Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
I've used our Cobb for three years now and thought that I would pass along a tip that I think makes clean-up very easy. There is a product made by Dawn called Power Dissolver. Comes in a blue bottle and I usually can find it at WalMart. Just spray it on, let it set a bit, then wipe well with paper towels (saves water) before washing.

Debbie

Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
We have only used our Cobb 3 times, so far I am not that impressed with it. The coals do not seem to stay hot long enough to cook with and the clean up is a PIA.

Gary

Old 04-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
as a Texan who is fixing to ('fixing to'; the ability and intention to take action) take delivery of his first AS, I was wondering if all y'all had a favorite outside/portable grill or bbq that you can recommend, if not the Cobb? Here on the hill I do all outside cooking on the Weber charcoal with the propane lighter. Bubba burgers, four minutes, flip, cover with jalapenos. four minutes, cover with cheese and close the vents for one minute....that sounds compatible with a Cobb.

It seems to me that a lot of the comments about the Cobb design might be from people accustomed to cooking on an open type grill, no lid. Classic July 4th television commercial kind of thing. cubic foot of charcoal glowing cherry red?

It's not rocket surgery, but looks to me like that Cobb design depends upon conserving the heat from just a little fuel. Opening it up is going to be a setback. Any wind at all is going to steal that heat, then it has to build it back up from the meager fuel supply.

I don't have a Cobb, yet. I was looking hard at their marine kit and stainless version for boat use. So I am also very interested in the thoughts of people who actually are using them and are happy with them.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
As mentioned in my post above...we mostly use the SS 'suitcase' propane BBQ as our main 'flame'...

Shop Master Forge Liquid Propane Tabletop Grill at Lowes.com

We bought it before the Cobb, and it continues to serve faithfully... We paid about $20 more than it's current price of $80, and now with 'spark' ignition, a great deal IMHO...!

We mostly use the Cobb when we're out in the boonies for some snacks, baking bread, etc...it's a well engineered product and has it's place in our list of camping equipment...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #19
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Nice looking grill, but that's only propane, right? I'm actually looking for something to grill meat, using charcoal. I was just reading about all the fire restrictions in Texas, and it's looking like outside fires are pretty much banned, but I want a way to cook meats safely. I don't mind propane for heating water, or making coffee, or cooking things in pans. But not for directly cooking meat.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
No the Cobb is only charcoal and is not set up for propane. I used my Cobb quite a bit during our 5 week trip and found it to work somewhat slower than I expected, but the smoker and end results were fantastic. I would recommend it if you don't mind not having the "instant" heat one expects from a gas BBQ.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #21
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
The Cobb is not for grilling. If you bought it for so,..you will be dissapointed. I bought mine as a portable smoker. We love smoked meats from brisket to ribs to whole chickens. Works great. Now don't get me wrong....it's not a slow smoker in any sense of the word. It will add smoked flavoring to your meat. It's like a mini Oven. If you put a chicken in a Oven..will take about the same time. If I were to put a chicken in my HOME smoker..welll thats WHOLE nother animal.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hey Ray, that's a nice lookin grill. Might be interested in one. where to you store it during transport ???? Will it fit into one of the side compartments ??????

I'll have to make a trip to Lowe's and look into it .

Thanks,

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
The Cobb, even with all of the accessories, fits into their carry bag and slides with ease into the rear compartment of our 30' Classic. That's where I keep mine.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
polarlyse...I found one of those plastic 'tubs' to stow the Lowes 'suitcase' BBQ... Here's the kind I use: 24 Gallon Rubbermaid® ActionPacker® Storage Container 26.06" L x 16.94" W x 18.56" H | U.S. Plastic Corp. I think I got it at Wal-Mart...

I also have one of these two burner stoves from Harbor Freight that fits on top of the BBQ in the same tub... Dual Burner Propane Stove

The Propane hoses, fire starters, etc also fit into the tub...

I use a small 1 gallon (4.25 #) propane tank for the BBQ & stove, similar to this one... Shop Outdoor Living : Grills & Outdoor Cooking : Grill Accessories at Lowes.com

I like to do lots of outdoor cooking when we're camped in the hills or in the boonies...the aroma of pepper or maple bacon emanating from our campsite is irresistible in the morning - get's the crew up and moving!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
My thinking is falling in line with Ray's. I think the small propane stove and a Cobb together might work out. That little Harbor Freight two burner looks just perfect. Then I have all the bases covered, and can do all the cooking outside.

And we don't mind waiting for a chicken or ribs to cook slowly. I come from the land of the overnight brisket.

How many rum punches would you think it would take to cook a chicken in the Cobb?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
My thinking is falling in line with Ray's. I think the small propane stove and a Cobb together might work out. That little Harbor Freight two burner looks just perfect. Then I have all the bases covered, and can do all the cooking outside.

And we don't mind waiting for a chicken or ribs to cook slowly. I come from the land of the overnight brisket.

[How many rum punches would you think it would take to cook a chicken in the Cobb?
]
If you dont lose count, You didnt have enough. Sal.

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote