Old 12-10-2002, 10:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

CDLs and Motorhomes..

Now, I'm not a MH'er so I'll need a bit of input here (I pull a bullet). My father-in-law checked out a new MH at a west Texas dealer, it was a 31' MH. The salesman told him he would need CDL to drive it. Personally I say the salesman is FOS to the top of his boots, but then maybe I am, not knowing all Texas laws. Oscar

Old 12-11-2002, 05:35 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

CDL's are federally regulated drivers license's.

Here are the basic criteria:

Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.

A vehicle required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials

Old 12-11-2002, 05:41 AM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
any with air brakes

you can add to the above list any vehicle with air brakes.

john

oh yeah, if you are going to cross state lines you'll need a medical card.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Emergency vehicles, Recreational Vehicles, and Farm trucks are exempt from CDL.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would be looking for a different salesperson.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
When I was buying my 345, I checked with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and was told the RV's did not need any special license.

To this day, I am shocked that the increasingly larger and much heavier RV's running around driven by people with just a standard license they earned in their Honda Civic. My opinion is that some kind of special RV license will be needed in the future. I know I don't drive peacefully knowing the idiot in the 39 foot 40,000 pound rig behind me has no formal training or education. Heck, it scares me that I drive my unit!

Add to the mix that many RV drivers are 60+ years old and health and ability limitations creep into the mix.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 03:28 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I think the key to the CDL is the C = Commercial
Old 12-11-2002, 04:10 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I know that at least once a year the good sam magazine has an article regarding this. Their lobbists work hard at the state and federal level to keep the additional liscense from becoming a reality.

They also help with conenant fighst, and excessive tag/taxes on RV's as well as making sure that the stae and federal gov. does not become to limiting toward where we can drive our RV's

Fred, I agree with you regarding the issue of size vs. experience. Some of the RV sales people I have talked to say they try to steer the prospective buyer into soming smaller due to size of some of the coaches they are looking at, but when the 70+ year old guy says he wants a 40 foot $500,000.00 motorhome the customer wins.

The only thing I can see that could resolve the issue is mandated testing and limits like are placed on Motorcycle addendums. You are rated to drive up to a certain wieght limit, and if you upgrade coaches you have to re-certify.

This would require a whole additional level of employees at the DMV Or schools that offer driver training. I know that some dealers require that the new owner take a driving course with their new motorhome and an instructor as part of the delivery.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 02:52 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

I thought I was right in thinking....

RV's were exempt from CDL's. I talked to my Father-in-Law last night and he said that it was a desiel pusher with an Allison tranny (SOB MH). When he asked the salesman what make the motor was, he didn't know! All dad said was "I won't talk to that idiot again!" Makes me wounder if the Manager knows how uninformed his salesman is!? Oscar
Old 12-13-2002, 05:45 AM   #10
Krazykraut

CDL's and Motorhomes.

When I bought my coach, the Ins Co ask if I had a CDL, which I do. They gave my 15% of the premiums(Progressive Ins). I do think, that some vehicles (rec or otherwise) should need a indorsment on the driver license. You ever pass one of them bed over cap modified pickup chassy MH. They are all over the road when you pass them.
Some MH are just better designed then others.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

CDL

I think it is reasonable to expect that folks operating vehicles on public highways have some minimal competency for their vehicle. I don't advocate a driving test (the last one I had was a joke). A simple written test that at least requires people to understand some basics seems in order.

In my case, I have both CDL and motorcycle endorsements. I find it mildly amusing that I pay more for the motorcycle endorsement than I do for my CDL.