Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Huh, I posted I carry into Canada, have four cabins and have dogs and we have been stalked and attacked by black bears. Never had to actually shoot one, but did have to fire once about ten years ago, which is why I bring the weapons in. No offense meant to any Canadian brothers or sisters, I carry in the US for other reasons as well as animals.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
None taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Huh, I posted I carry into Canada, have four cabins and have dogs and we have been stalked and attacked by black bears. Never had to actually shoot one, but did have to fire once about ten years ago, which is why I bring the weapons in. No offense meant to any Canadian brothers or sisters, I carry in the US for other reasons as well as animals.
No offense taken...it's clearly what you are comfortable with. I go backcountry hiking and canoeing with my young children regularly, and did so as a child as well. Many wildlife encounters (black bear, grizzly bear, cougars), but never have I thought I needed to take a gun with me (bear spray and bear bangers are sufficient for me). Yet when I cross the border into Detroit or Buffalo I get nervous that I'm going to be the subject of the next CSI, Criminal Minds, Law & Order, etc....! Obviously I'm not comfortable there and suddenly want my gun!

Now, any answers to my original question about me taking my rifle across the American border?

Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Back to the original question

I thought I'd be able to find the answer about bringing a firearm from Canada on the US Customs website. I finally found this, but it took quite a search. They seem much more concerned about guns moving out of the US.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...m%2Fammunition

Another source of information would be the National Rifle Association. In addition to their well-publicized political activities, they are a great source of information about guns and shooting sports.

I agree with you that some of our cities are scary. You can relax once you're truly in redneck country. There everyone has a gun, and everyone knows it; therefore people are really nice to one another.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bows and arrows anyone? They are not contraband.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by afneill View Post
For the reasons you listed I took a shotgun with me last year on a trip through Canada on the way to Alaska. I got the information from Canada on what was required to transport a shotgun ( or rifle) through their country, followed the instructions as written, and had absolutely no problems. Transporting a handgun through is considerably more involved and I have not tried that. When I arrived at the border I was asked the standard questions about what I was carrying, fruit, meat, etc., and the answers were no, then about a firearm. I answered yes and he sent me to park out of the way and come inside the building. When I got in there an officer was already on the computer checking me out and the original officer asked me questions, one of which was when was the last time I was in court, the answer to which was, never. The officer on the computer came to the front and I gave him the three copies I had filled out. He suggested we use only one and then make copies. They collected $25.00 and sent me on my way. I do have a Texas CHL and no blemishes on my record. I had the gun in a case with a trigger lock on the gun and separated from the ammunition but they never asked nor checked it. Others may have a different experience but mine was very smooth. The reason I checked on the form for having the gun was to transport it through to Alaska. On their form I did not mention any other reason.
I temporarily imported a sporting shotgun into Canada several times for goose hunting without problems. Last time I went, you could bring two boxes of shells with the shotgun duty free.
Handguns are tightly regulated and importation of one is as a practical matter impossible.
I believe the regulations for sporting long guns are the same as for shotguns.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
For us ... bear spray was not allowed; they did return the spray to us when we returned to the US.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I believe the regulations for sporting long guns are the same as for shotguns.
It is apparently easier to bring an AR-15 into Canada than it is to bring a hand gun from the reading I've done. A lot of this is a result of the massive handgun database and registry Canada used to have that failed and they abolished.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:29 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Fonthill , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekey View Post
It is apparently easier to bring an AR-15 into Canada than it is to bring a hand gun from the reading I've done. A lot of this is a result of the massive handgun database and registry Canada used to have that failed and they abolished.

Just a point of clarification, it was a "long gun" registration that was recently scrapped. The hand gun registration is still there.

Just another Canadian gun owner.
73's VE3ZPW
Unka Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
This may not be timely for your trip but here goes....We crossed the border into Canada from Sweetgrass MT on July 3, and we re-enter the US tomorrow from Dawson City.
Here is what I know to be true. You need 2 forms, one from the RCMP ( form RCMP GRC 5589 ) and one from US CBP ( form CBP 4457 ). You can transport a rifle and shotgun ( up to 3 weapons on that form ) into and through Canada, cost $25 for a 60 day permit. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. It clearly speels out what kind of rifle/shotgun you can take in.
BEFORE YOU CROSS THE BORDER, take the completed CBP form 4457 into the US Border office and they will stamp it. Without that form, you will have problems bringing the rifles/shotgun back into the USA.
For what it is worth, choose border crossings with care and when ask why you are wanting to transport the rifle, answer is for wildlife protection. Guns were trigger locked and in a hard case locked case, not stored in the vehicle cab. Ammo in a separate container.
If you are going to hunt in Canada, different additional forms may be required.

Ammo can be another touchy issue, in my case, I had a "common sense" amount of ammo. Pepper spray/Mace, and certain knives were not allowed, bear spray was ok.

Hope this helps.

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote