Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

OXO makes a nice pot too...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06372.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	268840  
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We spend six months in the trailer, and then six months on a sailboat. So this subject comes up with us quite a bit. We've bought, and discarded, several coffee pots. We've bought and then given away four different models of French Press. I tried the Melitta 10 cup carafe with the filter cone, but that didn't work out too well.

BUT the little single cup serving Melitta filter cones that use the #2 filters has done the trick. Doesn't matter how you get the water hot. gas, electric, solar, campfire, etc. And you can tailor the coffee for the individual cup. For example, I like two level scoops and the Mrs. likes three. No problem when you make each cup to order. These are much much faster than the 10 cup cone thing was.

Problems with the French Presses are that they take up room. They're mostly glass. They have a number of parts. And mainly, they take a lot of water to clean and we have to watch our water consumption.

A personal preference is that I like coffee that's been run through a paper filter a lot more than unfiltered coffee. But that's just a side thing of mine.

The little Melitta filter cones have no glass, no parts to clean, take up very little room, and cost something like five bucks apiece. I'll be taking two more back to the boat with me in October. And giving away the ten cup Melitta carafe.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
I like coffee, and drink a lot of it. The best coffee we make is with well water from our mountain cabin. No chlorine or other chemicals. We usually use Costco 100% Columbian, Folgers 100% Columbian, or Maxwell House 100% Columbian. They will all make a fine cup in our percolator, or when off grid through a Melitta cone filter. Inexpensive, and mighty fine coffee.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream - Other
Port Orchard , Washington
I use my old 8 cup camping percolator with my favorite coffee. Just had to learn how much coffee to use. A little experimenting and now coffee maker and stove top percolator make very close to same flavor.
I do put the coffee into a thermos when it is done.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #25
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
I love my AeroPress as it can make from one to three cups of coffee in about a minute. There is a large following of AeroPress aficionados and they even hold world championships. If you like really good coffee at home or on the road, I would recommend this system.

I grind my own beans (dark roast) with a burr grinder and use about 16 grams per cup. At home I use an electric grinder, but on the road I have an Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill that I adjust to the grind I want (slightly finer than drip).

You press the water through the coffee and a filter and it is concentrated. You can drink the pressed coffee like an espresso or add hot milk for a latte or hot water for an Americano. After pressing you discard the grounds by pressing them out into the garbage, and you can re-use the filter many times.

In the morning, I usually press two doses for my wife and I into an Ikea 2 cup measuring cup and then add hot water to make the desired strength and then decant into pre-warmed mugs. If doing one cup for myself I can press it directly into a mug or into a thermos. Sometimes I will refrigerate the concentrate and use it for iced coffee later in the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeropress-4.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	268844

Tip: I have found that if my coffee gets cold, placing the cup in boiling water is a great way for re-warming it when off-grid. It doesn't change the taste of the coffee like a microwave does.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
There are a lot of threads about coffee - but coffee is delicious and another one can't hurt

We have over the years, tried a bunch of things including a beautiful stainelss double walled french press but it was a hassle to clean - especially when water tanks are already often taxed.

We finally settled on this GSI silicon pourover that takes #4 filters and packs flat. Perfect and easy to clean - just throwaway the used filter and rinse.

13 bucks @ REI

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we use a high quality french press. it is the best option we could find.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
[QUOTE=Rpatrick16;1832709]Missoula Montana has the best coffee period! However when I sit in the comforts of my home with my high end coffee machine life is good. When I'm hooked up to my "genny" or "shore power"...my little electric drip coffee maker is good. But when I'm overnighting and none of those devices are available what's the consensus?

So "community" what's the best device when all you've got is "hot water" and "ground beans"? I've tried "french presses" there ok but are there better devices out there?

Thanks for your participation.

I'm a coffee snob too I'll be taking my Baby Gaggia with me when going to a hookup site & when I get a generator will be a permanent fixture ! Otherwise, Pour over is the rage at hipster coffee shops ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 11:18 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Cool Kis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Missoula Montana has the best coffee period! However when I sit in the comforts of my home with my high end coffee machine life is good. When I'm hooked up to my "genny" or "shore power"...my little electric drip coffee maker is good. But when I'm overnighting and none of those devices are available what's the consensus?

So "community" what's the best device when all you've got is "hot water" and "ground beans"? I've tried "french presses" there ok but are there better devices out there?

Pat
You are using it. Do what I do. Boil your water in a sauce pan on the gas stove and pour it directly into the fresh coffee filter basket into the coffee carafe. We have found it tastes better. You do need a coffee maker that will allow you to do that, ie. some coffee machines isolate the coffee basket from the machine but with ours the lid at the top accesses the coffee basket which leads directly to the coffee carafe. Caution Safety first ,you are dealing with boiling water.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Problems with the French Presses are that they take up room. They're mostly glass. They have a number of parts. And mainly, they take a lot of water to clean and we have to watch our water consumption.
We bought the Bodum Columbia stainless-steel press.
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1308-16/

I won't solve the space issue, it does take up space, but it's metal and I find it very easy to clean up, but then I just take a give it a firm jerk and 90% of the grinds come out, a simple wipe with a paper towel or dish rag gets the remaining grinds out without using a lot of water.

I think I spent too much time in the field when I was in the Marines... we boiled water, tossed in the grinds, scraped what we could off the top and tried to not get too many grinds in our cup... cowboy coffee as we used to call it.

I love coffee and find the french press better than most methods for camping, we did the percolator for a while, but I just find french press coffee much better overall.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
A very personal decision. We like French press but when dry camping go with melita for the clean up issue as Gringo stated. I like the idea of the silicone collapsible one!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Montana Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpatrick16 View Post
Missoula Montana has the best coffee period! However when I sit in the comforts of my home with my high end coffee machine life is good. When I'm hooked up to my "genny" or "shore power"...my little electric drip coffee maker is good. But when I'm overnighting and none of those devices are available what's the consensus?

Pat
We prefer percolated coffee (stainless steel pot) over drip, pods, or French press! We also experiment a bit on coffee brands-- here in Lincoln and on the road we enjoy the Big Sky Organic from Costco. When I can get it, we really like the Casi Cielo from Starbucks or Greenwell Farms Kona, Peaberry... For percolators, course ground is best. In the AS we have both an electric 10 cup and a 10 cup stove-top percolator, but we typically only make 8 cups for the 2 of us. Prefer the electric perk, but sometimes we use the stove top when boon docking depending on power situation. Important to set the grind correct for the percolators, especially the stove top percolator. If the grind is too fine, it clogs the filter, and will boil over we have found. For best results on stove top percolator for 8 cups, set 10 min timer after the "perk" starts; adjust to low heat works best. Nothing like a great cup of joe in the AS to start the day!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
I love coffee. But I cannot drink it. I get instant stomach pains and throw up.

My kids are coffee snobs. After reading a lot of threads on this board...For Christmas this past year for he and his fiancé I bought them a roaster, a grinder and a French Press. And a 5 pound bag of green coffee beans from Tanzania. It was the highest rated green coffee bean (at that time) on Amazon. They loved it. Absolutely loved it. They thought they would have years worth of coffee. Well they've already run out and asked me where I got the beans. Since then another bean was higher rated and I sent them the link. They like that one even more. Wish I could drink it with them.
Getaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Another vote for a Mellita pour over. It's all I take in the airstream. At home I have a Technivorm mocha master, which is basically a electric automatic Mellita. I roast my own beans but sometimes resort to Peets.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:43 PM   #35
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
10 cup, stove top percolator is all we carry.

Maggie

What she said. We love our 30+ year-old stove top stainless steel percolator. If you do it right, the coffee from that baby is astonishingly good. Doesn't take much time or attention, just don't burn it or perc it too long.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we use a 6 cup stainless steel stove top peculator. It actually makes about 3 cups, or 1 1/2 cups each for the two of us. We used Kivu French Vanilla, but recently switched to Duncan Donuts French Vanilla coffee.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Our coffee is espresso based. We used to have a Mr Coffee espresso maker, but bought a moka pot to take on the road. Once we tasted coffee from the moka pot, Mr Coffee got the pink slip. We use the moka pot on the stove top at home and on the road.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Minneapolis , Minnesota
If I don't have access to hot water or I don't have easy access to fire I do a cold brew (Toddy) method in a large mason jar. Very easy. 8 cups or so water per 1 cup coffee grounds. leave for 24 hours or so. Strain. Drink. Love.

Otherwise I do a press pot AKA French press of coffee. It's my favorite.
fairtheewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:10 PM   #39
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Ruta Maya coffee, roasted in San Antonio, from Chiapas Mex, medium roast. Best coffee I have ever tasted. It's so good you'll want to chew up the beans and pour hot water into your mouth.....
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

We have a nice stainless steel French press that matches our airstream. In my experience French press is the way to go. The more coffee or the longer you let it steep the better. Great way to start the morning. Double walled and keeps coffee hot.
ras.robshort is offline   Reply With Quote