Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...

Old 07-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master
One of the most entertaining blogs on fulltiming. Glad to hear the 25 Classic is working out. When I bought mine I actually had a deposit check written for a 34' special order ( a couple of small changes) but my wife put the pressure on for something smaller. We love it but some times I do think about that extra living space and storage. Even if we owned a 34' it would be nice to be able to keep the 25', it's a great size for travel.

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Hi Sean and Kristy--

Excellent blog!!!

Thank you for sharing your Honeymoon, including the ups and downs (dents)!

I was thrilled that your video played, bringing new life and sound back to my old computer!

Thanks… Keep it up… and above all, Have Fun!

-- SilverGate

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Very cool blog indeed, thanks for plugging the forums!

Mastering basic video editing has been a skill I want to acquire. I spent a little time with an Avid about 8 years ago but have not been in front of any video editing systems since then. Any recommendations on sites or software for me to check out?
AIR # 2 - 1961 Bambi - Jeep Cherokee
Campground Reviews: Submit and review campgrounds around the US
Andy R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Thanks to all for your comments. We are having a great deal of fun with the blog. I hope we can sustain it throughout our journey. I'll strive to update frequently, if possible. (This may prove difficult in remote campgrounds, but I'll do my best.)

As for the 25-footer, I'm very happy with it. Yesterday we went to a local RV place to pick up a few items, and found ourselves browsing all the different models. Our 25-footer is like a cozy cottage (at least that's how I like to think of it).

Andy, with regard to editing video, I've had the most success using Adobe Premiere Pro. I'm now experimenting with Sony Vegas (mainly because my laptop is having weird issues with Premiere). If you are a Mac person, try Final Cut Pro. Start slow with simple projects, and build from there. With video, you never run out of skills to learn!
Bored? Check out my Airstream blog: LongLongHoneymoon.com/
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #19
2005 25' International CCD
Everywhere , North America
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Sean and Kristy,
You are our heroes. We upgraded from a 22 when we learned people full-time in Airstream trailers. Cool! So we super-sized all the way, to a 25. We decided our truck and trailer define how much stuff we take with us. Full-timing starts August 9 with a Vancouver and back adventure, then touch base one more time before we close on the house and the remaining car. We love looking at the RV shows and other Airstreams, but can't find any we like better than ours. Are we in denial? We'll go with it, for now. Then redefine this with our experiences.

Thank you for adding to the concept of 'Small Is Beautiful'. But wait! This Airstream is way larger than our backpacking tent. Not so small after all.

Thanks for your excellent sharing and very nice writing.
Jim N5RTG & Deb N4RTG
WBCCI #4822 - SKP #094415
find us here
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Jim, many thanks for your comments. We are having a blast with the blog, and I'm gratified that people are enjoying it.

And I know what you mean about Airstream vis-a-vis the alternatives. We've looked at many RVs (and I suppose it's human nature to always keep looking). However, none had the panache and quality of Airstream. Sure, in every campground there are some massive motorhomes and 5th wheels. But as you point out, there are also plenty of tents. So I guess we're right in the middle, which is fine with me.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:10 PM   #21
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
However, none had the panache and quality of Airstream. Sure, in every campground there are some massive motorhomes and 5th wheels.
Used to travel with a band that moved around in a Prevost, then a Marathon. Sometimes between venues, we'd stop at a park - resort for a couple of days to unwind. Trouble is, we were severely limited as to where we could stay simply because of the size and difficulty. In most parks, we felt like we were intruding (& we behaved, too!). Got us around comfortably but wasn't "camping".

Guess in neighborhoods, we have McMansions... on the road, McBentleys... still don't add up to an Airstream - trailer or classic MoHo...
Bill & Kim
34’ Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I read an article a few months ago about apartment trends in New York City. The gist of the article: since space is at such a premium in cities like Manhattan (and Tokyo, Japan) some firms are growing savvy in maximizing the available space in an apartment. These consulting firms take small spaces and make them both practical and visually appealing.

There's an analogy that applies to Airstream. Sure, it offers a relatively compact space, but has been thoughtfully crafted (through almost 80 years of trial-and-error!) with an eye for design & style. Small is both beautiful and functional when done right.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Thumbs up Excellent Blog

Sean and Kristy,

I had bookmarked your blog to read when I had time and just finished reading it all. That's about the finest example of blogging I have seen. I love the embedded videos. Especially liked the emotional one of you guys getting hitched.

Any pointers on how to get started doing a blog like yours would be appreciated. Pat and I are getting ready to do some extended travel, and our kids have asked us to keep a daily blog. I guess they want to know where their parents are.

Randy and Pat Godfrey
Region 3 2nd VP, Newsletter Editor, Florida Unit
WBCCI# 7591 - AIR# 17017
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hey guys, great blog! my wife is more of a blog reader than i am but i really enjoyed the video portion of your blogs. loved the video in glacier as i was there in '98 and hope to get back there soon.

sean, how long does it take you to edit one of your videos? are you working on the video aspect every day or do you wait a few days until you get a chunk of time. it's a great way to do a blog.

oh and congratulations on your marriage. my wife and i were married two years ago on the 14th of may. life is good.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:52 AM   #25
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Nice blog. Cool to put faces to names too!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I love your bolg! You guys look to be having a great honeymoon. I'll be looking forward to the next season: Babies and fulltiming cross country...ha-ha, but it would be fascinating!

Thanks for sharing, I get a good laugh each time I watch your videos!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
Classic 325 MH
1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Rochester , New Hampshire
Congratulations on the extended honeymoon and thanks for sharing the blog! Nice job!
Jeff & Kristine
Classic 1985 325 Motor Home
New England Unit
WBCCI # 5971
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Belated thanks to everyone for your comments, and I pledge to do a better job of replying in a timely fashion. Truth be told, I just now realized I had some posts in here requiring a reply (my email notification is on the blink). Sorry about that. Anyway...

Randy, check out blogger.com to start your blog. Fear not, if you can post here, you can blog! It's a cinch to get started, it's free, and it's fun.

David, the video editing time varies. It really depends on the complexity of the piece. Some of the simple pieces (say, me blathering in one location) only take a short while. Some of the more complex videos, with lots of locations and shots, may take a couple of hours or more to edit (ugh -- I try not to think about that, lol). I guess I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy the process. Probably the best approach is to start with something simple and build from there.

Tanya, babies and full-timing would make for an excellent blog. Maybe someday...although I suspect that Kristy would demand a 34-foot trailer, heh heh...