Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 AM   #15
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
10 cup, stove top percolator is all we carry.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Melitta 5 cup with a tea kettle to heat the water. The Melitta rides in a roof locker in the box it came in. So far, the glass has survived.

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2015 22' FB Sport
Toronto , Ontario
Aeropress all the way. Excellent cup of coffee; light weight / Unbreakable for transport; easy to clean; excellent cup of coffee.
stsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum Rpatrick16!

FYI this earlier thread has over 100 posts on the subject of coffee makers, brewing techniques, etc.:

and the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum contains many similar interesting threads on a variety of cooking topics:

including Cast Iron and Fire Cooking, Dutch Oven, and Best Grill topics:

With space limited in our FC20, we keep it simple with a teapot to boil water, and brown paper filters in a Melitta drip cone, using the best quality coffee beans, freshly ground. This approach also permits making coffee early in the morning, outside the trailer, using an Iwatani single 15,000 BTU butane burner on the campsite table, with 1/2 and 1/2 etc. from the back-up cooler in the tow vehicle.

Happy Trails!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
Thanks to all who helped me. I used my French press when moto camping but as others commented I didn't like the sludge on the bottom.
The little electric coffee maker works well when on shore power,the Ginny, or the 1000 watt inverter. However we are getting ready for our first multi week road trip and we needed something to use for quick overnights or rest stops.
So this is what I ended up with.
The collapsible GSA drip basket from REI. Makes 1-12 cups, uses #4 filters and folds to less than an inch. Several of you all mentioned it. Now I looking for a small tea kettle.
Thanks again for all the help. Should you see a 22FB Sport stopped along the road with the name "Milley" over a Shamrock stop buy and I'll fix you all a cup of coffee.

Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Not the smallest one made by Revere, but the closed loop handle is easier to use than the 6-cup version IMO. Very durable and fairly light weight. Reliable whistle function which is a must on the road.

Happy Trails!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #21

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

OXO makes a nice pot too...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06372.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	268840  
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
one of those
2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
We spend six months in the trailer, and then six months on a sailboat. So this subject comes up with us quite a bit. We've bought, and discarded, several coffee pots. We've bought and then given away four different models of French Press. I tried the Melitta 10 cup carafe with the filter cone, but that didn't work out too well.

BUT the little single cup serving Melitta filter cones that use the #2 filters has done the trick. Doesn't matter how you get the water hot. gas, electric, solar, campfire, etc. And you can tailor the coffee for the individual cup. For example, I like two level scoops and the Mrs. likes three. No problem when you make each cup to order. These are much much faster than the 10 cup cone thing was.

Problems with the French Presses are that they take up room. They're mostly glass. They have a number of parts. And mainly, they take a lot of water to clean and we have to watch our water consumption.

A personal preference is that I like coffee that's been run through a paper filter a lot more than unfiltered coffee. But that's just a side thing of mine.

The little Melitta filter cones have no glass, no parts to clean, take up very little room, and cost something like five bucks apiece. I'll be taking two more back to the boat with me in October. And giving away the ten cup Melitta carafe.
A Blog from the Devil's Triangle
Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I like coffee, and drink a lot of it. The best coffee we make is with well water from our mountain cabin. No chlorine or other chemicals. We usually use Costco 100% Columbian, Folgers 100% Columbian, or Maxwell House 100% Columbian. They will all make a fine cup in our percolator, or when off grid through a Melitta cone filter. Inexpensive, and mighty fine coffee.
Don and Lou----Don posting
'06 Safari 25 LS
'97 Chevy Suburban K2500 Diesel
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it is a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member
2004 22' International CCD
Port Orchard , Washington
I use my old 8 cup camping percolator with my favorite coffee. Just had to learn how much coffee to use. A little experimenting and now coffee maker and stove top percolator make very close to same flavor.
I do put the coffee into a thermos when it is done.
inthralled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Toronto , Ontario
I love my AeroPress as it can make from one to three cups of coffee in about a minute. There is a large following of AeroPress aficionados and they even hold world championships. If you like really good coffee at home or on the road, I would recommend this system.

I grind my own beans (dark roast) with a burr grinder and use about 16 grams per cup. At home I use an electric grinder, but on the road I have an Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill that I adjust to the grind I want (slightly finer than drip).

You press the water through the coffee and a filter and it is concentrated. You can drink the pressed coffee like an espresso or add hot milk for a latte or hot water for an Americano. After pressing you discard the grounds by pressing them out into the garbage, and you can re-use the filter many times.

In the morning, I usually press two doses for my wife and I into an Ikea 2 cup measuring cup and then add hot water to make the desired strength and then decant into pre-warmed mugs. If doing one cup for myself I can press it directly into a mug or into a thermos. Sometimes I will refrigerate the concentrate and use it for iced coffee later in the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	aeropress-4.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	268844

Tip: I have found that if my coffee gets cold, placing the cup in boiling water is a great way for re-warming it when off-grid. It doesn't change the taste of the coffee like a microwave does.
Ray and Vida
Toronto ON Canada
- - - - - - - - - - - -
2017 Sport 22FB; WBCCI #6497
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
There are a lot of threads about coffee - but coffee is delicious and another one can't hurt

We have over the years, tried a bunch of things including a beautiful stainelss double walled french press but it was a hassle to clean - especially when water tanks are already often taxed.

We finally settled on this GSI silicon pourover that takes #4 filters and packs flat. Perfect and easy to clean - just throwaway the used filter and rinse.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we use a high quality french press. it is the best option we could find.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:55 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
[QUOTE=Rpatrick16;1832709]Missoula Montana has the best coffee period! However when I sit in the comforts of my home with my high end coffee machine life is good. When I'm hooked up to my "genny" or "shore power" little electric drip coffee maker is good. But when I'm overnighting and none of those devices are available what's the consensus?

So "community" what's the best device when all you've got is "hot water" and "ground beans"? I've tried "french presses" there ok but are there better devices out there?

Thanks for your participation.

I'm a coffee snob too I'll be taking my Baby Gaggia with me when going to a hookup site & when I get a generator will be a permanent fixture ! Otherwise, Pour over is the rage at hipster coffee shops ..

nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote