Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Lightbulb Cincinnatii and Indianapolis area Vacation

Have decided to go to these two cities for some vacation.
Will NOT be taking trailer.
Have never been to either.
Just always wanted to see them both.

Planning on eating chili at Skyline and the other famous chain in Cinci.(cant recall the name, maybe Gold Star). Any opinion on which is best? Or any other?
Also looking for some corn dog joint seen on PBS hot dog show few years back. (Maybe it was on food network).
(I think I have that show on vhs somewhere.)

May try to get to Indy during Brickyard Nascar race. Not much interested in the race but would love the scene. Not sure this will fit my schedule though as for time of visit.

Might detour to Jackson Center either coming or going.
Is Jackson Center open? Are tours available most each day?
But most importantly what do you guys in the know suggest that one do in the Cinci and Indy areas? Usual tourist places plus hopefully well kept secrets. Small museums, factory tours, and any Great Bar-B-Que joints?
Old Hotels or unique lodging.

My friends think my destinations are sorta weird for vacation. I like it that way.

Thanks
dd

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
JC is only 1.5 hrs away...easy to get to. They do the tour every day @ 2, if I recall correctly. (I think Fridays, they shut down early, so there's not as much to see).
The Air Force Museum is on the way, but I would make that a whole-day thing. I didn't have that kind of time when I was there last fall. But I did get to take the tour of the mothership.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow

Thanks Chuck,

BTW other things I would like to know about are any "unique" or themed restaurants of note. You know places with lots of history on the walls etc.

I think Johnny Bench used to have a cafe in Cinci. Probably no more??
Wonder if the late Stan Musial's cafe is still in St.Louis ?

Will definitely tour the Indy Speedway if available.
But what else is in Indy?
Just wanna get out in the Indiana countryside, moon over the Wabash & all that stuff. Maybe check out campsites at Hoosier National Forest for future AS pull?
That's down by Bloomington.
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Ohio Visit

There is tons to see in the Cinci and Dayton area. The Wright brothers museum, Wright Air Force Base has a great museum/airfield, National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, and on and on!
Jackson Center is right in the midst of another whole host of stuff to do. There is the tour first! Then there is the Bicycle Museum at New Bremen that is pretty cool. The locks and canals are in the same area. The Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum @Wapakoneta is neat too. There was a piece on the food channel and they featured a little restaurant called The Spot at Sidney, OH which is not too far from JC. We haven't been there yet, but it is on our list of things to do.
Oh yeah, and if you get to NW Ohio, PM us and stop by for a visit. Did you say what dates you are headed to OH? We have a bunch of dates that we are doing informal rallies. Check out the thread "Ohio Airstreamers informal forum.... " You can see where we are all bound for on the weekends this summer. We just post where we are all gonna be and others can join if they have the time/interest.
Safe travels!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Skyline is the best - Also try the Montgomery Inn for delicious ribs, Jungle Jims in Fairfield (see their websites). If near Springfield try Schulers Donuts can't be beat.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
DD,

Don't forget to visit the South side of Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky. There are great views of downtown Cinci from many of the restaurants at Newport on the levee. Additionally check out Pompilio's Italian restaurant in Newport and for desert visit Schneiders candy shop for one of their ice balls. Schneiders creates an ice ball with homemade icecream in the center. My favorite is the french vanilla with the root beer topping. Both Pompilio's and Schneider's have a web site, check it out!

Larry
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have eaten at "The Spot" restaurant a few years ago - really good hamburgers.
There is a restaurant in Augusta, KY called the Beehive where a lot of locals go. Augusta is a nice little river town.
If you like wineries stop by Moyers in Manchester, OH. It is along U.S. 52 - an Ohio scenic route.
-Aquariam in Newport, Ky
- Cincinnati Reds baseball
- horse racing - Turfway, River Downs
- King Island and Coney Island amusement parks
- Union terminal in Cincinnati - old railroad station - art deco style - has a small Amtrak station and the Cincinnati Historical Society
- Cincinnati Zoo
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
What?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
Have decided to go to these two cities for some vacation.
Will NOT be taking trailer.
dd
I just re-read your post! Whatdayamean you are NOT taking the trailer??!!!!
How can you go on vacation and leave the trailer???
LOL!!! There is so much to do on this list already you would have to visit for at least a couple of weeks!!! And look at all those restaurants! That is at least a week of eating!!!
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Things to do in Indy, there are still lots of good tickets for the Brickyard 400, and you will be able to see the IMS Museum on any day they are not practicing or qualifying.

Downtown Indy has the Zoo, the NCAA Hall of Champions, Indiana State Museum, Eiteljorg Museum (Western and Native American Art) are all within walking distance of each other.

The BroadRipple area is great place for music and a beer and food.

Conner's Prarie near Nobelsville, will take you back to the 1860's

For food check out Shapiro's Deli, John's Famous Stew, Mug n Bun (near the Speedway)

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
I grew up near Cincinnati. Skyline and Gold Star are both very good. I prefer Gold Star. I would also highly recommend the Hoffbrau Haus (owned by the same family that owns the one in Munich) in Newport Kentucky. It is just across the river from downtown Cincy. Use the blue bridge, next to the Colosseum, between the suspension bridge and the bridge that looks like McDonald's (big yellow arches). Turn left as soon as you cross the bridge and it down a block or two on the right. Ask to eat in the Beer Hall. You will most likely have to wait, but you can wait in the outdoor beer garden and have a few dark beers. Did I mention the young ladies with the frilly dresses that bring baskets of pretzels and beer cheese around. Once your seated in the Beer Hall, order some good German food and of course some more beer and sing along with the Ump-Pa-Pa Band. Can you tell I love this place.

You might consider the Arboretum or Natural History Museum in Mount Adams on the east edge of downtown. There is an outstanding Zoo in Clifton on the north edge of downtown as well.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Many of these ideas have already been mentioned, but I am including their web sites for your convenience.

Cincinnati:

I second the suggestion for Union Terminal Museum both for the museum and the grand Art Deco architecture. Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal

Off the beaten path, Cincinnati has an authentic castle—as in no heat, no air conditioning, and no plumbing - Loveland Castle. Historical Loveland Castle

If you are going up to Jackson Center (which, as an Airstreamer, you must) do stop on the way to spend a day at the Air Force museum, Ohio’s most popular tourist attraction. National Museum of the USAF - Home

While you’re in Dayton another great, but less well known, museum of 19th and 20th technology is Carillon Park Carillon Historical Park

While you’re in the neighborhood of Jackson Center, by all means visit the Armstrong Air & Space Museum OHS - Places - Armstrong Air & Space Museum in Nal Armstrong’s hometown.

In nearby New Bremen, the Bicycle Museum is well worth seeing. Bicycle Museum of America

In the Indianapolis area, Conner Prairie is definitely worth seeing Conner Prairie Interactive History Park

If you’re looking for an offbeat place to stay in Indianapolis (since. . . shudder. . . you aren’t taking your Airstream) you might want to stay in a railroad car at the Crown Plaza Union Station Crowne Plaza Hotel INDIANAPOLIS Hotels | INDIANAPOLIS-DWTN-UNION STN | Welcome .

Anyhow, that’s a few ideas to get you started. . .
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kentucky, ohio