Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I went back and reviewed my Owners Manual about running the propane and furnace while traveling. They worded in such a way that it doesn't say no, but it doesn't say to go ahead and do it. They just day some roads and states it is not permitted.

Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
This is our 14th year of winter driving from Wyoming south. I always fill the water tank the day before we leave as part of checking out all systems. There's always something that needs attention. Then I set the furnace thermostat to 50 and leave the furnace on till I leave. It burns about a gallon of propane a day doing this. I put the fridge on auto and forget it. I don't drive with the furnace on, but stop at mid day and turn it on while lunching. I always find electricity each evening till I get way south and don't need the furnace all night. That's the only hookup I need as I already have water on board and the holding tanks start out empty. I've been thru temperatures as low as 5 above during these trips and been snowed in along the way several times.

Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The only problem with not running the furnace when it's really cold outside when traveling is that some plastics may crack when the trailer hits bumps in the road.
I had that problem years ago with an older Airstream that had plastic end caps and some other plastic parts inside that showed signs of stress cracks after a trip in cold weather. After that, I always run with the furnace set at 50 in cold weather while on the road.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #18
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've done the winterize, de-winterize, and re-winterize thing for late winter/early spring travel, as well. De-winterizing is easy, and you can find any local RV service center "down South" to blow out the pipes for the return trip north. We don't like taking unnecessary risks of frozen pipes, and find camping in a winterized trailer somewhat inconvenient, but certainly manageable.

Not to be contrary, but we *never* travel with our propane on. For the fridge, in hot weather, we use those frozen blue gel cold packs and tuck them in the fridge when driving; then re-freeze them at night. The fridge is really well insulated, so this system serves us well. In cold weather, we've never had food freeze in the fridge due to outside temperatures (vs. too cold a setting in the fridge thermostat.)

There is some risk of fire/explosion with driving with the propane on, should you get into an accident. Nobody plans to have an accident, but they can happen so fast and in ways you cannot control. Once in Montana we nearly hit a moose running across the highway. Bambi the First got smacked by a falling utility pole (broken off when a car ahead of us hit it) that landed inches away from the propane tanks.

Our worries about winter travel have more to do with road and weather conditions, including road salt.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote