Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've basically had it with clip-on mirrors as well. They vibrate,slip, and come off I need to see down the side of the AS in close quarters and when backing.

I'm going with a set of extended mirrors for the TV that replace the OEM ones. They flip up to get wider. Also adds turn signals and heated mirrors because I can...

Rear view camera for the AS once I figure out what I want. Do not like backing up blind, and DW is not that good at hand signals. Someday I'm sure we won't get a pull through site and the the fun begins if daughter is not along... 😗

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #22
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Don't hate me for this long pasted post regarding trailer mirror regulations:

Trailer Mirrors (Click here for Canada)
United States
Alabama
Rearview mirrors required on both sides.

Alaska
Two mirrors are required on a towing vehicle: the left side mirror is required, and 1 mirror may be an interior mirror.

Arizona
Vehicles with trailers that obstruct driver’s rear view must be equipped with mirrors that reflect at least 200 feet of the roadway.

Arkansas
Every motor vehicle which is so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the Driver’s view to the rear thereof from the Driver’s position shall be equipped with a mirror located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

California
A motor vehicle towing a vehicle or trailer must be equipped with mirrors on both the left and right side which provide a view of at least 200 feet of the highway.

Colorado
Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror or mirrors so located as to reflect to the driver a free and unobstructed view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet.

Connecticut
Every motor vehicle used for towing a house trailer must be equipped with a mirror located so as to give the operator a clear reflected view of the highway directly to the rear on a line parallel to the side of the body of the vehicle.

Delaware
All motor vehicles shall be equipped with a mirror placed so that the driver may readily ascertain the presence of any vehicle traveling in the same direction and overtaking the Driver’s vehicle.

District of Columbia
Must see 200 feet to rear.

Florida
Every vehicle operated singly, or when towing any other vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the Driver’s view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle.

Georgia
Every motor vehicle which is so loaded as to obstruct the Driver’s view through the rear of the vehicle must be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Hawaii
N/A.

Idaho
Left- and right-side mirrors are required if a Driver’s view straight to the rear is obstructed.

Illinois
Mirrors must give a view of 200 feet to rear.

Indiana
A motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded in a manner that obstructs the Driver’s rear view must be equipped with a mirror located in place where it is able to reflect the Driver’s view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet.

Iowa
Any motor vehicle towing another vehicle in such manner as to obstruct the view in a rearview mirror located in the Driver’s compartment must be equipped with a side mirror located so that the view to the rear will not be obstructed. When the vehicle is not towing another vehicle, the side mirrors must be retracted or removed.

Kansas
Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror on the left side and an additional mirror mounted either inside the vehicle in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side.

Kentucky
Every motor vehicle which is so loaded as to obstruct the Driver’s view to the rear must be equipped with a mirror so located and adjusted as to reflect a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear.

Louisiana
Every semitrailer or trailer manufactured after December 31, 1972, must be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Maine
A person may not operate a vehicle so constructed, equipped, loaded, or used that the driver is prevented from having a constantly free and unobstructed view of the way immediately to the rear, unless there is attached a mirror or reflector placed and adjusted to afford the driver a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance of at least 200 feet.

Maryland
Where the view through the inside mirror is obstructed, 2 outside rearview mirrors are required.

Massachusetts
Every motor vehicle, including trailers, shall be equipped with at least 1 mirror so placed and adjusted as to afford the operator a clear, reflected view of the highway to the rear and left side of the vehicle.

Michigan
Required.

Minnesota
Every motor vehicle, which is connected with another vehicle so that it obstructs the driver’s rear view, must be equipped with a rearview mirror that enables the driver to see for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the last vehicle being towed.

Mississippi
Every motor vehicle that is loaded and obstructs the driver’s view to the rear shall be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

Missouri
All motor vehicles, which are so constructed or loaded that the operator cannot see the road behind such vehicle by looking back or around the side of such vehicle, shall be equipped with a mirror so adjusted as to reveal the road behind and be visible from the operator’s seat.

Montana
A motor vehicle must be equipped with a mirror that reflects to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the motor vehicle.

Nebraska
No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway when the motor vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent the driver from obtaining a view of the highway to the rear unless such vehicle is equipped with a right-side and a left-side outside mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear.

Nevada
Every truck having a body that obscures a view of the road to the rear shall be equipped with a mirror carried in such a position that the driver of the truck shall be able to see traffic approaching from the rear.

All motor vehicles shall have a mirror so located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

New Hampshire
No person shall drive upon any road any motor vehicle so loaded that the driver is prevented from having a constantly free and unobstructed view of the road immediately in the rear, unless there is attached to the vehicle a mirror or reflector so placed and adjusted as to afford the driver a clear, reflected view of the road in the rear of the vehicle.

New Jersey
No person shall drive a vehicle that is so constructed, loaded, or covered that the driver does not have a clear view of the traffic following and at its sides, unless the vehicle is equipped with a device that will show the road to the rear and side.

New Mexico
Every vehicle must be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway from a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

New York
Every motor vehicle, when driven or operated upon a public highway, shall be equipped with a mirror or other reflecting device so adjusted that the operator of such vehicle shall have a clear and full view of the road and condition of traffic behind the vehicle.

Every motor vehicle when driven or operated on a public highway, that has a model year after 1968, shall be equipped with a side mirror which shall be affixed to the left outside of such vehicle and which shall be adjustable.

North Carolina
Vehicles that have an obstructed view of the rear of the vehicle must place a mirror so that it can reflect the view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

North Dakota
Every vehicle, operated singly or when towing any other vehicle, must have a mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Ohio
A left rearview mirror is required.

Oklahoma
Every motor vehicle towing another vehicle must be equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the roadway for at least 200 feet to the rear.

Oregon
All vehicles must be equipped with mirrors such that the driver has a clear and unobstructed view of the rear at all times and under all conditions of load that will enable the driver to see an approaching vehicle from a distance of not less than 200 feet.

Pennsylvania
Mirrors may extend on each side a maximum of 6 inches beyond the width of the vehicle or load, whichever is greater.

Rhode Island
Every vehicle that is so loaded that it obstructs the driver’s view to the rear, must have a mirror located for the driver so that it reflects a view of the highway for a list 200 feet to the rear.

South Carolina
Every motor vehicle that is constructed or loaded so that the driver’s rear view is obstructed, the driver’s position must be equipped with a rearview mirror that reflects the driver’s view of the highway for at least 200 feet.

South Dakota
Every motor vehicle when towing another vehicle must be equipped with a mirror located so that the driver has a rear view for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Tennessee
Required if vision from inside mirror is obstructed.

Texas
A motor vehicle, including a motor vehicle used to tow another vehicle, must be equipped with a mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

Utah
Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted on the left side of the vehicle and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

Every vehicle shall be equipped with a mirror mounted either inside the vehicle approximately in the center or outside the vehicle on the right side and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the vehicle.

Vermont
Required.

Virginia
Mirrors are required to give view of not less than 200 feet to rear of the vehicle; 1 outside and 1 inside. If inside view is obstructed to rear, then 1 on each side of the vehicle on the outside is required.

Washington
Every motor vehicle must be equipped with mirrors mounted on the left and right side of the vehicle and so located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle.

West Virginia
When a motor vehicle is constructed or loaded in such a way as to obstruct the driver’s view to the rear, mirrors must be equipped on the vehicle to give a view on the rear of at least 200 feet.

Wisconsin
Any vehicle must be equipped with a mirror or mirrors sufficient to reflect to the operator a view of the roadway for a distance of 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Wyoming
Two mirrors are required, 1 on the left-hand side and 1 on the center of the windshield or the right-hand side. If the mirror on the windshield is obstructed, a right-hand mirror is required. It must be positioned to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear of the trailer.

Puerto Rico
Rearview mirrors are required on both sides.

Canada
Alberta
Two side view mirrors are required on a towing vehicle where the rearview is obstructed by a trailer.

British Columbia
Two mirrors required; if trailer obstructs view through inside mirror, then 2 outside mirrors required.

Manitoba
Interior and left exterior mirrors are required when towing loads wider than the towing vehicle. Buses, trucks, and truck tractors require a left and right exterior mirror.

New Brunswick
Must give unobstructed view 60 meters to rear.

Newfoundland and Labrador
The towing vehicle in every combination of motor vehicles must be equipped with 2 mirrors, 1 placed on each side of the motor vehicle to provide the driver with a clear view of the roadway to the rear of the combination of vehicles.

Northwest Territories
No person may operate a vehicle unless it has at least 2 mirrors attached to the vehicle each of which gives the operator a clear view at least 60 meters behind the vehicle.

Nova Scotia
If the rearview mirror in a vehicle is obstructed or interfered with by a trailer or semitrailer attached to the motor vehicle, a rearview mirror must be attached to each side of the motor vehicle and placed so that the driver has a clear rear view for 60 meters on each side.

Nunavut
No person may operate a vehicle unless it has at least 2 mirrors attached to the vehicle each of which gives the operator a clear view at least 60 meters behind the vehicle.

Ontario
Extended mirrors may not extend past 305mm from the side of the tow vehicle.

Prince Edward Island
Every motor vehicle, other than a farm tractor, must be equipped with a mirror located and adjusted to give the driver an unobstructed rear view for at least 60 meters to the rear of the vehicle.

The operator of a towing vehicle which has an exterior accessory rearview mirror which extends beyond the length of a fixed standard mirror, or more than 10 inches beyond the body of the towing vehicle, must remove or fix the exterior accessory rearview mirror so that it is 250 mm or less beyond the body of the towing vehicle when the equipment being towed is disconnected.

Quebec
Where the motor vehicle pulls a trailer, rear view mirrors must be attached so as to enable the driver to have a clear view to the back of the combination of vehicles: (1) 1 rear view mirror attached to the exterior of the motor vehicle on the left side if the existing rear view mirror cannot be used; and (2) another rear view mirror attached to the exterior of the motor vehicle on the right side if the existing interior or exterior rear view mirror on the right side cannot be used.

Saskatchewan
When towing a trailer or another vehicle, the driver of the towing vehicle must have a clear view to the rear of the trailer or the other vehicle. Left and right outside mirrors set to the widest point of the towed vehicle(s) are sufficient.

Yukon
Where the driver’s view of the roadway to the rear of the vehicle is obstructed or interfered with in any manner, a side rear vision mirror must be attached to each side of the motor vehicle and must be placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clear view of the roadway to the rear and to each side of the motor vehicle.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-mirrors/
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Krum, I do not hate you. I just ignore long rambling post.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Not me. But B_Pi's long post covers all the states rules on outside mirrors...I'm taking notes.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:47 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Smith Mountain Lake , Virginia
After going through 3 varieties of clip,strap or suction mirrors, finally sprung for the Aeros from Milenko. They fit easily to my Honda Ridgeline mirrors - only about 1/2 inch lip. They go on in seconds and remove just as fast. Had them for 4 years now and on two cross country trips. Would get them again in a minute.
EscapePod.
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
We have used the aero2 mirrors (milenco) with two tow vehicles, a 2011 Toyota Tundra and now our 2015 BMW X5. On the Tundra, there was plenty of room for the small wedges that you tighten onto the mirror frames to attach them. They didn't come close to touching the mirrors themselves. We had them attached to the bottom of the Tundra mirror frames. On our X5, there is a little less space around the mirror but we have them mounted on top of the mirror frames and there is still room for the power mirrors to move without touching the aero2 clips. Go to Mirrors | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK to see photos and descriptions.
wlanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogboyce View Post
I have Lexus GX460 towing a 25'FB FC. While underway my rear view is limited. Has any one used strap on mirrors with good success? If so what do you recommend?
I have a 2004 4Runner, the Toyota version of the GX460. I've got a set of the Camco mirrors that I've used a few times. I'm not satisfied with them. They vibrate in the wind and shake the car's mirrors. When I adjust them to see down the side of the AS the car's mirrors are almost useless. The Camco mirrors really don't show much anyway, way too narrow. It would be helpful if they were adjustable but they'd probably vibrate even more.

There are no 'slide on' mirrors that fit my 4Runner. Other than the Camco style the only other ones that will probably work are the McKesh mirrors.
McKesh Mirrors

I'm afraid they'd scratch the paint so for the time being, I'm just depending on the car's mirrors. I went to Florida and back and didn't have any issues.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I think it would help if, when you post your mirror recommendation, you also include your TV. There are lots of options out there but my experience has been that there are very few for Toyotas. The OP has a Toyota product and I think the mirrors are similar to mine.

My mirrors have almost no clearance between the mirror and the housing. I don't think the mirror has a lot of support on the back because of this, since the wind cannot reach the mirror. I put a set of Camco mirrors on them, they use suction cups, which work very well if you put them on properly. But they vibrate something terrible. I guess the airflow around each vehicle is different enough so that what works on one TV, doesn't on another.

If anyone has an add-on mirror that works well with a 4Runner or Lexus GX460 I'd love to know about it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-01-2015, 09:13 PM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
See my earlier post #4. They will work well.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
The AAA website and chart that B_Pi posted is extremely helpful. We need to comply with the mirror laws of every state in which we drive, so this is valuable to have for evaluating the suitability of mirrors for compliance.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I have a 2004 4Runner, the Toyota version of the GX460. I've got a set of the Camco mirrors that I've used a few times. I'm not satisfied with them. They vibrate in the wind and shake the car's mirrors. When I adjust them to see down the side of the AS the car's mirrors are almost useless. The Camco mirrors really don't show much anyway, way too narrow. It would be helpful if they were adjustable but they'd probably vibrate even more.

There are no 'slide on' mirrors that fit my 4Runner. Other than the Camco style the only other ones that will probably work are the McKesh mirrors.
McKesh Mirrors

I'm afraid they'd scratch the paint so for the time being, I'm just depending on the car's mirrors. I went to Florida and back and didn't have any issues.

I use the McKesh an they do not scratch the paint.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
seattle , Washington
Thanks for all the response . I will have additional rear view mirrors for my next towing adventure for safety of all, as well as meeting the state regs. Thanks again for the great response.
reddogboyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Richw46 probably had the wisest and best advice.

When making a post about the add on mirrors. First indicate your tow vehicle. I have a 2012 Toyota Tundra. I can look into the side mirror on the driver's side and see infinity. The "safety mirror" on my right makes vehicles on the right side appear to be 200 feet way, but maybe 50 feet.

A shorter tow vehicle would have different views.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I use the McKesh an they do not scratch the paint.
How about the clip that goes in the window edge? Does that deform the rubber edge?

What is your TV make and year?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
See my earlier post #4. They will work well.

Brian
I have a set of the Camco mirrors like you show in your picture. Maybe they work well on a Suburban but they are miserable on the 4Runner. I've tried them in different spots and even with the best spot, the left side vibrates so much above 50 mph it's just pure annoyance. The right side convex has too much bend to be of any use. I can see nearly as much with just the stock mirrors.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Rich, the McKesh does have a clip that goes onto the windows edge. On my F150 there was a slight indentation for a short time but no long term loss of seal to the window that I noticed. No scratching either, however, if the rubber protector that is on the bottom of the support leg gets sand in it you can scratch the paint. Be sure it has a snug fit and if you are still concerned about scratching it put a couple layers of vinyl tape or something like that on the door where the leg support sits. These are great mirrors and again vibration is minimal compared to other models.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #37

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I have a set of the Camco mirrors like you show in your picture. Maybe they work well on a Suburban but they are miserable on the 4Runner. I've tried them in different spots and even with the best spot, the left side vibrates so much above 50 mph it's just pure annoyance. The right side convex has too much bend to be of any use. I can see nearly as much with just the stock mirrors.
They have always worked well for me with over 100,000 miles of using them with the Airstream. I can read the front tag on a passing vehicle. I use two of the flat mirrors. I didn't like the convex version at all.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
They have always worked well for me with over 100,000 miles of using them with the Airstream. I can read the front tag on a passing vehicle. I use two of the flat mirrors. I didn't like the convex version at all.
Brian
I guess every vehicle is different in the way air flows around it. I like the way they are easy on and easy off. The flat one is just impossible for me. I was thinking about getting another of the convex mirrors, the vibration isn't so noticeable. Earthcreeper has some good information on the McKesh mirrors. I've been wanting to try them but the wife doesn't like the way they look on the 4Runner. When the snow melts, if ever (more coming), I'm going to see if there is some way I can add some padding to stabilize the left one.

If you are reading front license tags, I really envy you.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
I use the McKesh mirrors, and they haven't scratched the paint or damaged the window seals on our Dodge pickup. Once I learned to tighten the screws on the mirror adjustment, they've stayed adjusted when I take them off and put them back on--careful handling, but nothing complicated.

I'm still looking for a way to keep the straps from "singing." Foam blocks between the straps and the doors work most of the time, but we still get the moaning sound under certain wind conditions. Does anyone have a better idea?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I used the camco's like Moosetag for a couple of years but had a blind spot. It was an issue of the angle of my Tundras factory mirror that limited the angle I could adjust them not a problem with the mirror. They were fine on my old Tahoe. I next bought a set of LongView mirrors from eTrailer.com and they solved my problems.
They slide over the stock mirrow housing and are custom for different makes of truck. Cured my blind spot problems.
Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote