Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Chattanooga to Chicago route

Till is having computer issues, and asked me to post this for him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
For some reason I can not post a new thread??? I was hopping to see what the general ideas were for my return route. Could you post this one for me??

Looking for thoughts on my route home from Chattanooga. Once I hit Nashville I have a choice of taking;
A. 24 to 57 to 74 or
B. 65 to 74

I'm trying to avoid the whole 80, 80-90 crap around Chicago.

This being my first tow with the Caprice I was hopping for the less traveled
route and flatter. The wife and kids will be on point with the other family car the whole way.

I do not know if it should be in the "On the road" or "Our community" . I have been trying the On the road.

Tedd
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:50 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Looking at the map you would think that the I65 route would take you a lot further east. I've driven the 24 to 57 route many times and its good highway. If I remember correctly there is one long climb out of Chattanooga on I24. I thought that was on the north edge of town. Once on I57 I cut off west at I64 to head back to STL so the route north of I64 on I57 is somewhat unknown, other than its pretty lonely.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Thank you Tom.

I still can not start a thread, but a reply seems to work?!?!?!?!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #4
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Where are you in Chattanooga?

Where are you in Chattanooga? I am here and would like to meet you if you will be here for a few days.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Kathy,
I will be in Chattanooga on the night of the 26th and 27th. I have to run down just South of Atlanta to pick up my new trailer (The overlander)
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
I'll pm you my phone number as a Chattanooga contact. I would love to see your "new" trailer too!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Till!

I just completed an eight-hour tour of the I-74 - - I-57 - - I-24 corridor with my '78 Minuet and Suburban. You will find that there are three bridge/interchange construction projects with the resultant "Lane-Shifts" with the horribly uneven pavement and potholes in the lane that spans the shoulder - - these include one shortly after the I-24/I-57 interchange (Near Marion, IL), the next is probably about 20 miles North (Near Benton, IL), and the third is just South of Effingham, IL.

Since I am not a fan of these "Lane-Shift" road repair areas when towing either of my coaches, I would travel IL-37 North (can easily be accessed from IL-146 West Exit from I-24 - - Vienna, IL) to US 45 North (Intersects I-57 near Arcola, IL or Tuscola, IL) - - both roads are very good, and take very little additional time when towing a trailer. The only reason that I avoided this route was the fact that I was traveling after dusk and didn't want to have any unwanted arguments with the local wildlife.

You won't find many obstacles on I-74 other than the normal construction and congestion around Bloomington/Normal. The US-150 Bypass that takes you from the beginning of the construction area out around the Mitsubishi plant eliminates all but a few hundred feet of the construction (I have been using this bypass for nearly three years - - it is a real stress saver) - - this bypass may not be the best alternate if you want to head North on either I-39 or I-55 (I have always been continuing on I-74 to the Quad Cities).

The one thing to be prepared for along I-57 are "ruts" in the pavement - - they are not readily apparent (especially after dark), but cause the tow vehicle and trailer to shimmy almost as if yaw is trying to develop. The problem isn't continuous, rather is sporadic and in areas where the road hasn't been resurfaced for quite some time - - there is a rather long stretch South of Effingham.

If you find yourself looking for a place to eat with parking for your coach, Dolly's Place in Vienna, IL (about 1.25 miles East of the IL 146 Exit on I-24) has family-style dining with very good food and quite reasonable prices. For delightful Pennsylvania Dutch style cooking, the Dutch Kitchen in Arcola,IL (Exit 203 on IL-57) is excellent (it has been one of my regular stops since 1972) - - they are located downtown - - I follow the signs from the highway and park my coach along the street about two or three blocks South of Main Street (from what I have been able to learn, this is fairly standard practice as this is a tourist area) - - again, the Dutch Kitchen is family style dining with moderate prices and a small but excellent salad bar.

Good luck with your journey!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Till, if you are hunting "the road less traveled", look at US 41 through Indiana. You access it from I-24, just after crossing into Kentucky. Take US 41 and the Parkway north to Henderson, KY. At Henderson, you get back on US 41 and it takes you to the greater Chicago area in northern Indiana. North of Terre Haute, you should take Indiana 63 north and it rejoins US 41 north of I-74. This alternate route (US 41/IN 63) is four lane divided highway, but it is not limited access. It goes through all the towns along the way. It is a smooth, easy drive and it should be a little shorter than the I-57 alternative.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 AM   #9
BAUXITE

2004 25' Classic
homosassa , Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Till is having computer issues, and asked me to post this for him:
Have driven both many times. Like I24 to I 57. You miss traffic around Indy and the mess of traffic near Gary.
Ed Keyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Kevin, Sam,

That is just what I'm looking for!! Right now I'm still in the midst of ironing out the details. It looks like there are still a few speed bumps to deal with. I hope that none of them kill the project.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I recently came through the I-65, 80-90 route into and then through Chicago. The construction is finished. Road is smooth, wide and easy to drive. Further the Skyway is now finished and if you are going into Chicago this is the way to go.