Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
The four wheel drive worked fine. The 2011 F250 was steady as a rock and has been wonderful this whole trip. A few days ago I looked at my friend's hitch and notice it looked it had been changed. Apparently, he had a couple of inches cut off the bottom and when it was returned, the bolts were in different places lowering the front of the trailer. It probably compromised the WD bars and lessened the weight on the Bambi's single axle. I think that may have contributed to the fishtail. We have since readjusted the hitch.
I also feel the weight and the advantage of two axles on my 27' FB helped maintain stability. I never felt anything unusual but it was still scary. I remember I had a F350 with a Lance cabover camper on it and it maxed out it's total weight. I believe weight gives you an advantage (as long as you don't abuse it) in the snow as I seldom had to switch to FWD with that combination.
In over 30 years of owning a FWD truck, and only had to put chains on both axles of the truck when caught in a snow storm many, many years ago in the CA Donner Summit area. These days they just close the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homer campground Airstreams.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	159688   Click image for larger version

Name:	lots of this view.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	159689  

The ability to follow instructions is highly underrated.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
House Springs , Missouri
Wow - how beautiful - just awesome views. Looks like the weather is great now. I'm glad you both made it through the rough weather just fine.

Thanks for sharing,

Tina and Mike
1959 Avion e-20
oh2bcarefree is offline   Reply With Quote