Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Chicago

We are planning a trip to Chicago this weekend. Anyone know of a good place to camp out close to Orland Park, LaGrange Park and Frankfort area?
This will be our first shake ??? down cruise for the 78 Minuet after replacement of the axle, tires and hot water heater!!! We hope we have all of the major problems figured out!
loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: Chicago

Quote:
Originally posted by loudruff
We are planning a trip to Chicago this weekend. Anyone know of a good place to camp out close to Orland Park, LaGrange Park and Frankfort area?
This will be our first shake ??? down cruise for the 78 Minuet after replacement of the axle, tires and hot water heater!!! We hope we have all of the major problems figured out!
I think that Silvertwinkie has some space behind his garage in Chicago now that the tree that crashed down, narrowly missing his Bambi has been removed... I'm sure that he wouldn't mind if I offered you his driveway and/or yard as a campsite!!!

Actually, he has some pretty extensive knowledge of the parks around Chicago and could probably offer some ideas... Eric?

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Already covered the info offline...I was hoping some other Chicagoland folks could help as I only knew of the state parks.... but they were not near the area desired....

That darn tree.....I miss it....but what can ya do...... rebuild and move on....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Cruisin' there anyway

This shake down trip may be more shakin' up. Water pump bit the dust today. Holding tank valves stuck shut, then started leaking. Sounds like valves need replacing and seals too. Larry has been researching on this site most of the evening. Thanks to everyone for details on all of that. The pump will be the chore of the morning before we take off for Chicago. Guess the other will wait until we return to OH.

We are thinking of camping at Kankakee State Park and driving in to the big Windy City. Will let you know how it goes.

If anyone heads to OH in the near future, we have an available camping spot in our yard, for real, our trees are still standing so far.
Lou
Old 08-14-2003, 05:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I'd like to meet up with my brother in Downers Grove, when he comes in to visit his daughter, but as far as everyone knows there isn't anything closer than a hour away. Or is there?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Chicago camping

Just a point about camping in the Chicago area.
Indiana Dunes State Park is located on Lake Michigan in the Chicago area. Just outside the park, there is a train station that provides service to downtown Chicago.
I have stayed there several times, using the train to go to the city, and returned in the evening to the camper.
I assume that you could make connections to the other suburbs of Chicago via train from the Loop.

Cliff in Indiana
WBCCI 6960
Airstream402001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 05:25 PM   #7
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida
Little late for your trip but if you go next time....Chgo area is not the best for campgrounds. In the S.W. Orland, LaGrange, try Windy City and one just West of there near Joliet. Both are just off I-80 and much noise. If you want to drive another 45 min. , try Kankakee S.P.. Cheap, quiet, nice place
Old 08-22-2003, 09:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Back from Chicago

Thanks for the info. We could not find a very good place close to LaGrange Park. We did not get an opportunity to look at Tinley Park which was the only one we saw in the camping book. We landed at Kankakee State Park, Potowatomi Camp, and you are right about that one. Quiet, cool (due to lots of shade trees), level spots which were nicely spaced and easy to get into, with electricity. Nice people and great staff. One drawback was that the gates are locked at 10 p.m. and you really get locked out! We arrived late and found that out. But the ranger doing rounds was very cooperative and we were able to get back in.
It fills up quickly on the weekends. Lots of fishing, biking, trails etc.
One drawback were the push button showers which had lots of hot water, but were a pain to have to keep hitting that button.
Pit toilets nearby camping spaces, and flush toilets in the shower house, which was away from the camping area.
Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Downers Grove

Kankakee SP was about 45 min. from LaGrange Park. Tinley Park might be one to check out. It is just north of Rt.80. We found info in our Campground guide but did not have an opportunity to get there to see what it was. The book shows it to be considerably more expensive. Kankakee SP was only $11/night, with electricity. It does have a dump station.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
One drawback were the push button showers which had lots of hot water, but were a pain to have to keep hitting that button.
For future reference...a small pocket knife blade works wonders. Push the button in and hold it while you slip the knife blade in along side the button. The blade should wedge the button and hold it in while you enjoy uninterrupted water flow.