Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Cleaning on the road

We are getting ready for a 3 week trip ending up at a wedding. I'd like to arrive there clean and spiffy. (The flying cloud - not me. I'll take a shower <smile>)

How do you folks clean your rigs when traveling for an extended period of time?

Thanks for the suggestions! j
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Try the local RV dealers in the area you'll be camping. They might have washing facilities, or a service, or even a mobile service vendor. I just found one for my trailer that way (coming back from a week at the ocean, I really want that salt spray off the trailer and ladders and I have a bad history with on another :-) ).
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Many truck stops have a truck wash as well. I just pull up behind the semis and wait my turn, then ask for "the works" when I get to the head of the line. There aren't a lot of truck washes near me; the closest is a Blue Beacon, so that's what I use the most.

But if you do the same, make sure all of your rooftop vents are closed, and turn off your propane-fueled appliances so the water from the spray wands doesn't get inside your unit or extinuish your propane flames. I put a strip of duct tape over the (cold) furnace exhaust so water doesn't get up inside to cause corrosion, for example.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have the same problem every winter when we head south - the trailer and tow vehicle is covered in salt and road grime from our southbound trip and I can't stand leaving it in that condition!

One year, once we arrived in warmer climes, we took both truck and trailer through a truck wash (mainly cleaning 18 wheelers.) It did a good job and we were in and out in ten minutes, but id did cost something over $60 as I recall. That included - supposedly some sort of wax rinse.

But usually I just wash it at the first opportunity when we are in a campground. Of course some have rules against it but many permit it - some only the trailer, not the tow vehicle, I guess because you can quite easily take that to a carwash.

Others have no rules against washing trailers, and some say you can wash with a bucket and final rinse with a hose but not to leave a hose running. I supple among other things it might depend on water shortage issues, water pressure issues, and the possibility of messing up your neighbours campground.

We have stopped at some campgrounds that recognize the desire/need to wash RV's and provide a separate wash area.

We have also stopped at some places that do permit it but want you to check first with the office and may charge a small fee.

I generally try to abide by the rules, but will admit that - especially if we are only making an overnight stop, I might surreptitiously flaunt the rules after dark, planning on pleading ignorance if I get caught -something to do with it being better to ask for forgiveness than asking for permission! I do hate to be seen pulling a filthy AS! At other times I might just give it a miss and hope that our next night's top location has more liberal rules!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We just use the spray wand and brush pull-through car washes, being sure there is room to get in and especially out. Spray off those brushes though, the last guy probably dropped it in the sand on the floor.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Many of the more Chi-Chi RV resorts allow outside companies to come in and wash your trailer and TV right at your site. It's usually advertised at check-in or with signs as you drive in. We have used this service occasionally.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote