Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Cold Weather

In the first part of November I will be pulling my FC from Iowa to Portland OR. Plan to follow I 90 getting to Portland before Thanksgiving. Returning mid-December following a southern route down the coast and across New Mexico working back towards Iowa . Question is how cold will it have to be before I get concerned with water freeze ing etc. Can I leave furnace on as I travel. I plan to take winterizing gear with me for emergency cold. Thanks in advance always great advice here.
lkm4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We live just north of I-90 (Idaho,) take that route fairly often through Washington and Montana, and would probably winterize. This means no on-board fresh water, but you can do a manual toilet flush with a water jug & some antifreeze, or put water down your sink, w/ same. (Windshield washer fluid qualifies as antifreeze.) With a winterized AS, we take a lot of water bottles.

You might be absolutely fine most of the time without this precaution, but you do have some serious mountain passes to go over on your northern route (like Lookout Pass in Idaho,) and even in New Mexico. Winter comes early to the high country.

If you are stationary for a while in Portland it's quick and easy enough to get your water back and functioning again. We're not do-it-yourselfers, so we tend to get the winterizing done at an RV service center, but if you have your own means of blowing out the pipes, you can probably winterize on a more ad hoc basis.

We did drive once with the furnace on during a cold snap (April in Utah) but prefer not to.

You could easily encounter a snowstorm in the mountains in Nov.-Dec. Even with beefy snow tires, it's best to wait it out somewhere safe. Some stretches of highway are not plowed as promptly as one would like.

Had you thought of taking I-80 to I-84 on your way west? You do have to cross the mountains of Colorado, but I-84 is a much lower route in elevation, with fewer passes to contend with.

I've noticed that we tend to be more cautious than most folks on this forum, however.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote