Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Christmas vacation

We had been planning this trip for months since none of our kids and grandkids were coming for more than a couple days for Christmas. Had to postpone for 2 days since we had a snow storm and temps in the 20's on Christmas day. Had a great 7 days once we got there!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1113 205.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	176032   Click image for larger version

Name:	1113 213.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	388.9 KB
ID:	176033  

Name:	1113 219.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	176034   Click image for larger version

Name:	1113 222.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	176035  

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Big C. We just got home from our first Christmas time camp out and posted it in "Bob and Lee's random trip" thread; Maybe you can tell us more about you trip and add a few pictures too.

Note: I guess you weren't finished yet; I, now, see some great pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Bob, for some reason my pics did not post first time.
Had a great trip! My son and his expecting wife with out 7th grandchild joined us for 3 days. Got to take him on his first fishing trip since way back. Luckily he caught several. It was such a pleasure to watch him. In his profession time is measured in bytes. While on the water trout fishing time just slips away. Going out before 8 am and then him realizing its almost 4 pm was a welcome relief for both of us.
This was our first cold weather trip in our Sov. Just bought her in June and since we have put well over 10 grand miles on her. From Banff and Jasper NP in Canada, with side excursions in WY, MT and Colorado. Our favorite place to go is Beavers Bend SP in Oklahoma. It is such a beautiful place! 25 bucks a night and this time of year we were one of no more than 5 people in the park, and the only Airstream. But that's ok since we are used to it. Get lots of visitors to our vintage 2nd home.
Great trout fishing for those who are into it. As well there are miles and miles of hiking trails. Also if you ride bikes and can handle riding in the mountains there are many 8-10% grades to test your skills.
If you want some very good vintage, Girls Gone Wine has some. It's just up the road in Hochatown. If you want to canoe or kayak Broken Bow lake is just a mile or 2 over the mountain(s). The lake is kept as an "all natural" place. Only 2 man made docks are allowed. You'll have to port your canoe or kayaks down to the water, but it is well worth it. There are many many coves... If you need some flies for trout fishing on the river, there are 2 great fly shops.
The SP is very well managed, clean and the Rangers police the waters diligently. 25 bucks a night will get you a spot. There is only one reserve site that has full hookups (50ish) but is closed during the off season. But is you are conservative and several shower/bathroom facilities within easy walking distance, or you can just as easily fill your travel tank and dump at the station.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1113 284.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	176057   Click image for larger version

Name:	1113 206.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	176058  

Name:	1113 263.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	176059   Click image for larger version

Name:	1113 376.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	176060  

WBCCI #8578
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We also went camping over the Christmas and New Years holiday for 10 nights. Although we thought it was cold (in the low 40s at night), based on your photos it was a lot warmer than where you folks were. The first 5 nights were in Chula Vista RV Park in San Diego CA. There were a couple of other Airstreams there and we got to know Cal and Peggy from the Central Coast California Unit of the WBCCI. They invited us to a Rally at Newport Dunes RV for New Years. So we broke camp a day early and spent the next 5 nights with over 50 other Airstreams. While we love camping in a more 'rustic' setting, we had a great time and made lots of new friends in the not so wild back bay of Newport Harbor. By the way, your site looked great and the fish you caught looked even better. I am also curious on how towing your rig in the snow was? We haven't done that yet, but we almost got caught up in Oregon in a snow storm but were able to change our course and avoided the snow. I am sure that this will happen on one of these trips, so any tips will be appreciated.

Safe travels,
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Big C:

Nice photos of your Christmas trip. I'm jealous of your adventure as I sit here in CO where it's been below average seasonal temps for several weeks now (although today it heading above). The wife and I were just commiserating on how it will be another 4 months before we pull our AS out of its winter hibernation mode and head out. I was out fly fishing last weekend and enjoyed the river (So. Platte) but fought the frozen ice on my rod tip all day, it was still a great day being out. I was at the Denver Fly Fishing. Show yesterday checking out all the new gear and saw your Tenkara set up for the first time. Looks interesting and I may need to try it out sometime on one of our small rivers around here.

Hey the wife and I are planning a trip this year to Canada for the big 25th and I see you mentioned Jasper and Banff NP. I'd be interested in your experiences and recommendations on where you camped, fished, etc. We are excited to explore the area and will be heading up in late Aug for 2 weeks. We will be visiting our daughter in Missoula then heading up through Glacier, then up to Waterton Lakes then up to Jasper, Lake Louise, etc. any thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers,
Bigcgar
Aka Allan
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Alan,
I have been fishing with my Tenkara rods for over 2 years now and just love them. On our recent trip the best area was in fast water approx 40 ft wide. Best fly size was 24-28 bwo emerger. Rod length that I was using 13.6 ft with 14 ft of line and 8 ft of fluorocarbon tippet 7-8x. Love the ease of strikes since you feel it immediately thru the line to the rod. During the freezing rain we had after the snow did not have to worry about guide ice.
During our Canada trip the best camp area we found was at Lake Louise north of Banff. We were there after Labor Day and it is one of those that stays open after the Holiday. Lots of the smaller ones close so be sure to check before hand. Wabasso near Jasper was not as good as I had thought so we went back to LL after a couple of days. Did get a refund so there was no problem. There is no shortage of fishing there! Best I found with very little pressure was the Bow River at the park at Lake Louise. I was the only angler there most days so I had the run of the river and caught plenty. Mountain White fish, Bull, and Cut trout. Do some research or visit a fly shop before you enter the park since you won't be able to find any flies once inside. I tie my own so I was able to have what I needed. The best thing we did was to be well provisioned once in Banff and Jasper parks since costs of most anything is very high in comparison to outside. As well costs in CA vs the States is + 20% or more.
The water there is mostly very fast and milky blue. Very different fishing than anywhere I fished in CO, or MT on the way up. It is hard to describe, but with the right flies and a few casts to find your rhythm and a little research you'll catch plenty.
Luckily our weather here is not as severe as yours. We can (with precautions) travel during our winters to the south eastern part of Oklahoma which is very beautiful.
Have fun on your trip!
Chris
Attached Files
WBCCI #8578
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Scott,
Luckily TXDot (Dept of Transportation) was on top of the storm so the roads were decent. We gave our selves an extra 3 hrs for our regular 5.5 hr trip which eventually took 7 hrs since I drove at around 50ish mph depending. There was still some black ice in shaded spaces, but I drive a lot for a living so am used to this so I slowed way down in these areas. Just give yourself plenty of time for a slow safe trip in inclement weather.
This is our favorite place to go when we aren't on a longer trip and we know a lot of the Park employees there so we were able to call ahead and get a good report of the conditions. We are member of the LMFR Foundation and contribute to the fishery and the river. Our part is planting native trees, since we own a garden center. We have a vested interest in the park preservation.
I have been fishing there for over 2 years and that was the first fish I had taken from the water.
Safe Travels in return...
WBCCI #8578
Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
Chris:

Wow 24-28's I'm not sure I can get the line through the hook with my eyes. I have a tough time with 22's :-). Thanks for the feedback on Canada and campgrounds around Lake Louise. We are pretty much open to full or no service locations if the sites are good. Less crowds are better for sure. Also thanks for the fishing recommendations as I'll be in the river most days.

Cheers,
Allan
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Alan,
I keep one of those flip down cheaters (2.5) on my cap. Works great!
Tight Lines!!!
Chris
WBCCI #8578
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I haven't found one that fits on my cowboy hat :-).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4027384770.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	474.8 KB
ID:	176370