Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Simple answer is that it is no problem to carry a long gun through Canada to Alaska, or while in Canada. I've had several very bad experiences with bears and moose and would not think of going "out" for very long without a slug gun or large-bore rifle very close at hand. Others might. Fine for them.

Get the forms in advance and fill them out, but don't sign them; has to be done in front of the officers at the border - they're available on Canadian government website. Google "CAFC 909" and you'll find it. They tell you that you need them in triplicate, but I've only ever been asked for one copy (they scan it) and then when stopping at the border, be sure to tell the officer early and clearly that you have a firearm to declare. One of the acceptable reasons on the form (check the box) is "Protection against wildlife". They will then have you pull over and go into the office and pay the fee (maybe $25?) and you will get issued a permit that's good for something like three months. Only once have I had them go into the Airstream to look at the weapon ... I think they mostly were bored and wanted to see the inside of an Airstream!

The guides upon whose knowledge I rely in Canada and Alaska tell me that IF one has a bear or moose encounter that requires you to stop it, it will be sudden and stopping power is everything; they recommend slugs or a large bore rifle such as a .45-70. I've never needed to actually use the firearm, but have had several very close calls. Hasn't stopped me from going back over and over again, but I take what seem to me to be sensible precautions. Others do what they deem sensible. Ya' pays yer' money and ya' takes yer' chances.

Bon voyage!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
I agree with AirsDream.We went last summer thru Canada to Alaska and back we experienced exactly as he described. No problem at all,had to fill out a form pay $25.oo and on our way.Pleasant fellow to deal with.Remember to take the serial number in with you,you will need it for the form
Enjoy your trip we loved every minute of it and would love to go back.Most of the time no cell phone service with three different carriers!
Sings on the roadside"Emergency Call 911" i guess they mean roll down the window and yell! Service is available in the citys

Old 06-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
A question for those who have carried: What is the process returning to the US?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #18
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Thanks for bringing that up Alan. Haden't thought about it but hopefully someone will tell us how uneventful it is.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Question, what kind of storage did you have to use? Separate lock blocks for weapon and ammunition? Was looking at the forms.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
has anyone thought of the Rossi Circuit Judge as a carry? It's a 45/410 cal with a cylinder and short and compact and classified as a rifle/shotgun. I don't know what the Mounties or feds would class it as.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
A friend has one. Looks clunky but seems to be both functional and handy but as to the issue of bringing one into Canada I fear it would not pass muster. Can't call it a
"long gun" certainly. So it would be a handgun and therefore a no-no. But useful around the farm for varmits, surely. Now after reading the above post a second time, do they make one with a long barrel ???? That would certainly change things.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Here is one.
.45-70 Lever Action | Henry Repeating Arms
Old 06-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
When I went last year, I only used a trigger lock on the shotgun itself and had it in a soft case. While I don't remember where I stored the ammunition, I did have it in a separate place when going into Canada. As I said earlier, they did not ask about or check the gun in the trailer.
As for the return, remember that the paperwork you are filling out, signing and carrying with you is simply a temporary registration of the firearm in Canada, and it expires in something like 90 days, but can be renewed if necessary. When I came back from Alaska into Canada, at the border checkpoint we showed our passports and the form we got for the gun when we entered Canada. I don't remember them even asking any questions concerning the firearm. In my case it was absolutely a non-issue. While I did not mention it in my previous post, I think the time spent with the authorities while entering Canada was between 5 and 10 minutes at the most. I did enter at a rather small entry point and it was not busy.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
But, what did you do when going from Canada to Alaska? Or Canada back into the lower 48?
Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
When entering Alaska or returning to the lower 48, you are returning to U.S. soil so the question never comes up. They will want to know if you have purchased anything in Canada that you need to declare but a previously owned firearm is not something that needs to be mentioned. You could show him the Canadian registration form to verify prior ownership if that subject came up but I don't recall it being mentioned.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Good to know, thanks.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
This seems reasonable, easy, and logical. Just like almost everything else in Canada. Very adult.
It's very simple and painless process. You can download the form before you get to the border crossing, three copies, of the form to the Canadian
customs people, they check the serial number on the weapon, against the
number(s) that you have put on the form.
You pay your $25.00, if memories serves the permit is good for 2 months, and can be renewed if necessary.
A handgun isn't worth the hassle.
For whatever it's worth....

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have carried long barrels into Canada as well as pistols into Canada following the regulations and guidelines as posted previously on this post. The rules on both are pretty simply and straightforward, pistols - 4" barrel or longer is their prime rule. One must pull over, NOT take the weapons into customs, take the form - $25.00 Canadian in and be honest. Once it's in the computer it's there forever, so US customs has it when you return and IF you get pulled over while in Canada the agency pulling you over has it as well. You can not bring the weapons into Canada for personal protection from humans you can for target shooting - protection from wildlife etc.

Enjoy

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote