Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
La Crescent , Minnesota
"Research has shown that deer whistles do not work."
I don't know about the research, but all the anecdotal evidence that I know of points in the other direction.
Less than $5 cost ---5 min to install --Seems prudent.
Jay
mjayjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Monticello , Florida
Well if they would just stop posting those Deer Crossing sign they would not be crossing the highway Duh just couldn't help it. Your very lucky.
07007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Local auto body shops regularly repair deer damaged cars with deer whistles on them. When there are no deer around, they work just fine. Anecdotal evidence of non events do not support the effectiveness of the device. The device is just taking the credit for someone's good luck.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Might (??) work for deer, but how many dogs come running when they hear the whistle?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
One of many articles of interest on Deer Whistles:

How Effective Are Deer Whistles?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Have whistles and got 13 deer head on with my big truck ,with an Ali arc bumper, number 13 did bend it ,got a new one, no whistles, no more deer, never swerve, as you could end up in the ditch and roll your unit, not good
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I ran them on my motorcycles... and fortunately never had a direct encounter. Many friends have hit deer... in cars and motorcycles... some were running the 'whistles'.

One day, riding the Hill Country with a friend who had never ridden the area we saw some 'blood spots' on the highways.. I knew what they were... When we stopped for a break, he said... "What do you guys FEED the DEER to make them EXPLODE like that???" I said, "Fords, Dodge, Chevy pickup trucks!"
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Sebring , Florida
two weeks ago we were on our way home from the Grand Canyon. We were somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico....I noticed a caution sign on the roadside...Horses next 20 miles......didn't think much about it, and I never said anything to my husband about seeing it either.....well, about 5 miles down the road we both saw two horses running towards us on the the drivers side of the road. Still didn't think anything about it, because we saw a fence line.....as we got closer, we realized they were not behind the fence...they were on the road. As we realized what what happening., my husband slammed on the brakes and the horses ran right across the road in front of us. The trailer hung on, and so did we. Ironically about 21 years ago, two of our horses got out on the highway. Unfortunately, our horses did not fare so well. It was a terrible experience....and one we almost visited again, but as the motorist this time. 😔
megandrudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:21 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
I was a frequent driver in rural Wisconsin. Many late hours. The locals said never swerve. You have a greater chance of a miss staying straight and hoping for the deer to swerve. I had several close calls. Stayed true to course and luckily had the deer do the last minute swerve. Wouldn't have helped you experience with the motorcycle. It is a good thing to remember to when pulling your airstream. Swerving for critters can yells more damage
i

I learned, a long time ago driving a semi, pulling a 53 footer, that if you are going to hit something and you have control of your vehicle....keep control and hit it head on.
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 AM   #30
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I had a neighbor that hit a deer on the way to work. Two days later, before he had even reported the first deer hit, he hit another one.
The insurance company hit him up twice on the deductible. Obviously the right thing for them to do, but it frustrated him nun the less.
We have a lot of them around here, but I've never seen as many on the road as the Texas Hill Country. They were quite a bit smaller than our local deer though.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Good advice - keep control of your vehicle. What happens after that is not in your control.
RichP21 is offline   Reply With Quote