Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
I make the bed everyday whether we are in the house or in the AS because it makes me feel as if something has been accomplished even if I do nothing else the rest of the day. It just looks nice to me. Because I make the bed everyday and I do laundry, (I like doing laundry), Chris chose to be the one to put the sheets on the bed after laundry is finished. He hates it but he does it for me. One of many things to love about this man He says that we should sew the top sheet to the bottom sheet so that it's easier to make and stays tucked in. He is the one who pulls the sheets and blankets apart when he sleeps so I'm not sure how this would work for him. I think that perhaps he finds sheets around his feet to be bothersome. I know I don't like sheets tight around my feet and for this reason I only tuck in the top sheet loosely. On the other hand, since I switched over to flannel in the house for cold weather, he is not tearing the bed all to pieces as he usually does. Hmmmmmm....

We refitted our Airstream with a fullsize Memory Foam type mattress, 10 or 12 inches thick. To sleep in is WONDERFUL! (cue choir of angels) To put sheets on one, heavy & tiresome, but in the back of a 1988 AS 325 Motorhome Classic? It's like dressing a dead Kodiak Bear in zippered footie pajamas while you are both locked inside of a 12-boy Bear Box.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
It is quite a challenge but there are a few tricks - maybe we'll write a book about how to do it or demo it at a rally. I bought the custom mattress pad and sheets from the Airstream store - not sure if AB was the manufacturer but let me save you the trouble!!! Cheap!!!! Quality was not good and mattress pad and sheets will set you back a few hundred dollars or more!!! I have the bed with rounded bottoms and clipped head on one side so I thought the custom sheets would be the ticket - wrong! Not much better than the jerseys. The mattress pad was so thin it reminded me more of an interface type fabric - you would get a thicker one at Wal-Mart. I make the bed every morning - it's a good way to get hubby up and out the door - he goes far, far away for fear he might have to make it! Actually it's my trade off for having 'too many' decorative pillows!
Seemore2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:49 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
If you are talking about the corner bed that is surrounded by walls on mostly 3 sides, it is indeed wrestlemania! Best advice I got is first, ditch the bedspread. ...there's no way to cram it into the space between the long wall and mattress if you have any other bedding . Second, jersey sheets do help, but I , too, still would like to know how you can lift that back corner while you are on hands and knees on top of the mattress!!??😁 I generally use a mattress pad that's like a fitted sheet that I don't change often, then use a flat sheet crammed in next to the walls and tucked under on the front corner with whatever comforter , blanket , etc. that is seasonally appropriate.
I don't understand how others are lifting up the mattress from underneath to put on the fitted rear corners....?
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:25 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2006 19' Safari
Hilton Head Island , South Carolina
Well....I thought since I was NEW to all of this...IT MUST BE ME!!! But now I feel better...I am not alone! I will keep working at it and somehow come up with a workable solution since I can't keep sleeping on the same sheets forever. I made the mistake of taking them OFF after our FIRST trip...so I HAVE to change them now. I ordered the special AS mattress pad and special 600 Thread Count sheets but gave up after 15 minutes of trying to put them on myself....and burning at least 1,000 calories (YEAH!!!!) I will try again tomorrow after I have rested.
Darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Seemore2006, I believe that the AS Store and AB Lifestyles are entirely different suppliers. I am very happy with my AB sheets and mattress pad. See links in Post No. 5.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It is a camper. With that in mind and for those that the struggle is overwhelming, I have seen a sheet and blanket assembly not unlike a large sleeping bag. I don't think anything was tucked in, just laid out on the bed over a fitted sheet that might be in place to protect the mattress and look somewhat decent.

There is a full time Airstream couple who occasionally post here that were using something like this.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 20' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
We have a 20ft Flying Cloud so the bed is tucked away between a closet and dividing wall. It is a real challenge. I get on the bed and tuck the outside side and corners in as well as I can. Then I get off and lift the long side of the mattress (side facing me) upwards to the over bed cabinets. This makes it easier to reach the underside of the outside corners so I can grab and pull the sheets to the right position. The front, long side is easy after that. This is doable because the mattress is light weight.

Henry - "experience is what you get..... right after you need it."
HAschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We use a double-size mattress pad and sheets, To change the sheets, I turn the mattress up on its side while still on the bed frame and place the fitted sheet around the mattress. I end up standing on the bed frame to do this,, but I find it a lot quicker than trying to get the sheet around the mattress while it is laying flat. We don't worry much about the top flat sheet and any blanket, just that it covers us!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:21 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
I don't understand how others are lifting up the mattress from underneath to put on the fitted rear corners....?
That's why I sewed elastic diagonally across the corners rather than using sheet garters. I get on the bed on my knees and use the elastic like dental floss sliding it between the mattress and the plywood underneath it. Once the top two corners are under they can't pop out. So I can get off the bed and tuck in the bottom two corners. I then snug the whole far side under the mattress by using another elastic strap I sewed in across the middle. The bottom and open side of the bed I can finish tucking in the sheet by hand.

Oh and to keep the mattress from sliding on the plywood - two lengths of the padded shelf liner - crossways - one above the hinge and one below. It becomes a LIFT and move the mattress rather than just sliding it. I thought I'd have to staple it to the plywood, but that isn't needed.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:39 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
We use the rv superbag https://www.rvsuperbag.com

Basically a large rectangular sleeping bag with sheets velcro'ed to the comforters. Toss it on the bed - done!

They recommend purchasing a king size for a queen size bed. We did that and we're not sorry.

They are expensive. If you're handy with a sewing machine and can source some long zippers, you could make one.

DJ
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
mens suppenders with alligator clips work wonders get them heavy duty kind. they elas

[QUOTE=Darsey;1726265]Can someone please tell me what is the TRICK to changing the sheets on the full sized bed in a 19 foot Safari??? Is it even POSSIBLE to do this without breaking your back...or arms... Or legs...or all of the above? We just got our Airstream and love it...but really...HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE SHEETS ON THAT BED????
help!E]
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
I make my kids do it for me. Seriously
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Rocky Mount , North Carolina
OK this is how we do it. First this A/S has twins? I could not sleep in them. Too narrow. So we made a Queen on top of them. Then we got a 2 in temper pedis style "topper". We got queen sheets that came with elastic garters on the fitted bottom. So Harry gets up at the far end and puts the corners on and then I put on the other two corners. Then we put on the top sheet. And then we use on of the twin down comforters in the twin duvet. The material of the top sheet is rather clingy and sticks to the Duvet. The sheets are LIKE microfiber but are not. Anyway with this warm Decmber, we have not needed to put the other twin duvet comforter on top but I keep it handy just in case. This system has worked well this winter. We don't try to make the bed "perfect" in the morning. This ain't no king size bed in a house. I just fold the sheet and comforter down in a half to air the whole mess out all day. I wish I had converted to the queen bed three winters back. Hope that helps somebody. Remember: the hassle of bed making is worth the ability to walk to the beach anytime we want and be there in a minute.
Sunnysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
We have the 22 FB, so the bed is 54 wide, 84 long at the edge, and curved at the other side.

Cut up the u-g-l-y white AS bedspread to use as a mattress pad. The 2015 Sport factory bedspread looked like a mattress pad, with the dumb fold over pillow cover. I just hacked it up with scissors to cut off the fold over pillow cover part. The remaining is used as a mattress pad under the bottom sheet.

I use regular queen sheets. A set we had that was from JC Penney and all cotton. Not that slick wrinkle free finish either (I am allergic to it). Just regular all cotton probably 300-400 thread count sheets.

Put on the bottom sheet. Just spread over the mattress. Tuck in the top and bottom on the edge while standing. Get on the mattress on your knees, tuck in along top bottom and curved sides.

Stand back up on the floor. Spread out the top sheet. Tuck in the bottom on the edge while standing. Get on the mattress on your knees and tuck in the bottom and side by the window.

Add comforter. An old Lands End pima cotton queen size. Again not that slippery wrinkle free kind. Pull up to the top where you want the edge to be. Tuck under on the side by the edge. Get back on the bed and tuck under the bottom and along the side by the window.

Now just add the pillows.

This seriously takes only a few minutes and isn't that hard.

I wonder if folks who are having trouble are using that newer slippery no-iron finish.
(Read about what's in that and you may not want to sleep next to it for 8 hour a day.)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I was thinking about this but then you cant poke your toes out when your feet get hot...
https://www.rvsuperbag.com
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
I gave up on making the bed after a few trips. Instead, I bought a featherbed which ended up around the same size as the mattress and has the added benefit of providing more padding/support than the mattress.

The underlying mattress is made permanently with a fitted sheet held underneath by the elastic straps. The featherbed has a washable cover but I cover it additionally with a fitted sheet that is easily removed and washed. I then just use a regular duvet on top.

Making the "bed" is now a total breeze and it's quite cosy. In fact, this past week in 40-ish temperatures, I didn't even turn on the furnace.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote