Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Colorado in mid-late September

We are making our way to Albuquerque for the balloon fest from Jackson Hole in the second half of September. Towing a 27 FB. Am I crazy to plan a drive through the mountains so late in the year? It seems that a lot of the parks with camping are closed after Labor day.

The other option is to go around through Utah, etc. Plan on stopping at Dinosaur, Colorado National Monument, Great Sand Dunes, the whole Ouray/Durango area. Suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We have camped in Colorado in just about every month of the year, including the dead of winter. There are campgrounds available just not in the higher elevations. What would your route be through Colorado? Might be able to suggest a couple
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
FYI/ I host a free WBCCI dry camping rally at my property in Estancia NM for the Estancia Punkinfest. It is the 3rd weekend in October and about a week after the Baloon Fiesta. They have various contraptions launching pumpkins a carnival and a parade. About an hour from Albuquerque.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Should have no problem finding an open RV park in Colorado. The tourist business lasts later than Labor Day. The problem is finding an open site. More of an issue East along the I25 corridor than on the West side of the state.

Jackson Hole - we passed through last year about that time. It was 23 degrees on the Southern side of Yellowstone the night we left that area. Traveled down to I80 and dropped into CO West of I25. Had problems finding a site, so we headed East on I70 and stopped in Limon.

We stopped in Southern CO on our return trip about three weeks later. Saw some snow flurys at elevation, but no bad road conditions.

The 550 is quite tight as you get South out of Ouray toward Silverton. It's called the Million$ Highway because of the views, but it's not for folks who have a problem with steep drop offs. We towed our 23, others have towed larger and semis do make the trip. Just be aware what it's like and keep your eyes open. We almost collected a Harley who cut the corner into our lane on a switch back.

In Eastern Utah 191 heads South out of Moab if you do not have plans in CO. Stop at Mesa Verde if you have not visited that NP. No services at the majority of the park sites, but there are several commercial parks close at hand. We like the KOA. You can drop down into NM from 160.

The easy way to do all this is I80-I25-South and over to Albuquerque. It's more fun to explore CO and Northern NM.

There are several folks who live in the area and will provide you better info. It should be a good trip and you will enjoy the BF. The Caravan comes into the area by way of Gallup about three/four days before the BF starts. We were lucky enough to spend the night with them at the USA RV park. That was unique and not to be expected.

Good Luck on your trip. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
We have camped in Colorado in just about every month of the year, including the dead of winter. There are campgrounds available just not in the higher elevations. What would your route be through Colorado? Might be able to suggest a couple
I am thinking South RT 50 to RT 550 including the Million Dollar Highway. Then Rt 160 through Pagosa Springs to Great Sand Dunes NP then drop south through Taos.

My other option is to stay west and come into Durango after Moab then do some day trips to Silverton/Million Dollar HW.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you need a recommended place in the Denver metro, check into Chatfield State Park.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Try Trinidad Lake State Park. Some sites are open year round, and mid-September would probably still be warm. Hwy 12 west to Cuchara and around to Walsenburg is pretty.
SnooMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
If you are near Mesa Verde National Park (west of Durango), stop by and see it. It is a very interesting and beautiful spot. The cliff dwellings are amazing! Lots of campgrounds in and around the park, and it will not be too hot at that time of year.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Some of our best trips have been in mid-late September through that area.

yes, some of the USFS campgrounds may be closed, but there are several that are open until weather closes them, also other commercial options.

For example: the Ouray KOA is open and is fairly nice; the Alpen Rose RV Park is close to Durango and is open until October 31st.

The road between Ouray and Durango is spectacular and is in good condition. You do have to take it slow and not let the drop offs intimidate you. As with any highway, just stay in your lane.

I used to live in Durango, and the highway is described as follows:

Why is It Called the Million Dollar Highway?
The road was originally created by Otto Mears as a toll way in 1883 and operated as such until the 1920s when it was rebuilt. Historians aren't certain of why this highway has its name. One explanation is that an early traveler was so overcome by vertigo on the steep and winding stretch of road that he insisted he would never travel it again, even if he was paid a million dollars.

If you want to avoid the passes between Ouray and Durango yet still get the high mountain experience, you can go through Lake City and Creed, South Fork then hear into NM from Alamosa. Very scenic drive.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
We go to Colorado every year in September to visit family on the western slope. We try to head home no later than the first week of October. I have driven the Million Dollar Highway many times not towing. I'm not sure I would want too. As stated I have seen 18 wheelers using this route.
I generally use Lizard Head Pass between Cortez and Telluride when coming up from the South. There is one section that can be icy during snow conditions. At least it now has a guard rail to keep you from going over the cliff.
Another vote for Mesa Verde National Park. They have a full hookup campground in the Park. Bears can be a little pesky at times. There are also commercial RV parks in nearby towns.
We love Colorado in September. The fall colors in the high country is spectacular. This is the high country. So be prepared for any kind of weather.
Have a great trip!
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
We stay in The Highlanders RV park in Lake City each September. Love it
Old 07-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Colorado in mid-late September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdream99 View Post
We are making our way to Albuquerque for the balloon fest from Jackson Hole in the second half of September. Towing a 27 FB. Am I crazy to plan a drive through the mountains so late in the year? It seems that a lot of the parks with camping are closed after Labor day.

The other option is to go around through Utah, etc. Plan on stopping at Dinosaur, Colorado National Monument, Great Sand Dunes, the whole Ouray/Durango area. Suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks,

No, not at all crazy, but do be prepared for potential winter weather. Example: We towed over Wolf Creek Pass (Hwy 160, 10,856’ elev.) on June 22, 2019 in an absolute blizzard - really dense snow blowing horizontally. I did the entire ascent and decent at 25 mph with flashers on.

I suggest good M&S tires (even on the Airstream), tire chains (unless you have 4WD), and an independent emergency heater (Mr. Heater type). Tow strap, snow shovel, air compressor, battery jumper etc.. all stay in an Action Packer in my truck year round.

I don’t mean to frighten anyone, but being prepared is good. We’ve lived in Durango for 10 yrs and use our Airstream in all seasons.

The CG’s at Dino, CNM and GSD are each very nice. Closing dates may vary, just check the websites.

We’ll be at Balloon Fiesta as well. Look for a FC23 named Jalan Jalan if you’d like to chat about our area.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote