Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecos View Post
Watch out...While having 1 axle wheel bearing packed at Camping World I asked them to check the tire pressure on both tires before releasing the trailer. That labor cost for checking tire pressure was $44.50!
This is bizarre - the wheels are already off - when we get our bearings repacked this is a standard part of the service - which also includes checking the tires for wear, checking and adjusting the brakes ..... I think someone screwed up ..... maybe a new employee???

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I find it interesting that a business working on your running gear wouldn't already have checked tire pressures in all the tires. Never know, there could have be a sale of a new tire there if they had checked the tires.

My opinion is this: checking for proper inflation is like getting a napkin with dinner. Usually you get one, sometimes you have to ask for one, but they never directly charge you for it, it's part of the service provided.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
this goes along with charging to dispose of the old oil when getting a oil change. Also to clean the area after. Also to carry your own bag and store it when traveling.
Be prepared for additional charges on just any service you might require.

In the past, charges were built in; but now they are "add ons"
Old 07-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arkadelphia , Arkansas
Many years ago, I took my aunt's car to a shop to have the water pump replaced. The shop owner looked it up in the book and quoted me a price. WHen I returned to pick the car up, he tried to charge me an extra $175 to remove and reinstall the timing belt. The belt itself was new. When I tried to explain to him that the timing belt r&r was a part of the job, and thus was factored into the book rate for the job, he tried to sucker me by telling me that the timing was off at the belt, and was therefore a separate job. I offered to leave the car and let my attorney settle the issue, and he angrily dropped the charge.

I know for a fact that I cost him thousands of dollars of business in the few years after that by steering friends and family away from his shop. I'd always been happy with his service before, and bought a lot of tires from him as well.

Charging for checking the tire pressure, especially when the trailer is already in the shop, is ludicrous. I'd complain to the headquarters, and complain loudly.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
oops, they forgot to charge for the new air!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I owned a large customer oriented business for 30 years and never would have considered what CW seems to be doing. They came from a "feel good" company to a beancounter-run, like most most big boxes. I'll stick with the locals.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for posting this. A little wake up call to pay attention. Utterly silly of CW to add that in. I was going to go to CW to get my axles lubed, but when my wife called them they were already adding a brake job on to the advertised price for doing the axle lube without even looking at the trailer. I ended up just doing them myself. Messy day.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
Thank you all, even those who missed my reason for posting: The mano y mano "I check my own tires" nohoper, for example...

At the time of payment, I objected to the charge and, after a brief but firm discussion (while one employee was rolling his eyes and another was attempting to convince me that the charge was reasonable notwithstanding the necessity for them to ensure the implied idea that the unit, under their care for related issues, was fit to travel in a safe and efficient manner with respect to the work performed, "they" removed the charge...I posted the invoice and discussion only as a warning for fellow moseyers...

I have found that I agree with Altenberg and believe there are only two things that can destroy a healthy man: love trouble, anger, ambition and financial catastrophe. And that's already four things, and there are a lot more...So, travel and enjoy...
Pecos
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It was good that the charge was removed at the time, but maybe you should have reported that in your original post. It might have prevented the negative comments, etc. Your Camping World did do the right thing after you brought it to their attention.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
AHH, the rest of the story! Jim
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Your Camping World did do the right thing after you brought it to their attention.
Just my opinion, but the RIGHT thing to do would have been never to have attempted to gouge their customer in the first place.

It's not like every mechanic doesn't try to upsell you when you take your car in for an oil change, but to charge $45 to CHECK air pressure is absolutely absurd. I'm afraid I would have come over the counter upon seeing that charge.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Note to self.... Bring taylormade with me when I buy my next car.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
That was an unfortunate statement.
Agreed ... it was a rip ... but they did the right thing in the end.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Just my opinion, but the RIGHT thing to do would have been never to have attempted to gouge their customer in the first place.

It's not like every mechanic doesn't try to upsell you when you take your car in for an oil change, but to charge $45 to CHECK air pressure is absolutely absurd. I'm afraid I would have come over the counter upon seeing that charge.
If they had found the air pressure low I wonder if there would have been a second additional charge to actually put air into the tire ....... .........

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote