Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio
I Googled Indiana Dunes S.P. ......It's at Chesterton, IN. East of Gary. The Park is only minutes off of Interstate 94

campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I am not too sure that the Metra runs all the way out to Chesterton. There are no state parks close to the south side of Chicago with close RTA or CTA stations close by. Metra is the RTA train system that runs out to Zion, Marengo, Crystal lake, or Fox lake that could get you to town without having to drive your big truck downtown.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #17
Currently Looking...
Cambridge , Ohio

The rail line we took in to Chicago was the South Shore Line. I don't believe it is connected or a part of RTA/ Chicago Mass transit etc., But it does stop at a convenient location for Chicago tourists. The station we traveled from was only 5 or so minutes from Indiana Dunes SP. I don't Know about transfers to/from RTA etc. as it dropped us where we wanted to be. We took a cab to the other loations we wanted to see and back to the S.S.Line station. I believe it was about 5/6 years ago when we were there but maybe things have changed since.

Thanks, Brad
campernut64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Great information - thanks!

After a little more research I found Emerald Trails CG in Crete, IL. I found Crete south of Chicago, but I can't figure out how close it might be to one of the transit lines. They don't open until April, but I need to figure this out before then.

Anyone familiar with the Crete area?
Hi, we stayed there last year. It was very quiet when we were there. It's nicely wooded. Didn't use the bathrooms or showers but peeked in and thought they were kind of primitive. It seemed mostly to be permanent summer residents.

The sites are all grassy, no pavement. It's about the best you can find on the south side of Chicago.

sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote