Texas
No response to SW Colorado?

Okay, anyone know of any nice places to stay in the Crested Butt Area. Of Colorado that is.
Thank you,

Astro & the humans I train Barry&Andrea
2000 Airstream Limited 30' ~ Silversled
2005 Ford Powerstroke, 4X4, Crew Cab
AIR #12075
silversled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Del Norte , Colorado
Originally Posted by silversled
Thank you, we have reservations at Tiger Run for 3 days and on the way back have looked at the Durango/Pagosa Springs area. Anyone know of a nice place to stay at in that area? Thank you so much for the information. We can not wait to do this full time..
Pagosa Springs has a lot of RV Parks, most of them are closed for the winter season, but I'm sure there a few open all year. We drove over to Pagosa for lunch Saturday and I noticed that there is a new RV park that looked very ,very nice, it is just north of the 'Y' on the east side of town that had a couple of morotcoaches in it,.. You might Google and make a few calls?

I think Pagosa is one of the top senic places in CO.
Wolf Creek Pass is a treat. very scenic.

nymphfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Yep, there are bunches of them in Pagosa. The one we like the best is actually the one out on the east (north?) side of town, Elk Meadows. It's quiet. However, we're thinking about trying the one that's directly across the street from the springs themselves; after all, the only reason we stop in Pagosa is to go soak the muscles in the hot waters! (I much prefer the springs at Pagosa to those in Glenwood, but I guess that's debatable.)

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Originally Posted by silversled
Colorado RV sites? If you had 9 days and left austin texas in the heat of the 4th of July weekend... Where would be a nice place to stay in Colorado.. Which route would you take. And Please give us some guidance. This will be a first vacation with our Airstream. We have had it since easter and are looking forward to this Mountain trip. We have been told of some place called Maroon bells? I think it was a aggie making fun of us being in Austin?
Please give us your suggestions.
Thank you
Colorado is a very diverse state. If you want the mountains up where I live in Summit county is very nice. I like Heaton Bay on Lake Dillon, it offers a few hook up sites, but mostly dry camp sites. If you want to see a lot of wildlife go to Rocky Mountain national park. There are a lot of nice campgrounds in the area, and 3 dry campgrounds in the park. Pagosa Springs is very nice, and much less crowded. Anywhere you want for the 4th. of July time frame will require reservations, so I'd make up my mind as soon as possible.
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #19
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
We've been everywhere in Colorado over the years. Our favorite destination is the South Fork and Creede areas. Consider staying at the Southfork Campground on the Rio Grande or at Wagon Wheel Gap as directed by the poster in post #5. It may be listed as the Blue Spruce Lodge and Campground. From either of these places, it is only a few miles into Creede and over to Lake City or over to Pagosa Springs and Williams Creek. It doesn't get any better.

With no more time than you will have, I think you are pushing it to travel all the way up to Tiger Run and then all the way back down to Pagosa Springs. Going up to Tiger Run, you will be on I-25 all the way with the mountains off to your right, but you won't be in them. From Tiger Run, its a long way back down I-25 to Colorado 149 at Walsenburg and then over both LaVita Pass and Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa Springs. If I were you, I'd skip Tiger Run altogether.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Pagosa Springs to Breckenridge

A different, more direct route from Pagosa Springs to Breckenridge is Colo. Rte 160 East from Pagosa to Del Notre, Rte. 112 NE from Del Norte to Center, Rte 285 north from Center to Fairplay, then Rte 9 north from Fairplay to Breckenridge. You can do that one way in a easy day.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
near Crested Butte

Did some really nice camping along the Taylor River. I then took a dirt road over Kebler pass no problem with my Sovereign.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #22
1971 27' Overlander
Pumpkintown , South Carolina
Can't let this one go without a plug for my hometown: Salida, CO. Don't be misled by what you find on hwy 285 or 50 -- that's just the commercial strip of which we're rightly ashamed. Head toward downton on the Arkansas River for the real part. Good bars (I recommend the Victoria), lots of art, and amusing, colorful locals. Just about any place in Chaffee County elicits comments like "Oh my Gawd, why doesn't everyone live here"? I know next to nothing about RV sites there, backcountry sort that I am, except that there are a lot of 'em -- maybe enough that they're not all full on the 4th. Four miles north of Maysville (honk when you pass the old Yellow House) on CR 240 is Angel of Shavano campground. No hookups, far as I know. If you have an ATV or stout 4-wheel-drive, you can go, sans trailer, to the top of that road annd visit my old mining cabin above Billings Lake at 12,000'.

From Salida, you could go north toward Leadville for mining lore or south for ashrams in Crestone. A half-day hike from any of those places will get you to wilderness areas, and another half-day puts you on top of 14,000' peaks.

July is "monsoon" season in all of the Colorado High Country, so be prepared for rain or snow each afternoon, with accompanying shorts-soiling lightning. Mid-September is the absolute best time to visit. Check Colorado Central magazine (Colorado Central Monthly Magazine Home Page) for more information.

It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
Foureagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
We stay at the Last Resort RV Park just south of Pagosa Springs on 84. It is a small park on the Rio Blanco River. The owners are wonderful people and are our best friends in Colorado. Many things to do and see in that area. The River is nice for swimming, very clean. I have seen a lot of nice size fish come out of that river Browns and Rainbows. Usually on the 4th weekend there is a very good themed pot luck. Pagosa has a great 4th of july parade.
Check out their website The Last Resort RV Park & Campground

pm me if you need more info.

WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote