Old 02-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Cobb BBQ

I looked all over for a decent small BBQ to take with us on our 4-6 week excursion next month. Seems like the Cobb BBQ was an ideal setup for a camper so we bought one. Anyone else have one of these units and if so, any suggestions or experiences you could share. Thanks-

Pap

Cobb Portable Grill Store - Cobb Premier Portable Grill and Tabletop Cooking System

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Looks real nice. For $139 did it include the accesories?

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I have one of these for my boat and was thinking about figuring out some sort of mount for the trailer this summer. If all else fails it has a stand. works really well.

Sorry if I don't have the URL paste down right yet.

BabyBoomers

MAGMA PRODUCTS Magma Marine Kettle 2 Gas Grills at West Marine
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
fair oaks , California
I bet they could sell thousands of Cobb BBQs if they just changed the name to Airstream BBQ.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Boomers, you said you have one but do you like it and does it live up to it's claims ???? I like what I saw also but sometimes we find we are disappointed after trying it out for awhile. Some time ago I read on this forum about a grill that looked good. More expensive but looked great. I think they were made in Canada and I couldn't find any source here in the US or in Canada to find our more. I forget the name but they worked on a couple of chunks of hardwood. Small pieces like cabinetry leftovers. It had a small firebox with a battery blower that acted like a turbocharger and turned it into a blast furnace. It really looked to be good but unfortunately I could never find one to get a better look at. Like I said though they were quite a bit more expensive too. I think it was in the cooking section of this forum. Could probably find more about it with some searching but not much point if they are no longer available.

Anyway, compact cookers are a good thing when travelling and this one looked good.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Fuil-Timers

2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Pap,
Very cool! The image shows only eight or ten coals doing the cooking. I like it, and reminds me of the charcoal lighter I had, chimney style with crumpled paper under charcoal and coals light quickly.

We use Olympian 4000, bigger and propane. Yours looks much nicer to use.

regards, Jim http://dreamstreamr.com

Jim Cocke,
International President
WBCCI Wally Byam Airstream Club
dreamstreamr.com
dreamstreamr.wordpress.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hey Boomers, you said you have one but do you like it and does it live up to it's claims ???? I like what I saw also but sometimes we find we are disappointed after trying it out for awhile. Some time ago I read on this forum about a grill that looked good. More expensive but looked great. I think they were made in Canada and I couldn't find any source here in the US or in Canada to find our more. I forget the name but they worked on a couple of chunks of hardwood. Small pieces like cabinetry leftovers. It had a small firebox with a battery blower that acted like a turbocharger and turned it into a blast furnace. It really looked to be good but unfortunately I could never find one to get a better look at. Like I said though they were quite a bit more expensive too. I think it was in the cooking section of this forum. Could probably find more about it with some searching but not much point if they are no longer available.

Anyway, compact cookers are a good thing when travelling and this one looked good.
Yeah, It works great on the boat. I mount it and swing it out over the water and let whatever might drip, drip in the water. Mine is an older model that doesn't have the push button ignition, just a match light. It cooks great burgers, chicken, steak etc. Cleans up easy with the pressure washer and the polishes up easy with some never dull from Wally World. Would buy another.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We've had a Cobb for a couple of years, and have used it off and on when camping...

It seems to work best for roasting a chicken, or stuff you're not in a big hurry for - you have to plan ahead - about 20 mins to get the briquettes up to temp, then about an hour for a whole chicken...but it does do the job...

It's a compact unit, and we have several of the pans for it, wok, grille, fry pan, etc..

It takes quite a while to cook a pound of bacon - not it's forte...scrambled eggs are doable, but again take a bit of time...

It does flapjacks OK, if you get it warmed up fully before starting...

It is easy on fuel usage - about ten will get you a good 1/2 hour's cooking time - add a few more as you go to keep it up to temp...

I see Cobb is now offering an 'expansion' ring to raise up the top cover to give it more room inside for larger roasts, etc...you can use it on any table top, as the lower portion of the unit remains cool as is shown in their ads - you can pick it up by touching the lower, outside screen area with bare hands to move it...clever design...

I've used it for steaks, but again, that's not one of it's strong points, as you loose so much heat without the cover in place when grilling steaks, and the temp then gets to low to carry on till you're done...

It works best for meals that would require the cover in place to retain and circulate heat inside the cooking area...and for smaller meals - if you're cooking for more than 2 or 3 people, you'll something larger...

The Cobb is a neat unit, and has it's place, (if you are limited for storage space) but we mostly use our 'suitcase' (from Lowes, $80) type propane BBQ as it heats up rapidly and keeps the heat coming for grilling steaks, hot dogs, hamburgers, roasts, etc...

Hope that helps...
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I have one and can smoke a whole chicken in about 1.2 hrs,...amazing!!

I love mine!!

SHane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I bought one, tried it out once so far cooked a steak.. it took much longer than the my lil Weber. I agree with the others I think that if i were cooking a whole chicken or something that needed a longer cooking time & covered it would work great. Love the fact it uses so few coals however cleaning that moat took quite a bit of water and effort..dont know how that would work out if you were boondockn. I might put foil in my moat so i can just throw out the foil and do a wipedown. The nice thing bout the Weber u just let the throw out the coals when finished and go. The Cobb you need to clean it up before you can pack it up and put it back in the bag. Ooh the carrying bag thats cool! It is compact..guess Ill try a pork roast next time.
LilNomad
Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Purchased one last summer. It made the best tasteing brisket ever. It does take longer to cook, but remember it is smoking it as well. Be sure to get the wire grill to place over the heating plate. We also purchased to cookbook which was a big help.

The minus: it is a PITA to clean, unless you just want to allow it to build up a "patina".

But the taste is remarkable! It will be in the AS when we take off this spring.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Corn on the Cobb...and more.

Ok, here is my Cobb story. I was graciously allowed to take my not-so-vintage Airstream to the BC Tin Can Tourist rally last year, and one of the guests I invited to the open house suggested I get the Cobb. A bit pricey, but I'm a traditionalist when it comes to camp bbq'ing, so the fact it was charcoal and not gas a plus, although the deciding factor was it's versatility and AS looks.
One of the cool features is the "moat", which can be filled with beer when roasting a chicken...mmmm! You can use this as a smoker. AS you can see from the picture, I wanted steak, my wife some local sockeye salmon, and the kids wanted chicken. No problem. I have also made pizza, pancakes, and even cinnamon buns. Ok, maybe they weren't from scratch (think giggling dough-boy with big belly and goofy scarf), but they were tasty around the campfire. I did experience the "not enough heat-slow cook times" thing mentioned, so here is my hot (pun intended) tip for you with the Cobb...Do not use only the match light briquettes, they burn up too quickly. I pack a zip-lock with a bunch of the match lights, but will place about 4 of these on the bottom, then put normal briquettes on top. The heat from the easy lights will ignite the regular ones, and these will burn hotter and longer. No need for smelly lighter fluid, no need to add briquettes half way through the chicken roast. My pancakes rocked the campsite once I figured this out. My steaks cooked fast, and pizza got a little burnt, but still edible for a hungry boy with Dutch genes, like me. Yes, it does take a little bit to clean, but I'm ok to do this. Think of it like an Airstream....it costs a bit more and it requires a bit of love and care, but it works as advertised and looks really, really cool!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	122023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0912.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	122025  

Name:	IMG_0900.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	122026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	122027  

Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #13
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Message to the guys.

Guys, true story.
I opened the Cobb box and after reading the included pamphlet, I look over at my wife and say,"It says here you can bake bread on this thing." She responds with "If you can make me fresh bread on a bbq, you might just get a special treat from me."

2.5 seconds later I'm on my way to local grocery store to purchase some kind...any kind...of bread dough. And pans...oh crap...I need pans.

Hurry back to the campsite, she's taking a nap (rest well my Sweetie)

I figure out the bread mix thing and letting dough rise the best I can considering I'm a guy (no offense to bakers out there), and voila...by the time she awakes, FRESH BAKED BREAD!

Bazinga!

She kept her promise. So the rest of my evening went something like this....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	122028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0749.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	122029  

Name:	IMG_0750.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	122030  
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've had my Cobb for several years. It is the type with a black plastic base. I like it a lot. The cleaning is a bit of a bear. I've smoked fish, cooked fajitas, and last time I had it out I did shish-kabobs of flank steak marinated in a korean BBQ sauce - so yummy! I agree you need to be patient when cooking, but it gets the job done. I use chunk charcoal and a firestarter. I think for us it is perfect because we only cook for two anyway, and it always seemed like a waste to fire up the big grill. I like that the base stays cool and I don't have to worry about the dogs sticking their nose against it. And of course its tiny size fits our tiny trailer (but we use it at home more than while camping).

I would like to get more pans for it but they always seem kind of expensive for what they are. I get by just fine with the grill pan it came with. I like that it's non-stick and cleans up easy.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote