Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Che-Bee Radio

Years ago (don't ask how many), I made a trip out West in a recycled Ford farm truck, traveling with a friend in his new Dodge D-100 — with the mighty Slant-6!

Before heading out, each of us bought a citizens-band radio (from J.C. Penney, believe it or not).

My old stake-body didn't do so well on this long haul over the mountains and across the plains, especially after I pumped in a tank of bad gas.

Lots of trips to the auto-parts store for gas filters.

Throughout this eventful trip (today I'd call it a nightmare, but back then it was part adventure, part frustration, and not entirely unexpected, given that most of us — my friend being the exception — drove beaters that had all seen better days) we stayed in contact via the CB.

Thanks to the CB, I wasn't stranded on the side of the highway, getting cold in the snow, wondering when my buddy would notice I was no longer tagging along behind.

The era of the CB radio is long gone, I know, but ... does anyone still use one when on the road with their Airstream?

I know deer hunters used to use them, before the cell-phone, and in the good ol' days you could get highway info (though often of uncertain credibility) and, of course, the smokey alerts (not an issue for me and the Ford ... driving 55 was about all I could muster).

Does hooking a CB under the dash do any good anymore?
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:23 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereStream View Post
Does hooking a CB under the dash do any good anymore?
Lots of old-time WBCCI caravaners still use CB radio when moving from one campground to the next since traveling in a caravan is not exactly the same as traveling in a convoy. The various members of a caravan may never even see each other from the time they leave one campground until they arrive at the next.

And I have attended Airstream rallies where everyone went out to eat some evenings and used CB radios to keep in touch when they were unable to follow each other— given how fast the leaders who knew where they were going drove compared to the slower followers who didn't know where they were going.

But other than that, I very much doubt that a CB is needed. I personally don't have one anymore, and haven't ever needed one since about 1981AD.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
. . and haven't ever needed one since about 1981AD.
. . . and in what year BC did you start using your old CB?

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I wonder if some of the new walkie-talkies might serve your purpose? I bought a pair several years ago for my wife and I to use on a foreign trip, because we didn't want to use our cell phones except for emergencies. They were lightweight, convenient and seemed reliable out to a mile or so. Maybe a higher-end model might have even more range?
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The CB still has some use, depending on where you travel. I still have mine in the CLIPPER, and it is on any time we are traveling.

If you are on the road and held up by weather, or traffic accident, the CB will be your local source of information.

eg: We had just crested Rogers Pass eastbound, and the traffic come to a stop. No AM or FM radio up there to get traffic updates! BUT the CB kept us updated for the 4 1/2 hours that we sat there while emergency crews removed the debris and bodies from a two vehicle accident below the tunnels on the east entrance.

If you travel in ranch country, quit often you will be entertained by the guys and gals that run harvesters, trucks and other equipment in their tasks and frustrations trying to scrap out a living off the land.

And yes: My first CB was purchased from JC Penny also.
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I use a cb, it keeps me informed of road conditions ahead. The chatter is much less than it used to be but still let's me know what's going on ahead!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:45 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . and in what year BC did you start using your old CB?
So long ago I can't really remember. About the time Hannibal led his caravan across the Pyrenees, I think? It's rough being tail-end Charlie behind a herd of elephants on a mountain road!
Old 11-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It wouldn't occur to me to travel without one.

Yes, I'm a truck driver so it remains a business tool (a valuable one; as is a GPS), and I understand nearly all there is to hear (Ch19) as some or much might not make sense. Or offend (truck driving is more dangerous than it appears, so a blast of expletives across the channel isn't uncommon -- though perfectly understood -- and it's funny as the the guy it's aimed at can't hear it in his beater car. There ain't no PC on the CB, deplorable as that might seem (ha!)

I have it on in the background almost without exception. The ear trains itself to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's highest value is in real time traffic information. WAZE and the like can't compare. Not as an emergency warning that a wreck has just happened over the hill. Nor can an app in letting me know what lane to be on a freeway to get around a problem, or, best of all, help me find an alternate route when that's more time efficient.

With a personal rig of 63' this applies for me as well when vacationing. The ex didn't like listening to it, so I used an earpiece.

Today's big trucks are pretty much all plastic thus sufficient counterpoise is a real problem. Lots of guys don't bother to correct this. Or have terrible performance and think it normal. So one doesn't hear as much as one used to.

I've spent several thousand on gear, equipment and such. Big truck, my pickup, and the Silver Streak. Audio quality, as it were (such as West Mtn Radio ClearSpeaker). Don't have an antenna analyzer, but I've paid a shop in San Antonio every time I'm in a different truck to help me get that last bit of performance. Etc.

The problem with today's personal vehicles is where to mount a transceiver and speaker. There's just not the room there once was, cars or pickups. Time to be creative. Thus enthusiast boards for that brand/model are best place to start.

Based on a recent thread on RadioReference and the product announcement YouTube video on the new Uniden 885 has me aimed that direction. A combination CB & scanner is right up my alley. Means two more antennas (GPS and a Larsen tri-band) to run it, but the truck driver on that thread said he'd buy another if he lost this one (how I feel about my Garmin GPS). I knew exactly what he meant. Truck driving is all about time management.

What otherwise? Well, in the last three years I've pulled over twice to make phone calls for guys who's phones had gone dead and were broke down. I had enough range transmit & receive to relay information. Same for my being on a bad road at dark o'thirty wondering if I wasn't about to drive off the edge of the planet.

Were I travelling with others it'd be a great way to keep together. Done that many times with other drivers.

Technically, it's outdated. Realistically, it's worth more than the amateur bands.

Just don't expect to buy a plugs-in-the-cigar-lighter with a controls-in-the-mike and depending on a cheap mag mount antenna to get much in return. It'll work, but not great by any means.

Install is big. Vehicle manufacturer instructions on how to install a two way receiver are best. There is at least one board where those who install for police, fire etc show their handiwork (plus custom mounts and consoles).

Were I today starting from scratch on the pickup I'd run power from the battery to a Galaxy 86 (or Anytone 66 or Lincoln 2) with an RK56 mike and then to an NMO mount with a Larsen NMO-27 antenna. Same speaker mentioned above. A fair amount of vehicle bonding. Work by me and otherwise from/by Clay's Radio Shop in San Antonio. But that's more than most will want to spend, I'd guess. Would have to pull headliner and a fair amount of trim. The same trouble the HAM crowd goes to.

There isn't a week goes by the CB doesn't save or make money for me. It's peace of mind otherwise. And occasionally genuine LOL entertainment.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have an extra class ham license so I like radios. I have a 2 meter/ 70cm dual band in my truck and I also have a CB.
I don't use the CB much but when traffic seems snarled or it looks like getting off the interstate would be a good idea it is nice to listen to the truckers and see what is going on up ahead.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The problem with today's personal vehicles is where to mount a transceiver and speaker. There's just not the room there once was, cars or pickups.
This is true ... CB radio easily fit under the dash of that old Ford (circa 1965).

Today, I had a hard time finding a place to park my trailer-brake controller, a not-very-big bit of electronics.

Mag-mount antenna ... that’s what I used. I had good luck with it, but I was no CB aficionado.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I have a CB in the truck because I have a CB donut might as well be in the truck.

It's just a basic model and it's tucked under the seat on the tunnel so I reach down to turn it on/off or change channels.

I get good real time traffic information and the banter is a good form of entertainment, although some of the language isn't appropriate for my kids.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Back in my boating days, I had a marine VHF.
I'd cringe when I'd hear another boater call, "Breaker, breaker, Coast Guard, you got your ears on? Mom-back."

Then, the best thing about CB was it kept certain people off of real radios.

But I did have one for when two cars travelled together and we'd find an unused channel to communicate.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote