Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thanks for posting this. A little wake up call to pay attention. Utterly silly of CW to add that in. I was going to go to CW to get my axles lubed, but when my wife called them they were already adding a brake job on to the advertised price for doing the axle lube without even looking at the trailer. I ended up just doing them myself. Messy day.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
Thank you all, even those who missed my reason for posting: The mano y mano "I check my own tires" nohoper, for example...

At the time of payment, I objected to the charge and, after a brief but firm discussion (while one employee was rolling his eyes and another was attempting to convince me that the charge was reasonable notwithstanding the necessity for them to ensure the implied idea that the unit, under their care for related issues, was fit to travel in a safe and efficient manner with respect to the work performed, "they" removed the charge...I posted the invoice and discussion only as a warning for fellow moseyers...

I have found that I agree with Altenberg and believe there are only two things that can destroy a healthy man: love trouble, anger, ambition and financial catastrophe. And that's already four things, and there are a lot more...So, travel and enjoy...
Pecos
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It was good that the charge was removed at the time, but maybe you should have reported that in your original post. It might have prevented the negative comments, etc. Your Camping World did do the right thing after you brought it to their attention.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
AHH, the rest of the story! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Your Camping World did do the right thing after you brought it to their attention.
Just my opinion, but the RIGHT thing to do would have been never to have attempted to gouge their customer in the first place.

It's not like every mechanic doesn't try to upsell you when you take your car in for an oil change, but to charge $45 to CHECK air pressure is absolutely absurd. I'm afraid I would have come over the counter upon seeing that charge.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Note to self.... Bring taylormade with me when I buy my next car.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
That was an unfortunate statement.
Agreed ... it was a rip ... but they did the right thing in the end.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
Just my opinion, but the RIGHT thing to do would have been never to have attempted to gouge their customer in the first place.

It's not like every mechanic doesn't try to upsell you when you take your car in for an oil change, but to charge $45 to CHECK air pressure is absolutely absurd. I'm afraid I would have come over the counter upon seeing that charge.
If they had found the air pressure low I wonder if there would have been a second additional charge to actually put air into the tire ....... .........

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Camping World has certainly come along way since the days of $5.00 installation and ten cent a night camping at Beech Bend Park. Or maybe I'm just getting old
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
If they had found the air pressure low I wonder if there would have been a second additional charge to actually put air into the tire ....... .........

Jay
I wonder what they charge per cubic foot of air?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
East Central , Alabama
Ridiculous - I'll never have them to check my tire pressure!
Old 07-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Smile Check Air ???

I remember when Gas Station's checked Air, Oil & cleaned Windows .then you got Green Stamps or Silverware etc. for 18.9-28.9 Better stop showing my age
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have gotten bitten by outfits like that CW when I was in rush to get out of the place and didn't notice some unauthorized or excessive charge like that (Big O, can you hear me now?), but I never go back when I discover it. Some people would not realize they were being overcharged—not everyone has a tire gauge or knows how to use it and what to do about low or high pressure. My father was a very smart man, but it took him a long time to realize you have to add oil to the car engine sometimes—that was back in the 40's and 50's when all cars needed to have oil added between oil changes (he didn't know about those either). Companies that take advantage of the mechanically distressed count on many people not asking about excessive charges.

Over the past 5 years, there have been examples posted on the Forum of problems with CW. I am forewarned and grateful to those who have taken the time to alert us.

I have bought products at CW because it is hard to get them elsewhere, but always look for alternatives first. I have no need to reward them for bad practices in the shop.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Over the past 5 years, there have been examples posted on the Forum of problems with CW. I am forewarned and grateful to those who have taken the time to alert us.

I have bought products at CW because it is hard to get them elsewhere, but always look for alternatives first. I have no need to reward them for bad practices in the shop.
Well said, Gene. Hopefully, CW keeps an eye on this site and fires some beancounters.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU
He got exactly what anybody who is too lazy to check their own tire pressure deserved.
Just curious, are you a mechanic at Camping World? =D
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
He got exactly what anybody who is too lazy to check their own tire pressure deserved.
I agree it was a dumb thing to say, but we have all said dumb things, perhaps trying to be funny.

No need to pile on.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
see =D
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
CW has taken a page from the boating industry thinking that they can charge double or triple for anything as long as it is RV.

That is a misguided idea. Most can't haul your boat around to look for a better price but we can and should.

The last Chinese product, a water fill cap, I bought in Texas from CW did not fit and I returned it on the way home from Az

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I am not a fan of Good Sam Enterprises or any of their brands (Camping World, Trailer Life, etc.). However, keep in mind that with any big company the level of service you receive at one location may not be the same at another. That store might have a short-sighted GM that pushed short term revenue over long term customers, a new tech trying to make his numbers, etc. Or, maybe this is standard operating procedure.

With that said, I no longer subscribe to Trailer Life, shop at Camping World or use the Good Sam roadside assistance. Ever since they started going over the top with their scare tactic advertising and fear mongering, I just couldn't continue to support their company. Weekly or more mail describing, in full color, all the misfortune that would befall me without their warranties, emergency assistance, etc. was just too much. /rant

-DK
Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I belong to Good Sam, subscribe to Trailer Life, buy Trailer Life Campground directories, and have never had a problem with Camping World and buy most of my stuff from them, because they are close by. Their prices are far more resonable than any of the parts counters at the local RV dealers and the selection is extremely better. So I guess I'm just plain stupid.

Why does bashing different businesses seem to be so popular on the forums these day. This one started out with one bad experience, and now people are chiming in with things like, "I just don't like them because they are big" or words to that effect.

Do we need a separate thread to post positive experiences with them? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote