Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
Chisos Basin Campground Big Bend NP

We headed over to BBNP last weekend, a 14 hour drive for us from north Louisiana. Spent our first night in Abilene State Park, almost exactly half way. Abilene SP is a pleasant and quiet park and a good place to stay if you are east or westbound across Texas. We drove down through Marathon into the Big Bend and set up camp about an hour before sunset on our second day of travel. Believe it or not the temps were in the low 40's and we got rained on as we settled in! The next three days were absolutely perfect, blue skies, mild temps, and only a few bugs. We checked out the visitors center, store, lodge, and also drove over to Rio Grande Village to see what those campgrounds had to offer. We were at BBNP so I could ride the perimeter on my road bike, which I did on the second day, about 29 miles in one ride. For the road bicyclists on the forum, my route had a net elevation gain of about 2000 feet, an average 3% grade (with one hill at 15%!!) and several looooong uphills and downhills to complete on the circuit. Attached are a few photos of our trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Approaching Chisos Mountains.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	183936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Just arrived at campsite.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	183937  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Riding Up Toward the Chisos.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	183938   Click image for larger version

Name:	End of Ride 29 miles.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	183939  

jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Great pictures. I wish we could camp in Chisos Basin, but our 25' AS is too long to drive up the mountain. We once camped there in a tent, but now we are spoiled and gave away the tent.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
On a previous trip, camping at Cottonwood in a 23FB, I spoke to a Park Service employee about that "20 foot max trailer length" rule for Chisos. He told me much larger trailers have made it through the hairpins without hitting anything, and that the lodge and store are supplied by some really large tractor trailer rigs. I think the problem actually lies with the size of the campsites. Very few of the sites are big enough for trailers longer than 22 or 23 feet. There are a few though. And Loop 1 allows generators. I was also surprised to see several real toilet facilities at Chisos as well as a few faucets with running water placed throughout the campground. When we were there the campground filled to capacity every night and about 80% of the sites were occupied by tent or van campers. Despite that the campground was very quiet at night and the camping conditions were about perfect.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote