Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Camping World has certainly come along way since the days of $5.00 installation and ten cent a night camping at Beech Bend Park. Or maybe I'm just getting old

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
If they had found the air pressure low I wonder if there would have been a second additional charge to actually put air into the tire ....... .........

Jay
I wonder what they charge per cubic foot of air?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Ridiculous - I'll never have them to check my tire pressure!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Smile Check Air ???

I remember when Gas Station's checked Air, Oil & cleaned Windows .then you got Green Stamps or Silverware etc. for 18.9-28.9 Better stop showing my age
Old 07-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have gotten bitten by outfits like that CW when I was in rush to get out of the place and didn't notice some unauthorized or excessive charge like that (Big O, can you hear me now?), but I never go back when I discover it. Some people would not realize they were being overcharged—not everyone has a tire gauge or knows how to use it and what to do about low or high pressure. My father was a very smart man, but it took him a long time to realize you have to add oil to the car engine sometimes—that was back in the 40's and 50's when all cars needed to have oil added between oil changes (he didn't know about those either). Companies that take advantage of the mechanically distressed count on many people not asking about excessive charges.

Over the past 5 years, there have been examples posted on the Forum of problems with CW. I am forewarned and grateful to those who have taken the time to alert us.

I have bought products at CW because it is hard to get them elsewhere, but always look for alternatives first. I have no need to reward them for bad practices in the shop.

Gene
Old 07-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Over the past 5 years, there have been examples posted on the Forum of problems with CW. I am forewarned and grateful to those who have taken the time to alert us.

I have bought products at CW because it is hard to get them elsewhere, but always look for alternatives first. I have no need to reward them for bad practices in the shop.
Well said, Gene. Hopefully, CW keeps an eye on this site and fires some beancounters.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
He got exactly what anybody who is too lazy to check their own tire pressure deserved.
Just curious, are you a mechanic at Camping World? =D
Old 07-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
He got exactly what anybody who is too lazy to check their own tire pressure deserved.
I agree it was a dumb thing to say, but we have all said dumb things, perhaps trying to be funny.

No need to pile on.

Gene
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
see =D
Old 07-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
CW has taken a page from the boating industry thinking that they can charge double or triple for anything as long as it is RV.

That is a misguided idea. Most can't haul your boat around to look for a better price but we can and should.

The last Chinese product, a water fill cap, I bought in Texas from CW did not fit and I returned it on the way home from Az

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I am not a fan of Good Sam Enterprises or any of their brands (Camping World, Trailer Life, etc.). However, keep in mind that with any big company the level of service you receive at one location may not be the same at another. That store might have a short-sighted GM that pushed short term revenue over long term customers, a new tech trying to make his numbers, etc. Or, maybe this is standard operating procedure.

With that said, I no longer subscribe to Trailer Life, shop at Camping World or use the Good Sam roadside assistance. Ever since they started going over the top with their scare tactic advertising and fear mongering, I just couldn't continue to support their company. Weekly or more mail describing, in full color, all the misfortune that would befall me without their warranties, emergency assistance, etc. was just too much. /rant

-DK
Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #40
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I belong to Good Sam, subscribe to Trailer Life, buy Trailer Life Campground directories, and have never had a problem with Camping World and buy most of my stuff from them, because they are close by. Their prices are far more resonable than any of the parts counters at the local RV dealers and the selection is extremely better. So I guess I'm just plain stupid.

Why does bashing different businesses seem to be so popular on the forums these day. This one started out with one bad experience, and now people are chiming in with things like, "I just don't like them because they are big" or words to that effect.

Do we need a separate thread to post positive experiences with them? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Ken
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Rivet

We occasionally stop by a Camping World on the way to our daughter's house, mainly just to see items first hand. Haven't really found any good deals there. Would never get any work on my trailer done there. We get it done locally, or at an AS authorized repair center. I think Jackson Center charges less for labor than CW.

However, Good Sam's ERS is the best I've ever had, but I'm feeling a bit left out that I don't get much junk mail from them.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It is a mixed bag I think.

Some may not know CW, Good Sam, Woodalls, Trailer Life, are all owned by the same company.

Most of the specific complaints are about CW service. CW store prices can be high, but they can even be worse at other RV stores. I've gotten some really good deals through their sales and check them carefully. Sometimes the catalogs have coupons that can be combined with sales. Shopping at any RV store means being careful because of inflated prices. Because they have more stuff than most other RV stores, it can save time to go to CW.

I've never heard anything bad about the Good Sam road service and have actually heard stories about GS towing vehicles hundreds and hundreds of miles along the Alaska Hwy to find a shop that could fix something.

Never have used Trailer Life, but have used Woodalls for finding campgrounds. We use it less and less because it is not very good—hard to read, poorly designed listings and an obscure sort-of-rating system (they claim they are not ratings, but doesn't everyone use them that way?) which more than one CG owner has told me is skewed to advertisers. One told me the Woodall's guy told him he'd get more stars (or whatever they are) if he advertised; that was confirmed by others. We have also relied on AAA and RV Park Reviews. Unfortunately AAA has stopped publishing it's CG book and gives members copies of Woodalls. With RV Park Reviews we can find out a lot including CG websites so long as we have wifi. With a printer we print all sorts of stuff, sometimes a week ahead of time. AAA has also changed the format of the tour books and they are harder to use and have less information.

Woodalls does publish a book on how to fix RV stuff. It explains everything you'd need to know including how stuff works. so if you want to know how an RV fridge works, it is all there. A good investment.

But I'll stay far away from CW's shop.

Gene