Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #43
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Trailer Life directories have always served us well. They are up to date and have a rating system that works for us. It is a set of three 1 to 10 values. They are completeness of facilities, cleanliness and physical characteristics of restrooms and showers, and visual appearance and environmental quality. I have usually agreed with the ratings of places we have stayed. The third one is usually the most important for us, because we use our own toilet and shower and are not apt to use swimming pools, volley ball courts and the like.

I have been around travel trailers and truck campers since I was 14. (a long long time ago). I remember how much of a blessing I thought it was when Camping World started opening stores. Before that it was mainly ordering sight unseen items over the phone from printed catalogs. It is true that today the Internet offers the biggest selection and best prices , but camping world is on the Internet.There is one of the mini Camping Worlds about 10 miles from me and I usually shop there because I can see what I am buying. I might save a few percent on the Internet, but that is usually all.

Check out Trailer Life's web site sometime. Them have an excellent selection of RV books including many do it yourself references.

By the way, I would not have service done at Camping World except in a pinch. This is because I prefer a smaller shop where I feel I will get more personalized service,

Ken

Old 07-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #44
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Never have used Trailer Life, but have used Woodalls for finding campgrounds. We use it less and less because it is not very good—hard to read, poorly designed listings and an obscure sort-of-rating system (they claim they are not ratings, but doesn't everyone use them that way?) which more than one CG owner has told me is skewed to advertisers.
I bought a Woodalls for our Run to the Sun, and loved it. Of course, I didn't ever read the book, the CD gave up the info I wanted much more easily. The search was great, in that you can set parameters for distance, features, and also showed a link for those who had one.

Show me something better than Woodalls, I'll use it next time.

And when I needed a new WH, CW was by far the cheapest in the Orlando area at the time, even though I had to drive to a further store to get one in stock.

The thing is that they are so big, that there is bound to be big potential for huge variance in quality of service among their stores. I was well-treated at both the ones I visited.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
CW has two prices:. over-priced for non-members and retail for members. Having to buy a membership so that I get a retail price bothers me. Having said that, I do find myself appreciating the last resort convenience and selection of a local CW.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You don't shop at Costco...??
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
You don't shop at Costco...??
Costco charges a membership to give you access to prices BELOW retail. CW charges a membership so you can pay equal to or more than what others charge.

But, to answer your question, no, I actually don't shop at Costco either.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Costco charges a membership to give you access to prices BELOW retail. CW charges a membership so you can pay equal to or more than what others charge.

But, to answer your question, no, I actually don't shop at Costco either.
Why don't you show us some examples of that?

Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
It was good that the charge was removed at the time, but maybe you should have reported that in your original post. It might have prevented the negative comments, etc. Your Camping World did do the right thing after you brought it to their attention.
He did, I think. Right at the top it says:

Check Tire Pressure (2 tires) = $44.50 (charge removed)<=====<<<

But I only give a business half credit for "doing the right thing" after they are caught. Our criminal justice system doesn't work that way! (When it works, that is.)

Thanks for the heads up OP!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

Why don't you show us some examples of that?

Ken
Ok Ken, go take a look at drop-ins for your toilet at CW then run over to Walmart. I did this just last week in Orlando. I do not recall the exact price, but I do recall that CW's non-member price was even higher than the store at Disney's Meadow Trading Post in Fort Wilderness.

Then again, sounds like you may not have to use drop-ins.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAPachyderm View Post
Ok Ken, go take a look at drop-ins for your toilet at CW then run over to Walmart. I did this just last week in Orlando. I do not recall the exact price, but I do recall that CW's non-member price was even higher than the store at Disney's Meadow Trading Post in Fort Wilderness.

Then again, sounds like you may not have to use drop-ins.
I will ignore the snotty comment.

Walmart has this one item.

Walmart.com: Camco TST Orange Drop-Ins: Automotive

It works out to 91 cents a use,

Camping world has the same product for ,83 cents a use
plus an assortment of at least 10 other drop in products ranging from 40 cents to $1.11 a use.

- Camping World

The 40 cent ones are what I use, perhaps for the reason you were alluding to.

Do you want to play again? If so it's your turn.

Just saying so doesn't count.

Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
However, Good Sam's ERS is the best I've ever had, but I'm feeling a bit left out that I don't get much junk mail from them.
I'll save some of ours for you. It really is ridiculous. Also, they know I have a 17 year old camper, but they still send extended warranty info that doesn't cover campers over 10 years old.

I was all set to drop them a couple years ago, but then we realized our most-frequently visited campground took Good Sam but not AAA for discounts. The price difference made it worth it. But that campground stopped doing that, so it may be time to dump them again.

I've found, much to my surprise, CW often does have better prices than Amazon and the like, as long as you're in the club (which we are for other reasons).

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #53

Good Sam - Camping World

I know that a Good Sam membership is also a Camping World membership.
Is that now the only type of Camping World membership?
It appears that way looking at the web site.

Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I know that a Good Sam membership is also a Camping World membership.
Is that now the only type of Camping World membership?
It appears that way looking at the web site.

Ken
Hi, yes. Camping World and Good Sam memberships are one and the same now. In California [land of the rich] I find better prices from Amazon, if they have it. I have the memberships and mostly use them for the magazine and for Good Sam camp grounds. KOA is a last resort for me. On our travels we have been able to find and use Good Sam camp grounds and like them better. I'm also a member of Price Club and get good prices there, for the things that we use or want.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #55

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Let me first say I buy anything that's remotely competitive from my local CW because it's LOCAL, and it's nice to be able to fiddle with things in person and wander the aisles and fondle the merchandise.

That said, I ain't stupid about it. I had several things to buy this last week, PPL had a free shipping deal, and they were $20 less (than the CW member price) on the LP regulator, *HAD* the 24" pigtails I needed that CW didn't even have an empty hook for, and had a good price on the particular toilet I hope to fit where it needs to go in the Argosy that CW doesn't carry online or in-store.

I'm a CW/Good Sam member, I shop there regularly and buy there when it makes sense, and I use the Good Sam discount when I can, but don't seek out campgrounds based on the discount. It can be useful without being the best thing ever, after all.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yes. Camping World and Good Sam memberships are one and the same now. In California [land of the rich] I find better prices from Amazon, if they have it. I have the memberships and mostly use them for the magazine and for Good Sam camp grounds. KOA is a last resort for me. On our travels we have been able to find and use Good Sam camp grounds and like them better. I'm also a member of Price Club and get good prices there, for the things that we use or want.
It's funny how things can change. 10 or so years ago, we always looked first for a KOA. Good Sam's Club parks were unpredictable. Now it seems to have switched 180 degrees. Our first choice now is a Good Sam's park. It might have something to do with the discount too. We also rely a lot on the Trailer Life Camground Directory ratings. Coincidently, we also belong to Sam's Club, but are considering trying Costco when our membership expires. We still haven't decided, The drive to Sam's Club is more scenic and less traffic.

Ken