Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
2006 19' Safari
Hilton Head Island , South Carolina
Changing sheets on full sized bed

Can someone please tell me what is the TRICK to changing the sheets on the full sized bed in a 19 foot Safari??? Is it even POSSIBLE to do this without breaking your back...or arms... Or legs...or all of the above? We just got our Airstream and love it...but really...HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE SHEETS ON THAT BED????
help!!!!
Darsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Beats me, I end up cussing my bed every time I have to make it up.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
We remove the mattress to outside the trailer, make it, then return to the trailer
nsbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
We switched to using jersey type sheets. They are a little more forgiving when trying to wrestle them into place as they stretch easily.
When changing out the bedding, I usually break out in a sweat, pull a full muscles and collapse in exhaustion after 10 min - but I count it as "activity" points towards my weight loss plan.
Stretchy jersey sheets work pretty well. Good luck!
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbcpa View Post
We remove the mattress to outside the trailer, make it, then return to the trailer
You can buy Airstream sheets (and mattress pads) that are custom-sized. In addition to the bottom sheet having fitted corners, the top sheet also has fitted corners at the foot end, so that making the bed outside, or in the hallway vertically on-edge, is fairly easy to do. Our Flying Cloud 20 bed is less restrictive, but we lift up the mattress every which way to "make it."

Also On The Road Again, we try to be less demanding about the bed being neat, ya know, go with the flow kinda stuff . . .

Wild Child, have you used the jersey sheets in hot humid weather without A/C? NG IMO.

Fitted mattress pads and sheets. Excellent all-cotton quality IMO:

http://stores.ebay.com/AB-Lifestyles...p2047675.l2563

See also: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...ets-92677.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
It's a big challenge. I think some people just buy a mattress topper, than tuck the bottom sheet around it. We struggled with the mattress pad & bottom sheet, and used a duvet over top in our first AS. This one came with the oddest looking (gold tone) bed spread I've ever seen. It is really contoured to fit the bed, with really short sides facing the walls and longer sides facing the interior, but then there is sort of a reversed top flap that folds back over the pillows. Whoever designed this system probably didn't make the bed regularly. Do what you can to protect your back.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
It's actually simple - after you spend 10 minutes with your bottom sheet, a sewing machine, and some elastic. I have the 25 FB with the sideways queen. Standard queen fitted sheets are 6 inches too long and then there's the weird rounded top corner.

You can get "sheet garters" which help tighten sheets a lot. I just sewed them in 10 inches from each "corner". I sew 2 pieces of elastic on the curved corner, about 4 inches apart so I never mistakenly try to put the sheet on upside down, and only one piece over each other corner, Plus One more piece 3 feet long that just hangs from the far side in the middle of the bed. So throw the sheet over the mattress, then tuck the elastic corners under the top of the mattress. Lift the top of the mattress slightly and the elastic pulls the sheet under. Go to the bottom of the bed, lift the mattress, and pull down on the sheet, then loop the last two corners overbottom. While still lifting reach over and grab the elastic piece hanging down on the side of the bed - drop the mattress while holding that piece of elastic and pull it hard, tucking in the far side of the sheet. Tuck in the near side and your bottom sheet is on - up tight too. I just loosely tuck the top flat sheet into the bottom of the bed.... Like my toes free. I've considered putting snaps on the wall side of the sheet and on the plywood under the mattress, but no. It's easy enough to pull up the comforter and shove the pillows into shams. (trying to do a neat fold over and put the pillows under the spread? Too much like work. I make a loose sham.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I haven't found it to be a problem, but I use a fitted sheet only (no top sheet). Then, I have a duvet in a cover. The duvet cover and bottom sheet get washed after each outing. Messing with a top sheet would be annoying.

I have a corner bed like you, and I bought a "double" fitted sheet with an elastic all the way around. It's a little big, but not noticeable.

How I put on my bottom (fitted) sheet:
-start at the curved wall, farthest from where you are standing. Cram as much of the "corner" of the sheet down there.
-move across to the area next to the bathroom, and cram the sheet down.
-move to the foot of the bed next to the outside wall, and cram the sheet down.
-tuck last corner under as normal (closest to where you are standing)
-lift the mattress and reach under and across to the first corner and pull the corner towards you. If you have elastic all the way around, the sheet will curl nicely underneath. Done!

I can put the fitted sheet on my Airstream bed faster than my bed at home. The mattress is small and light. Once you find your groove, it's easy.

I wouldn't wrestle daily with a top sheet, though.

Good luck!
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We boondock frequently, and find standard bedding impractical.

My wife uses a mattress cover to protect the mattress. Then, she spreads a thermal blanket over the cover where it provides extra padding and is available for emergency use.

On top of this, we use two sleeping bags, zipped together. During the day, they look like an overstuffed comforter; and at night, we are warm down to freezing, an unlikely temperature inside an occupied Airstream.

To make the bed, we simply zip up the sleeping bags and straightening them on the mattress.

We use a long body pillow as a headboard and store extra clothes, folded, underneath the "headboard" and pillows.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It's another one of the reasons we got twins this time.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I've been considering the elastic sheet garters for the rounded edge of my mattress. I'm assuming they do actually work from the posts here. I too use just a bottom fitted sheet and a duvet
My first and only thought about the bed in the 19 when I first saw it was 'how do you make up that bed!'
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
Madison , Wisconsin
Send a message via ICQ to slpiotro
sheets and oh Sh@#

We struggle with the full size on our 23 foot. We use one of the mattress topper breathable covers, and then we put on queen sized regular fitted sheet on the bottom, and queen on the top. The elastic on the fitted pulls it in and mostly keeps it in place, and the extra size on the top helps keep the wall side person covered. We then use reg. or queen blankets and cover. The extra size allows us to keep warm with less heat wasted, and they also allow you to make the bed easier.

Previously we used the elastic clips crossing under the mattress, but this works just about as well.

As someone else said, don't sweat the small stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
No matter how you slice it or dice it, changing sheets on my double bed takes considerable planning - not to mention effort.

1) I use fitted sheets from Penny's.

2) I generally open windows because changing sheets is a physical workout.

3) I pull the mattress a few inches away from the wall to allow easier access.

4) I get on all fours (on top of the bed) and fit one corner at a time counterclockwise (where you start is trial and error and ultimately, depends upon preference): bottom sheet; top sheet; blanket; bedspread; winter quilt (if needed).

BTW - No matter how hard you try, there will be a few lumps when you're done. So, be gentle with yourself.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Denver , North Carolina
AB-Lifestyles.net will solve you dilemma!
Murphalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphalex View Post
Link in Post No. 5.

A simple solution . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
"Is it even POSSIBLE to do this without breaking your back...or arms... Or legs...or all of the above?"

Nope. That's a big reason I "graduated" to an RV who's bed was accessible on three sides.

If you think it's hard to do now, wait until you get older.....
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphalex View Post
well, the sheets will fit, but you still have to put them on.

If you're ordering from them and use a topper, let them know in advance and for $10 extra they'll make them big enough for the topper.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We replaced the stock 23D mattress with a 10" custom Rocky Mountain mattress. We had them make a fitted mattress cover and bottom sheet and top sheet. The top sheet has a foot that goes down and under the bottom of the mattress so it will not pull out.

We also have a custom sized comforter we had made in Vietnam.

I put the mattress with outside edge up and leaning in the opening and install the bedding and then lay it back down. Then I work on the inside edge by the shower. The comforter goes over the top and the edges pushed down between the wall and the mattress.

Not a favorite activity, but just slightly more challenging than the twin beds in the Classic.

We had 8" Rocky Mountain twin mattresses made for the Classic and used the Airstream custom bedpad and 600 thread sheets which fit well. We also have similar comforters we had made in Vietnam.

We also carry the proper size Pendleton wool blanket(s) in case of a heater failure in cold weather.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:18 PM   #19
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
This is easy. The Mrs. just tells me to do it. We are thinking a bit of custom work will help. New mattress certainly helped the comfort part. This is one area where using the stuff around the house comes up a bit short. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Attleboro , Massachusetts
I don't have so much problem making the bed, but I do have problems with the matteress sliding. It moves around some while I'm traveling but it's worst just from getting in and out of bed. And maybe a frisky dog who likes to jump on it doesn't help. I have a think pad that's supposed to keep area rugs from sliding but that doesn't do much.
romeb is offline   Reply With Quote