Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Central Ohio to the Southwest

We've talked about it for some time but today we decided that we would attempt to spend the winter ELSEWHERE than in an Ohio WINTER!! We thought about Florida but have decided that the southwest might be the best for us. QUESTIONS that I have: Is there a best route to get from central Ohio to the Phoenix area? When is a good time to leave to avoid potential heavy storms?? (I understand that one could get caught in a storm in August - I'm thinking basic rules for avoiding winter weather on the road). Is it better to stay in a single place or move around after 2-3 weeks? Do you have a favorite RV Resort you really like? This is all so very new to us and we keep coming up with more questions so I thought I would throw it out to the knowledgeable AIRFORUMS group. What have you learned about wintering in Arizona or New Mexico that is worthy of being passed on to a beginner of this life style?? We are open to anything and everything - and we appreciate your comments very much. Thank you, in advance.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
My streets and trips program says the most direct route to Phoenix, AZ is through Indianapolis, St Louis, Springfield, MO, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, then continue on HWY 40 to Flagstaff, then south to PHX. If there is something else you want to see along the way on a more southern route I'm sure any route would be a fun adventure with new experiences.

Lots of people like to spend the winter in Yuma. There's lots to do there and good seasonal rates in most RV parks. A day trip to Algodones, Mexico is a must as is Quartzsite, AZ when you are in the area. During the last two weeks of January the tiny town of Quartzsite grows, some say to 1,000,000 RVers, most who dry camp out in the desert. I go every year. It's crowded but there's a big huge tent that has everything RVers need or could ever think of needing. Well, almost. And lots of other swap meet/flea market areas to browse though. You just relax, slow down and deal with the crowds. There's a "Pit Stop" were you can dump and fill your water and propane. There are RV parks too if you really need hookups.

If you really feel adventurous you can head over to Niland, CA and experience The Slabs. If you Google it, it should come up. North of the Slabs is the Fountain of Youth RV Park. It's a fun adventure with hot spring pools to soak in and swim in.

There's so much to see and do in Southern AZ in the winter. I hope you go for it and have a great time!!

RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Thanks RV H-D Lady. I've got all the trip planners I need. I've programmed it for several different ways of getting from here to there - what I NEED is help from folks that make the trip regularly. This is a new adventure for us - neither of us having EVER been to New Mexico or Arizona and we really don't know what to expect. Temp. differences - due to elevation?? Don't know!! Snow, hot, rain, warm, mild....don't know! We just have no idea of where to head once we get there - I see places to stay all over the Phoenix area with an abundance of them east of town. I KNOW some are better than others but we JUST DON'T KNOW what's out there. We really do need some assistance with this, folks. Those of you that have been there over and over have so much knowledge about the area, we just need for you to share a small bit of it. Maybe we want to go to Yuma.....we don't know!! ANYTHING you can offer will be of help to us. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYTHING. H E L P, please.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would recommend roaming a bit, if you have never been to New Mexico and Arizona.

Taos, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, etc., in NM and especially Sedona in Arizona are especially beautiful and would be worth the time to spend at least a few days in each.

Beautiful states with lots of history and lots to see, also artsy with many pretties to bring back home.

Maggie
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
I agree with doug&maggie, those are great places to visit, but be sure to check the weather. If you go too late in the fall you could hit snow in some of those places as they have fairly high altitudes.
RV H-D Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Pilgrim.

We went out West with a group from our "old car" club, with the destination being Pueblo, CO. On the way we drove parts of Rt. 66, which was a thrill for us (but, you need to know that it is not "complete" any longer -- you need to go off and on Rt. 66). We saw so much of our country, it was great.

We had planned to go to Sedona, AZ after Sante Fe, NM, but our rear end went out of our 1936 Ford, so we had a two-day delay for repairs to that -- all was well in the end though. We were fortunate we were able to limp into Sante Fe, so we spent the two extra days there -- fantastic!! I'd say, don't miss it! We stayed in the famous hotel right downtown (no TT then, just our old cars), and walked all over the downtown area. The Indians set up along one side, I can't remember for sure, but I think it is a downtown square and they use one side for selling fantastic jewelry. Be warned though, it's difficult to walk away empty handed (and you can get them down on the pricing, somewhat).

One place I would say to not miss going to when in Sante Fe, NM is "Tia Sophia's", it's a restaurant which has the most delicious food. I believe I had the most mouth watering blueberry pancakes I've ever had in my entire life; I'd love to have the recipe! Everyone else in our group loved their breakfast also.

Pueblo, CO was where we were headed for the NSRA car show, so our time there was spent at the show and I can't really advise about what to see and do there, except there was a delicious Mexican restaurant there that was to die for, I think the name of it was "Horjes", my spelling is probably off. It gets very busy there but it is well worth the wait, much, much better than anything we have here in Ohio.

Have fun and I'm jealous if you get to either of those restaurants. Actually, if we make it to Albequerque, NM, October, 2011, for the Balloon Fest, we plan to go at least to Sante Fe, NM and Sedona, AZ (as well as some other touring around).

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote