Old 01-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post

Imagine that happening when you were going through the Mexican border, or when you were passing a Presidential limo in Washington ?????????????
We'd still be trying to straighten that out with the authorities!

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I was able to capture this image on my ARC that is activated with the brake electrical circuit
Hi...not to get off topic, but could you please expand on this comment? I'd love to have a video camera mounted on the rearview mirror facing out the windshield so it can see what I can see, then I'd have a button that can save what I saw over the last 30 seconds or something. I'm curious how you caught this picture.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Hi...not to get off topic, but could you please expand on this comment? I'd love to have a video camera mounted on the rearview mirror facing out the windshield so it can see what I can see, then I'd have a button that can save what I saw over the last 30 seconds or something. I'm curious how you caught this picture.

ARC - - Airstream Road Camera

This is simple enough to do, but it took me a bit of time for planning and more time to fabricate the camera holder to work with what I had.

Theory - - I wanted some type of backup to witness any accident that might happen.
Plan - - Researched all video options, but the storage and power options were hard to satisfy and involved more equipment, dollar$ and maintenance than I wanted.
Result - - My BH had abandoned an HP C500 camera that was extremely hard on the small capacity of 3 batteries. It would lock up after about 10 pictures.
I tend to keep stuff for ever, so I was trying to come up with an idea to use this camera.
The camera could be powered externally and worked great when testing on AC power.
I then purchased a "stop idle solenoid" off eBay that looked like it would work.(need push style rather than pull)
I then fabricated an aluminum camera retainer to mount on the upper right side of center ws post. This holds the camera and the solenoid, and allows the camera to pivot so to have access to the SD card.
I had already installed a third battery bank up front in the Clipper to run the other electronics through an added 1000w inverter.(I have since downgraded this to 400W as the 1000W was overkill for the demand.
I hardwired the camera to the inverter, and the solenoid to the brake light circuit.
Result - - Over 10000 pictures on our cross Canada and back thru mid America 10550 miles in 60 days in 2009. (averages about a picture a mile) When approaching a town or info sign, I just tap the brake and capture a picture. Makes it easy to pinpoint later if looking for something specific.
I have 10 SD cards, but generally use only 2. I like to download the card twice a day to the laptop while travelling, so that I can tag the images for later reference.
I'll try to load some pictures.
You can see the camera mounted thru the WS in the frontal shot of my images if you go there.
As you can see, it is hidden behind the TV so is not in the sight line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2963.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	119525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	119526  

Name:	IMG_2874.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	119527  
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Arc

Some random pictures from the ARC.
Local pics of Nanaimo, Cameron Lake off the highway, and Atlantic Ocean on the east coast of Cape Breton Nova Scotia, when I pulled into a tight pull off so the BH could have a smoke. After that excitment she needed one.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EX000029.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	119531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM008832.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	119532  

Name:	IM008925.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	119533   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC 09 18 2009 0 029.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	119534  

Old 01-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Just a thought, but would one of those "trail cams" that they use for hunting work ?
There is one advertised that is supose to record for a month and canbe accesed through ones computer. $$$ ??
Old 01-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Trail Camera

Don't know what quality it would be? What powers it? You are going to need constant power. I believe they are motion activated which probably would not work behing the glass.
Maybe some of the photo keen members could answer these questions.
Dave
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Relied on GPS (EmmyLou) to get us from the Smokies to Breaks Interstate Campground on the VA/KY border.

1st adventure:
GPS told us to turn down a paved county road to get to the CG entrance. The further we traveled, the narrower the road got until we reached the end of the road where the sign on the gate indicated that this was an overflow CG, not the main CG. Exciting times trying to turn the long wheel based truck and the trailer around but we did it.

2nd adventure (same trip after getting back to main VA highway.
GPS told us to turn down another paved road to get to the main CG. Again the road got narrower and narrower and eventually delivered us to a hairpin turn to the left where the truck and trailer seemed to be each facing in opposite directions. Added to that, the elevation rose probably 15 feet from the time we entered the turn to it's exit. Scared to death I was going to snap a driveshaft under the load.

Did get around the bend. WWHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEWWWWWWWWWw !!!
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:

ARC - - Airstream Road Camera

This is simple enough to do, but it took me a bit of time for planning and more time to fabricate the camera holder to work with what I had.

Theory - - I wanted some type of backup to witness any accident that might happen.
Plan - - Researched all video options, but the storage and power options were hard to satisfy and involved more equipment, dollar$ and maintenance than I wanted.
Result - - My BH had abandoned an HP C500 camera that was extremely hard on the small capacity of 3 batteries. It would lock up after about 10 pictures.
I tend to keep stuff for ever, so I was trying to come up with an idea to use this camera.
The camera could be powered externally and worked great when testing on AC power.
I then purchased a "stop idle solenoid" off eBay that looked like it would work.(need push style rather than pull)
I then fabricated an aluminum camera retainer to mount on the upper right side of center ws post. This holds the camera and the solenoid, and allows the camera to pivot so to have access to the SD card.
I had already installed a third battery bank up front in the Clipper to run the other electronics through an added 1000w inverter.(I have since downgraded this to 400W as the 1000W was overkill for the demand.
I hardwired the camera to the inverter, and the solenoid to the brake light circuit.
Result - - Over 10000 pictures on our cross Canada and back thru mid America 10550 miles in 60 days in 2009. (averages about a picture a mile) When approaching a town or info sign, I just tap the brake and capture a picture. Makes it easy to pinpoint later if looking for something specific.
I have 10 SD cards, but generally use only 2. I like to download the card twice a day to the laptop while travelling, so that I can tag the images for later reference.
I'll try to load some pictures.
You can see the camera mounted thru the WS in the frontal shot of my images if you go there.
As you can see, it is hidden behind the TV so is not in the sight line.
Fascinating. I'll have to give this some thought. Like you, the evidence in case of an accident would be great; I was in an accident a couple months ago with my B190 after a guy stopped on the road at the end of a curve...of course, he claimed he was completely out of the lane. A picture (or even better, video) of the incident would've been nice. Thanks.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Arc

The problem with video is that if you have good quality, the storage capacity gets used up very quickly. If you don't have the quality, you don't even get the street name signs. Although good for witness purpose's, others would be reluctant to view much of the video. I attached a lengthy video that I found interesting, but, when you get to the road footage at the end, the focas is not comparable to a good digital camera.
I use my ARC snaps for a screen saver on my computer at home and get continued enjoyment from my trip inve$tment.

Look at Bob's post above and the quality of his digital camera. No guess as to what the name or number is on that unit.

We are a bit off the intent of this thead. There must be more good stories to be told? Why wait on the campfire?????????

Dave

Thanks to Andy for posting the followning on another thread. Nice show!
Airstream Classic Motorhome 345 on Vimeo
Old 01-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
The problem with video is that if you have good quality, the storage capacity gets used up very quickly. If you don't have the quality, you don't even get the street name signs. Although good for witness purpose's, others would be reluctant to view much of the video. I attached a lengthy video that I found interesting, but, when you get to the road footage at the end, the focas is not comparable to a good digital camera.
I use my ARC snaps for a screen saver on my computer at home and get continued enjoyment from my trip inve$tment.
Sorry for the continued off-topic-ness - my thought was a DVR-type setup that would be continuously recording to a hard drive, then when you hit a button it just saves the last 30 seconds; otherwise it would be dropped.

Quote:
We are a bit off the intent of this thead. There must be more good stories to be told? Why wait on the campfire?????????
Unfortunately my last close call was actually an accident. After that the "close calls" tended to go by the wayside.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #25
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Your Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Just a thought, but would one of those "trail cams" that they use for hunting work ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
There is one advertised that is supose to record for a month and canbe accesed through ones computer. $$$ ??
Airtandem
Noted you are from Davenport. We did not stop there but I did touch the brake and take a couple pics of your signs. Lots of corn in that country.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ARC 10  13 2009 1 JolietIowa 036.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	119710   Click image for larger version

Name:	ARC 10  13 2009 1 JolietIowa 037.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	119711  

Old 02-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #26
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Video vs Digital Camera

No doubt that video gives the best thrill!

Sorry, again the video did not load. I'll work on it.
Dave
Try it now!

YouTube - What a Roadside Bomb Looks Like
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
A bit off topic - but a facebook friend just posted this pic. I'd say this 5th wheel owner might share this as a close call of sorts.

I'd love to know the story with this. Looks like things in the galley area got pretty hot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5thwheel fire.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	121153  
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
^ I just noticed the name of model/mfg of the trailer.