Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2002, 05:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
May I say?

Dr Joe,
Thanks for the wonderful report abt your experiences~!

I'll have to look them up on the web..Not sure how much we can plan them in our travels but, it sounds like it's well worth it..

ciao
Attached Images

53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 06:07 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Camp Ground Memberships

Winner, you are a winner. I couldn't have said it better. That's the way to go. As you have read I really tried to make a go of it, and suppored both CC & RPI and my membership. Obviously , if the system was so use full why have they make it so difficult to get out of it???? If I added up the true coast of this experience, I probably paid $50/ night for the privilage, not to mention the aggravation.
Went to Hammond, La on the way to Texas, and tried to get into a CC park there. That park had a special area for CC members, once that was filled, too bad. Go elseware, even if the Park was empty!!! Where? It turned out to be a dump campground nearby because it was late and I had to stop. Why do they do this?? Because their members don't want some guy from Campground, anywhere parked next to them!!! That's their campground. What happened to that reciprocal aggreement???? They don't give a crapping, gee! I learned a new word. Tom
Old 10-29-2002, 07:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question curious

What about your 'homeport'? Surely you must be able to use it with no problem??
I gotta tell you that, most of the places that I've visited were "glad" to see the business..(Money)
I know something about "dump"..stayed at one KOA in Mo this past summer that, was the worst place ever..Spider webs all over the place,,I felt like I'd dropped into a 'movie set' for some horror picture...lol
Turns out that this place was for sale and, the owner wasn't too keen on spending any money to keep it up. (it happens)
Again, I'm sorry that your membership hasn't worked out to your advantage.
Seeing as how close you are, maybe we can get you to come down to the campground in Sandbridge, Va. sometime? I've posted pictures of it on another URL..If you like, I can email it to you for your edification.
In any event, keep smiling~
ciao
Attached Images

53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:45 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thumbs down Campground Memberships

Flying Cloud, how's that ? Nothing wrong with my Home Park it was clean and well maintained,didn't like dogs though. I paid $650 to join and the dues were $150/ year, OK. That membership was designed for non-residents of Utah. [I live in NJ, where we crab a lot] CC was supposed to pick up the slack during your travels. I thought that I had a choice of many other parks that were just as good. I did use some occasionally. Those parks are now history! None in NJ anymore: never in Vermont, etc. So I started looking for alternate camps; and found many great City,State and Federal Parks as Joe stated. Ever been to the Colorado National Monument, or the Nazchas Trace [a beautiful place] After all the incidents stated above I just didn't want to be bothered anymore! I didn't want to be glued to CC or RPI which are almost duplicates of each other, and there whimsical rules and restrictions! Why should I pay that and pay again because I couldn't use CC parks. Finally got discused and looked at the BYLAWS for the procedure to sell the membership! Thought I was in Hell!! It looks like there are a lot of CC parks but they are few and far between. What happened to CC is exactly what happed to TT. Want to read about the Alliance?? Greed killed what perhaps may have been a good thing, sometime. Don't get me started. Anyway enjoy and smile. Nice discussion. Tom
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #25

Bronson , Kansas
I'm currently in the same boat with coast to coast resorts. Life has changed for me and after 23 years in the military, I thought coast to coast resorts was the best thing, but I haven't used it once! I can't get out of it and no one really cares, except where's my money. I'm so stupid!
DumbGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have read this whole thread, and I feel very badly for you. The only thing that I can suggest is to talk to an attorney. I don't know if you can even give it away to somebody that might want it warts and all.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbGirl View Post
I'm currently in the same boat with coast to coast resorts. Life has changed for me and after 23 years in the military, I thought coast to coast resorts was the best thing, but I haven't used it once! I can't get out of it and no one really cares, except where's my money. I'm so stupid!
Have you looked into the Army's MWR Path Across America and the Air Force's campsite. Many of them are quite good and others from what I have heard are so so
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Smile CCC Campgrounds and other lies.

Sold my 1971 Airstream and about broke even. Needed just too much time and work to keep it as it should be. Now I own a Truck Camper that I can fit in my garage. Perfect. Dog loves it,wife hates. I'm a lonely boy! Oh well, such is life for this 75 year old recluse. After reading the prior posts I see that the CCC campgrounds and Membership parks are still up to their old tricks: fraud and deception. ( Just like time shares) So, I didn't miss anything. Private campgrounds are getting expensive so they can shove them. Why in the world would anyone want them if they are self contained? Isn't that what camping is all about? Self reliance? Especially Airstreamers! I get a kick out of those 45 ft Class A's with two airconditioners parked next to my wreck. Same air, same park... OK it makes them happy.$$$ No, I'll stick to my rest stops and flying J's. I'm self reliant with no allegiance to anyone... free as a bird. Isn't that what camping is all about? Stay away from Membership parks unless you like to be dangled on a string. King of the road.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Bookedmarked MWR. As a vet how can I get in on it? What do I need as a Korean war Vet?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #30
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by niftypkg View Post
Bookedmarked MWR. As a vet how can I get in on it? What do I need as a Korean war Vet?
Not sure if you can get in just as a vet...

I live near, and have camped at Camp Carlson at FT. Knox.. This is the first line of the website for Camp Carlson..

"Serving all Active Duty Military, Retired Military, National Guard, Reserves, DoD Civilians, and their Families."

I don't know if all the MWR sites are the same.. but assume so.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Thanks Dad, Thought I would like to broden the possibilities of camping alternatives. No real extended trips in the making. In Az location makes the difference. Little shade at 110 degrees in Phoenix so one must plan good weather camping. Can't see paying 30 bucks at Cave Creek CG in Athem, Az. when I have stayed at **** hotels for $50!!! Yes 50 in the off season and camp at their pool. Day trips work OK.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Times, they are a changin'. We full timed from 88-94. Belonged to Thousand Trails/NACO, CCC, and RPI and had a wonderful time. We never rented by the month, stayed one or two weeks at each stop and did the tourist thing. We took a full year to "do" the east coast and could have used another year. There were very few times we had any problem getting a site and we were treated well everywhere we went. After a while you learn of parks that aren't welcoming to CCCor RPI guests and you avoid them. We bought our TT/NACO membership for $4,000 and our annual dues were $260 (frozen), what a deal! Life was great and we met many nice folks, some of which are still alive and we are still in touch.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 10:05 AM   #33
ATC(AW) retired

2024 28' International
Leonardtown , Maryland
Travel Resorts of America...Any gouge?

Hi, AS friends. Maybe I missed it in the sales onslaught when we bought, but Travel Resorts of America is 'giving' 23 days of free camping as a promotion. Apparently the days are non-consecutive (that's cool), with the first 3 days/2 nights in Gettysburg PA. In order to hold the site, they need $99 refundable.

Looking to avoid a disaster if someone on the forums experienced such! Or maybe it's a great offer?

Papa told me, "there's no free lunch."

Feedback mucho appreciate.

goatlocker.
goatlocker is offline   Reply With Quote